Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momfromars

Homemade grain free dog treats

cmm1964
5 years ago

I would like to make grain free dog treats for the numerous dogs in my neighborhood. I did find one recipe calling for coconut flour, peanut butter, and pumpkin. Sounds sort of yummy!

Has as anyone made something similar or have any great ideas to share? I would like to roll them out and use a bone cookie cutter.

Comments (20)

• lucillle
    5 years ago

Do dogs have peanut allergies?

cmm1964 thanked lucillle
  • cmm1964
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beagles I know you are in Florida part time as well. SW Fl resident here. It is nice being able to walk the dog year round without bundling up. Its a wonderful way to meet great dogs and the people they own!!

• Funkyart
    5 years ago

I no longer have dogs but used to make treats for them and my friends' dogs often-- one of my favorite things was to make cutout treats in a variety of shapes. It started out as bones but evolved into a variety of animal shapes .. i.e. "animal crackers"

Anyhow, the point of my post was that my dogs loooooved anything peanut butter or pumpkin. Love your plan!

cmm1964 thanked Funkyart
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

Do they need to be grain free? I used to make one that used wheat flour. I just sometimes have to laugh to myself when some of my dog owner friends are so picky about their dog food, it has to be grain free, but yet they give their dogs Milk Bone Dog Biscuits for their treats. There are lots and lots of recipes available using google search. I just think your selection may be limited if it has to be grain free. I am not so sure that coconut flour is really all that great for dogs. But, if you know that your friends do not feed any grains then of course a grain free biscuit would be the only choice.

cmm1964 thanked arkansas girl
  • cmm1964
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Probably doesn’t have to be grain free but it seems people are very picky about what they feed their dogs anymore. I will have to see if coconut flour is an acceptable for dogs.

• localeater
    5 years ago

Perhaps use chickpea flour. I buy dog treats that have this as an ingredient. Also, buckwheat, and buckwheat is not a grain.

Here is the ingredient list from The Barkery.

cmm1964 thanked localeater
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

Cmm I hope you post pictures when you are done. What a wonderful idea and what a kind neighbor you are!

cmm1964 thanked lucillle
  • User
    5 years ago

This is a gross aside but not sure how much coconut flour would do this but...my dog ate a loaf of coconut bread (low carb bread for me) off the counter. The next day, as he was pooping, puffs of airy coconut flour were coming out instead of his normal stuff. I am not sure It this happens with smaller amounts. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

cmm1964 thanked User
  • smhinnb
    5 years ago

My vet has recently started discouraging an entirely grain-free diet because of possible links to heart disease in some dogs. As I understand it, grain-free dog foods contain lentils, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, etc. - and they think a diet too high in these carbohydrates is not a great choice.

cmm1964 thanked smhinnb
  • kkay_md
    5 years ago

My daughter (who is a veterinarian) discourages grain-free diets for dogs.

cmm1964 thanked kkay_md
  • cmm1964
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow food for thought. I will go back to the drawing board and find a wider variety of dog treat recipes. I know my dog is not very picky so I think she would love anything I made for her.

• LynnNM
    5 years ago

Just an FYI: I do know for a fact that Jif peanut butter does not contain Xylitol. So, that brand, at least, is safe to add to dog treats.

cmm1964 thanked LynnNM
  • User
    5 years ago

Pumpkin is a good base for dog treats. I’ve seen this recipe online several times....the cookies look so cute

https://pinchofyum.com/homemade-dog-treats

cmm1964 thanked User
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

Oh lukki, that looks like a good one! I wouldn't put that drizzle on them but I think my dog could actually eat these without getting sick. It would be a way to get her to eat pumpkin too!

cmm1964 thanked arkansas girl
  • User
    5 years ago

I’m glad it helps, they do look pretty simple.

cmm1964 thanked User
  • lascatx
    5 years ago

This one is pretty close to one I have made and my dogs love. I do not use the salt, add 1 cup of oatmeal and adjust the flour. I just pat/roll out a rectangle and cut squares. We call them puppy crack cuz my lab is addicted.

https://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/recipes-for-pets/Peanut-Butter-Pumpkin-Dog-Cookies.aspx

cmm1964 thanked lascatx
  • cmm1964
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

I used lukkiirish‘s recipe from pinchofyum.com

I just pulled them out of the oven and have not glazed them with the peanut butter. Bella my Weimaraner is waiting patiently

• Fori
    5 years ago

Look good! Like gingerbread...mmm

(Cleo, I want to try that. Ever since my dog stopped eating crayons, poop has been boring.)

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

I used to make nuked hot dogs. Slice hotdogs about nickel-thick, and arrange around the edges of a paper plate and nuke. I can't recall how long in all, I'll look for the 'recipe'. Just trial and error, minute at a time.

(Try this: https://werefarfromnormal.com/hot-dog-doggy-treats)