0

Cookie outrage update and need help with a “business” name

deeinohio

I finally got my $40! After the woman promised she would get the money to me, she did not. I sent a follow-up FB message; she ignored it. I waited 10 days, then sent her a message informing her I was taking her to small claims court, which would then result in her taking off work, and paying my court costs of $70. She answered, stating her phone had been broken, and she would get the money to me after she got paid. My DIL saw her at a sports game, sent her a confrontational text, and voila...I got my cash.

So, now I can move on. I need help coming up with a name for my cookie making—it’s not really a business—I just want to look more professional. There’s some really creative people here, and I am not. I don’t want my name in it, but rather need something memorable. I came up with a couple involving pets, but that sounds like I am selling dog biscuits. Any ideas?

• beaglesdoitbetter

Cookies for a Cause

deeinohio thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • Bestyears

Cookie Dreams

deeinohio thanked Bestyears
  • deeinohio

Ooh, Beagles and Bestyears, I like both of those. Jesterrilynn, you are always so witty. I laughed out loud, three times.

• Mimou-GW

FourFoot Cookies, they mutts be good! (groan)

deeinohio thanked Mimou-GW
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24

Cookies 4 Critters

deeinohio thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • Lucille

If you are planning an ongoing exchange of cookies for money it IS a business. Your state and the IRS may have rules. The sale of foods is regulated and the liability is substantial in some instances.

This is not meant to discourage you, I think it is wise to go into new ventures prepared.

deeinohio thanked Lucille
  • arcy_gw

Good warning Lucille, given the mess this one transaction turned into--I think caution would be wise.

deeinohio thanked arcy_gw
  • Annie Deighnaugh

Cookie Spaniel

Grandmutter's Cookies

Shelter Cookies

Waif-er Cookies

Care Cookies

deeinohio thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • deeinohio

Wonderful ideas! Lucille, we have a cottage law for baked goods in Ohio. I’ve already talked to the Health department, which helped me write the label I put on every cookie. More gardenweb wit, Mimou! And, Annie, you are very creative.

• bpath Oh Sophie

I'm not creative enough to come up with such great names, but some of them sound to me like they are cookies for the dog, not for the humans, know what I mean? I'm not sure how to clarify that in a clever way.

• Yayagal

Clever cookies

• diane_nj 6b/7a

Maybe something to tie into your local area, or a local landmark?

deeinohio thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • Lucille

Dee's Dulces

deeinohio thanked Lucille
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH

'Dee's Decorated Cookies' would give them an idea upfront as to what they're getting--unless you also sell run-of-the-mill chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, etc.

deeinohio thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • justerrilynn

Maybe you could think of what you want your logo to look like and pick a name that fits the big picture. Do you want cutesy, sophisticated, all business, campy or ?

deeinohio thanked justerrilynn
  • yeonassky

Sweet star cookies

Deelightful cookies

I like Dee's decorated cookies. Which had me thinking about Deelightful cookies.

deeinohio thanked yeonassky
  • justerrilynn

I like a combo of the above.

Clever Cookies 4 Cause

It's easy to remember.

deeinohio thanked justerrilynn
  • LynnNM

Having read through all of the above list, I agree that, while funny and clever, many suggestions make it sound like these are cookies for dogs, and not humans. And, although I don't want to make myself sound like some hyper, cleanliness freak, human cookies with a reference to dogs in the name, and made by a person in their home can, to some people, immediately bring to mind a kitchen full of dogs and dog hair in the cookies. Of course, that's so not the case with you, Dee, but not everyone thinking about buying your cookies may know you personally.

It's only my opinion, but I think it's very important to keep the canine part of it out of your name. Your cookies are beautifully decorated, they're not cheap, they're ( I'm sure) delicious, AND with the profits going to a good cause. I would focus on that, and not dogs, for a name.

As such, I think that Beagle's "Cookies for a Cause" is perfect. It's catchy, simple, easy to remember, and the "for a cause" immediately catches your interest in a positive, warm, fuzzy way.

deeinohio thanked LynnNM
  • maddielee

I would pick a name that does not reference that you are donating the income, or fund raising at all.

In a year, your cookies may become so in demand that your business expands to the point that you need to hire help to supply cookies to all your customers. You need a name that will always identify your brand, no matter how big (or small) your business becomes.

deeinohio thanked maddielee
  • nannygoat18

"The Sweet Spot" says it all.

deeinohio thanked nannygoat18
  • deeinohio

Oh, maddielee, what a future you have planned for me! My goal is do do just enough business in a year to be able to donate a few thousand. Since I’m retired, I don’t really want a full-time gig, but there ‘s only so many cookies family can eat. I love that name, nanny,but is it a bit...suggestive?

• jojoco

I'm thinking you might want to appeal to those with deep pocketbooks that are swayed by fancier names. Maybe include the word "Artisan" in it? As in "Handmade artisan cookies by Dee" or a tag line could be "One-of-a-kind Artisan cookies. "

That being said, I do like "The Sweet Spot".

deeinohio thanked jojoco
  • Oakley

I'd keep it simple. "Cookies by Dee."

deeinohio thanked Oakley
  • deeinohio thanked Lucille
  • neetsiepie

Can't help you out with a catchy name, but I do want to express how flabbergasted I am that she tried to stiff you 40 bucks! To have to threaten small claims over $40 is insane. Especially when you consider all the work you put in to those gorgeous treats to begin with.

deeinohio thanked neetsiepie
  • nannygoat18

I must be missing something....never crossed my mind that "Sweet Spot" was prurient. I use it to describe "an optimum point or combination of factors or qualities."

deeinohio thanked nannygoat18
  • mdln

Le Kooke

The Cookie Cutter

Just Cookies

Cookies 4U

deeinohio thanked mdln
  • Bluebell66

I like Cookies by Dee. It’s to the point without trying too hard.

