0

wrapping an existing oven hood that is 48 and 7/8 inches wide

gigliokansas

We would like to wrap our existing viking oven range hood (it's 48 7/8 inches wide) since we are remodeling our kitchen. What design options are best?

• M V

Hi,

I think you'd better post some pictures and give us an overview of your kitchen plans. Without that it is hard for anyone to make recommendations. You could wrap with wood or stainless panels etc, but we need to see the space and the rest of the appliances and choices before ideas will be suitable for your needs/wants.

• gigliokansas

Venatino quartz is the niche. White brick is the backsplash. I think this will allow Macaubas Fantasy Island countertop to be the star. The hood seems to heavy to me. We are reusing a 48 inch viking hood because it was top of the line in it's day. Should we purchase an insert instead to get the width of the hood down to 50 inches? Also, should we use brass lantern pendant lights or polished Nickel? The plumbing fixtures are polished nickel. Thank you for all your help.

This is what was proposed.

The Cook's Kitchen

Buy the insert that you really need. I’ve been part of someone trying to reuse a older chimney hood. It was not a pretty project. It cost way more in labor than just doing it with the right parts from the beginning.

gigliokansas thanked The Cook's Kitchen
  • gigliokansas

Done. I agree. Thanks for your advice.

• leelee

I'm glad someone understood the question.

JAN MOYER

Buy the insert. New cabinet clad insert. Done.

• gigliokansas

To Leelee there were many other questions to my post, but I'm happy to have solved one problem. As to the others, I think I'm going to go with the niche as long as it's big enough with the right shape. The tile I choose pairs nicely with the Venatino Quartz and should leave the focus on the island quartzite. We have beautiful salt and pepper mills and an oil containers. It's easier to remove them from this niche before cooking and return them after dishes are done rather than leave them on the countertop. I'm leaning towards the brass lantern lights rather than the polished nickel, but either option is a good one. Thanks again for everyone's help.

I would do a much simpler idea but I also dislike hood wraps I think they look pretensious in most kitchens are a bugger to keep clean and serve no useful purpose but I also discourage the use of 48” ranges for my clients.

• leelee

No to changing the backsplash behind the range. Keep it all the same.

Do you have a pot filler now? I've heard many on this site say they never or very seldom even use them. Hey, but they look cool, right?

I wouldn't want that many glass inserts to clean esp. near the stove.

Go with the brass lanterns.

• gigliokansas

I have a pot filler now and I use it all the time. We cook often and for large groups. It comes in handy when you are doing a million things and you need to fill a pot to boil potatoes or something like that. The brass is nice.

Carolina Kitchen & Bath

Those pot drawers are too narrow. I'f you're changing up things, you may want to change that. You may get one or two pots in them, with smaller ones stacked inside, but if you have anything really big, it will take up most of one drawer. It will change the symmetry but you can put in two small, useful cabinets like these pull-outs.

Marietta Kitchen & Hall Bathroom · More Info

• gigliokansas

There is a butler's pantry attached to the kitchen for the big stuff. Also a 4.5x10.2 foot island, but you didn't know that of course. We asked for the spice drawers to be as designed. The spice drawers you offered are hard to read. Especially on the bottom. It's all a timing thing when you are cooking quickly and using many spices. Unfortunately we are not that organized to keep our spices in alphabetical order and it would be a nightmare to find what I'm looking for with this design. I appreciate your help.

• gigliokansas

It's a wine fridge with two refrigerator doors below. There is a refrigerator located elsewhere. Thank you for the advice and I'll make sure clearances are double checked.

Carolina Kitchen & Bath

Sorry about the picture, it didn't show enough of what I was trying to get across. My point was that by mirroring the asymmetrical left hand section on the right side, you still get symmetry. Anyway, If you've looked at what you need in those drawers and the space works, that's all that needs to happen. Good luck!

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)