0

Prospective contractor says 4.0 accessible mbr door necessary. What!

CMA67 A

I’m ready to remodel my master bathroom so I’m trying to get my ducks in a row. I measured everything and called a contractor who’s name was given to me, sent him measurements with a rough draft showing a pocket door etc.. two days later (today) I spoke with him and he said “on that pocket door you have a problem, a 4.0 door is what you’ll need and you don’t have room for it”.

We both know I don’t have room for it. But I know I don’t need a 4.0 door! Does anyone not living in a mansion even need a 48” door. My MBR is a meek 85 sq ft. I’m thinking he wants to whack that from the job because it’s time-consuming. Does anyone have a better guess?

• badgergal

If by 4.0 you mean a 48" wide door that is definitely not a standard size. Did you ask for an "accessible" door. Most codes do not require an accessible door in single family homes (although it may be a good idea). It is my understanding that 36" is considered accessible.

Found this info on the web:

Interior Doors

The height for all passage doors must be a minimum of 80 inches and the standard width sizes for interior doors are 24”, 28”, 30”, 32” and 36”. The minimum recommended door width to allow persons with disabilities’ to pass through is 36 inches.

• jmm1837
    I believe a door needs to be between 32 and 48 inches to be ADA compliant. I would think anything over the minimum would be sufficient for an ordinary home.
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri

Are you sure he didn’t mean 40 inches?

• CMA67 A

Yes, I asked for an accessible door. We met this morning, he and I agreed that a 48” door is not necessary but only after he stood there and pointed out that it was necessary—again. It’s weird so I’m not giving it another thought.

I will have a detailed plan for any contractor to bid on as I’m convinced that leaving the design aspect of the remodel is better left to someone other than who’ll be doing the constructing. This way I can say ‘here’s what I need structurally, here’s where everything‘s located and here’s the materials I’ve chosen. Do you see any issues? What would your cost be to build exactly this, barring any unforeseen issues?’

If anyone has any recommendations at all please share.

Thank you all for responding.

• Garderner2014

Just finished a master bath, the pocket door is 30 inches. Be sure to ask for a soft close pocket door.

CMA67 A thanked Garderner2014
    Charles Ross Homes

In order to be ADA compliant, the clear width of a door opening needs to be between 32" and 48" However, residential construction is not subject to ADA requirements. Check your state's building code for their requirements.

CMA67 A thanked Charles Ross Homes
    The Cook's Kitchen

Hire a CAPS certified designer.

• CMA67 A

The cooks kitchen, is there a link by chance? @Charles, I think 34” but @ gardener let me ask your this; how much in wall space was required for you 30” door?

Charles Ross Homes

@CMA67A, the clear width of a door is measured from the face of the door to the stop on the other side of the jamb with the door open 90 degrees. This is different from the width of the door itself.

CMA67 A thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • Garderner2014

Our's required 30. See Johnson'shardware link: http://www.johnsonhardware.com/111pd-pocket-door-hardware

CMA67 A thanked Garderner2014
  • CMA67 A

Got it Charles thanks. @ Gardner, thx for the link. Did you go with the standard or ball bearing hatdwar?

• Garderner2014

Soft Close ball bearing.

The Cook's Kitchen

If you want a door to have the same panel reveal on both sides, it will need a wide stile on the pocket side, and be a larger size than the nominal opening. There will not be much “wall” left in the above diagram to receive the post required for the double width header needed for a pocket foor. Depending on the weight bearing situation of that wall, you may need reinforcement or additional foundation points below the post ends.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)