For me, “sweet spot” has always been the place on my tennis racket where I want the ball to hit. ;)

deeinohio thanked Bluebell66
  • deeinohio

I’ve been wearing ”The Sweet Spot” for a day, and I like how it feels. But, Milner, “The Cookie Cutter” is pretty great, too. Lucille, thanks for that link. I had thought of “The Sugared Cookie” earlier, but a google search showed a tattoo artist with that name. Neetsie, some may think me petty for pursuing that $40, but I put 3 days of work into that woman’s very specific order. Had she bought a used bike from me and stiffed me, I would have just moved on. But, she stole my time.

• Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)

Lol, one of my best friends just became the National sales rep for a natural beauty product line. One of the products are these feminine wipes.

As an aside, I have done a lot of research regarding naming a business, creating logos and tag lines. Don’t use your location in the name, it can limit your customers, and is problematic if you ever move (you do use locale in the name if the locale is part of the product, like spring water for example). Make the “Cookies for a Cause” your tagline, it’s perfect. Plus the repeat of the “C” sound is catchy. As your cookies are decorated, maybe an artistic description.

The Artful Cookie or

The Artful Baker

Colorfun Cookies

The Creative Cookie

Cookie Creations

deeinohio thanked Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)
  • deeinohio

Some great ideas, Annette! i especially like Colorfun cookies. Thank you.

• justerrilynn

How about ...

Coolidge• Cookies

Cassius Marcellus Coolidge was a famous painter of dogs doing everyday people things. Coolidge sounds cool and artsy .https://www.dogsplayingpoker.org/gallery/coolidge/

And, it brings with it some fun possibilities for your logo.

• Sheeisback

These are all really good.

I really like Colorfun Cookies too.

• LynnNM

ROFL! I think I’ve been paying too much attention to tv ads lately because “Colofun” immediately brought to mind something to take to clean/flush out your colon . . . and have fun doing it? (LOL) Hmmmm, back away from the tv, Lynn!

deeinohio thanked LynnNM
  • westsider40

Cookie love or cookie cookie.

• nannygoat18

Dee, "some may think me petty for pursuing that $40."

It's not the money, it's the principle and I think you were entirely justified.

I had never heard of the "sweet spot" until a stranger observing my then one-year daughter said, "Enjoy this age, it's the sweet spot until she turns two!" Very prophetic too!

deeinohio thanked nannygoat18
  • Allison0704

Sweet Spot also refers to any part of the body that "responds pleasurably to a caress or touch." Might want to rethink that one!

The Artful Baker is nice, but add to it - The Artful Cookie Baker. Good luck with your venture.

deeinohio thanked Allison0704
  • deeinohio

I knew you all were creative. But, I am fickle. Now I’m loving Cookie Cookie.

• yeonassky

Smart Cookie. Although I do like cookie cookie a lot

deeinohio thanked yeonassky
  • schoolhouse_gw

I hope she doesn't cause bad PR for you and your cookies for a cause.

deeinohio thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • bpath Oh Sophie

Ooh, Cookie Cookie! Liking that!

deeinohio thanked bpath Oh Sophie
  • terezosa / terriks

How about Dee's Delights? A name without Cookie in it would allow you to branch out into other baked goods.

deeinohio thanked terezosa / terriks
  • deeinohio

Thank you everyone for wonderful ideas. I am leaning toward Cookie Cookie because it feels like “me“. A close second is Colorfun, which is close to my original thought, The Tinted Cookie, which was given thumbs down by DD, who said it sounded like the dough was tinted. Terriks, it is unlikely I’ll branch out; I’m not usually that interested in baking. I knew you all would not let me down!

• jellytoast

Is it supposed to sound like Kooky Cookie ... ?

deeinohio thanked jellytoast
  • terezosa / terriks

I like Cookie Cookie too. Have you thought about Cookie! Cookie!?

deeinohio thanked terezosa / terriks
  • mdln

cOOkie, cOOkie.

deeinohio thanked mdln
  • bpath Oh Sophie

When I read "Tinted Cookie", I worried that a bad batch would become "Tainted Cookie".

wow, now I'm craving a cookie.

deeinohio thanked bpath Oh Sophie
  • lukkiirish

I think everything about your cookies as well as your motivations for making them shows a lot of heart so I like these names. I wanted to use a prettier font and heart, but I couldn’t do it on my ipad. (Giving heart or All heart Cookies)

Giving ❤️ Cookies

ALL ❤️ Cookies

deeinohio thanked lukkiirish
  • deeinohio

Thank you, luckKi. I like Giving Cookies.

• petalique

Sweet Bites Artisan Cookies

(for humans who support pet shelter -- or whatever it is)

Stylized dogs and cats (on logo or tag)

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)