0

Should I be concerned about the stem of this sugar maple?

You may have been reading my thread on trying to get the city's approval to remove a sugar maple tree. Well I have another large, mature sugar maple. I have noticed some decay on one of the stems. Should I be concerned about this? Should the stem be removed?

A very comfy hangout for raccoons:

Closer:

Here the raccoon is enjoying a snooze in this tree:

I wasn't that comfortable walking under the tree! It seemed like the raccoon was going to pounce on me!

• hairmetal4ever

It’s hard to tell in this pic, but worst case you may want to remove that limb.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked hairmetal4ever
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

if I were you I would make notes about everything that you want to ask about those trees..notes would be helpful to make sure as they're speaking that every concern is discussed..that limb would concern me too..it's just not quite healthy is it?..the raccoon pic is cute!..it could be another reason for removal..the tree serves as a ladder for animals to climb on the house and cause damage..maybe even enter the house..

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I'll see if I can get a better photo, hairmetal. That one was taken from inside my bedroom window (2nd floor). The limb is really connected with two other limbs. The first picture shows the limb in question along with one limb coming towards you and the other limb going in the opposite direction. That's why the raccoons like the spot---the three limbs make a large, flat area to sleep in.

Nicholsworth, I will definitely ask an arborist about this. Even though the two sugar maples on my property affect my gardening big time, it would be shocking to have both of them removed as my house and garden would go from dappled shade to full sun! And the actual cost would be unbelievably expensive! This particular tree shades our house and garden from some of the strong midday sun. I would consider having the limb removed if that was in the best interest of the tree. Unfortunately I don't think the city cares whether animals climb the tree or could enter the house. Their goal is merely to preserve trees at all costs---even if it means hardship to the homeowner!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

newhostalady..you know that I love trees..I'm sure that you do too..even if removal was free I would keep almost all of my trees..I was just trying to "build your case" with reasons for removal lol..it is true that animals will use trees to climb on a house but the city ignores that huh?..

• Huggorm

I don't see any decay on that branch but it does look a little awkward being so large compared to the trunk.

I wish I had raccoons in my trees also but we don't in Europe, yet. They seem to have a potential for invasiveness though so it might just be a matter of time.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Huggorm
  • bengz6westmd

Unless there's a hole or rot on the top of the branch that's difficult to see from your pic-angles, it doesn't "need" removing as it is strongly buttressed/reinforced and in little danger of breaking.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked bengz6westmd
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Nicholsworth, love hearing your thoughts. I know though that the city is very focused on preserving the trees. They are going to make sure any tree that is removed will have been because of a very good reason.

Huggorm, glad you don't see any decay. I have tried to take a better, closer photo. An arborist cannot see this from ground. This photo is the best I can get from my bedroom window. Otherwise, someone would have to climb the tree to have a better look.

The raccoons do have their cute factor. We regularly had a momma and her four babies come to visit our backyard during the night. They would come to see if there were any leftover sunflower seeds from the bird feeder and use the bird bath. But one day I came home with my daughter and went into my kitchen only to see a raccoon running out of my house! The raccoon had opened the sliding door screen door to get to my kitchen waste bin. It had knocked it over and was helping itself to it. After that incident, the racoon came back each evening around the same time to see if it could get back into the house.

Thanks beng. Good to hear.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

newhostalady..at our closing the sellers were telling us stories about our house..guess what?..a raccoon came in thru a sliding glass door in the kitchen!..got into the cabinets..made a mess with baking products..flour everywhere..I think that's a good quality pic to show the arborist..

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)

@newhostalady, I think you live in the Toronto area where raccoons are very numerous and they really don't discriminate between houses with trees or without. If this is what you're thinking, I'd doubt the city grants a permit to cut down the tree because you saw a raccoon in the tree and also had a raccoon come into the house.

As for that branch which goes away from the house, even if an arborist said it was compromised, the solution is to remove the branch (not the tree). You won't need a permit to cut off a branch and you wouldn't get one to remove the tree b/c of one branch.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Smivies..I suggested the idea of animals using the tree to get onto or into the house..I thought it could be a possible concern (in addition to others) to tell the city..I feel bad that newhostalady can't do what she wants and was trying to help..

• bengz6westmd

Looking at the last closeup, there may be rot there on the top-side of the branch. But just can't say for sure from the pics.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

some of my larger fallen limbs had a similar look with missing bark..but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether it's rotting and dangerous..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Smivies, I am not looking for excuses to have this tree removed. It's the other tree (that is close to my house and in the middle of my deck - other thread--Help me get city's approval ) that I am seeking to have removed. I am only concerned about this particular branch----as to whether it should be removed or not in order to keep the tree healthy.

Amazing that you had a similar experience Nicholsworth! What a mess!

Thanks Beng for having another look. (The roof top is somewhat higher and may give another camera angle to view, but my husband is not camera savvy.)

When, and if, I am able to get the city's approval to remove the OTHER sugar maple, it will be a day with mixed feelings. I will remove the tree, but I will definitely have some sadness for the end of the tree's life and the end of my 35 year relationship with the tree.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

newhostalady..you've lived with this tree for so long..hoping to remove it is obviously not a rash decision..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Had an arborist come today. Showed him a closeup photo of the limb. He said he thought the photo displayed some decay, but the limb itself still looks healthy. Nothing to worry about right now.