Your shopping cart is empty.

Mirage prefinished hardwood floor installation temperature

Thomas Tzeng
December 4, 2018

I am going to install Mirage prefinished hardwood floor. I notice in the installation guide states:

Prior to installation, heating system must be in operation, and room temperature must have been maintained at ± 72 °F (± 22 °C) for at least one week.

I am remodeling a house without AC. The hardwoods have been put in garage for almost a month and the temperature varies from 40F to 80F. I wonder if the installation process operates at temperature around 60F a problem?!

Comments (3)

• SJ McCarthy

The problem with a garage (other than the temperature) is the MOISTURE. To maintain the warranty, you will need to move the flooring into the home ONCE the furnace has been turned on for that week.

You will then take moisture readings (on the wood and possibly the subfloor as well) before you do your installation.

Everything hangs on the installation. I mean EVERYTHING. If the installation TEMPERATURE is not up to snuff, you lose your warranty. If your HUMIDITY is not under control, you lose your warranty. If your wood is too damp at time of install, you lose your warranty.

This is why it is DEATHLY important to follow installation instructions. These swings in temperature and humidity help to warp wood in some magnificent ways. Even if the planks are stacked and racked properly in the garage, they will still warp/move simply because of temp/humidity swings from night to day.

And if you try to install that puffy/warped wood in a home that is NOT DRY (but in the process of drying out = heated space) then you run a massive risk of having a wonky floor that no manufacturer in their right mind will look at.

The choice is yours. I advise you to get the furnace up and running for a week, then bring the wood inside to get it into range. To know when it is range, you need to do moisture testing during the acclimation process (and document it). In essence you are about to do all the "right things" a high-end flooring professional would do if you paid him/her to install your floor.

At this point, the wood in the garage has LOST all of its "conditioning" from the manufacturer/warehouse. It has now accepted all the moisture in the air around it. It will need to be properly tested (5%- 10% of boards randomly selected for testing) to document your "start" point.

You will do the same for the subfloor in the house. You will turn on the furnace for 1 week and test the subfloor again. You will move the wood into the home and continue to monitor the planks. When they appear to be within manufacturer's specifications (and the subfloor as well) you can then begin the installation.

Whew! Lots has to happen before you begin this installation.

• Thomas Tzeng

Really thank you for the instructions.

Will pin type or pin-less moisture meters (cheaper than $50) on Amazon good enough?

• SJ McCarthy

You get what you pay for. Cheap isn't always the best way to go. You will need to purchase the moisture meter than can test both your ENGINEERED hardwood (there should be a setting for this) AND your subfloor (which you have not mentioned).

The more features the product has, the better your results. Again, you are going to mimic the products used by high-end professionals. The "pin" moisture meters are more accurate and often have MANY more features (many have settings for plywood as well as engineered hardwood AND many different species of wood).

The manufacturer's installation manual will tell you the range of moisture the wood AND the subfloor MUST REACH before installation is allowed.

A nice meter is around $150. Remember: In the building industry cheap turns out to be more expensive.

Thomas Tzeng thanked SJ McCarthy

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).