0

Screen for 511 - what size wood for frame?

Treegeek Z6a (Boston)
Picked up some 1/2" and 1/4" screen today. Rolls are 2'x5'.... What size wood should I make the frame out of?

What length has everyone found to be the best for screening pine bark fines?

• old_dirt

I make mine out of 2" x 4"s, just the size to fit over a wheelbarrow. A couple pieces of 1" by underneath to hold it in place.

tapla

Make them from 1x4s - half the weight of 2x4s, and less expensive. You'll need 1/8" hardware cloth and some aluminum insect screening too, if you want a full set for making soils.

I have 2 sets of 5 screens. One set is 24 x 24" and the other is 12 or 14" square. The sizes are 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/8, and whatever size aluminum wire insect screen is - probably about a 3/32" opening. If, whoever makes the frames has the wherewithal to use something other than a butt joint, it will make the frames stronger and more durable. Mine use a rabbeted joint and are glued and screwed instead of nailed. I'm not sure how old they are, but I made them sometime around 1990, and I've used the heck out of them. All I've had to replace is the aluminum insect screen from time to time as it wears out with lots of use.

Al

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)
    Thank you!

Now.... What is each size used for in the 511 recipe? :)
    tapla

I've always had access to bark that doesn't need screening for the 5:1:1 mix.

The bark you see at 3, 6, and 9 0'clock are from 3 different sources and are perfect as is for the 5:1:1, which is shown, dry, in the middle. The bark at 12 o'clock is what I buy for the gritty mix and comes prescreened in 1/8-1/4", so that should give you some reference as fas as particle size is concerned. Generally, I like the particle size for my 5:1:1 to be dust to 3/8", so I would use anything that passes through a 1/2" screen, and toss the larger chunks on top of the soil in the gardens or beds. The volume of fines in the mix is what determines how much peat I use. The more fines in the bark - the less peat I use, the fewer fines, the more peat.

Al

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)
    Al, thank you for this! I grabbed some nice cedar 1x4 today. Once I make my screens and get some material through, I'll post a few photos here for you to see.
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)

I went with the butt joint Al. Someday I will make a better one. Survived around 10 yrs and so I do not yet have an excuse to make a new one. Yes, the insect screen distorts, sags and ends up with tears and holes. I have four screens minus the 3/8 since I could never find that size screen at a reasonable price. All I can find is ultra -expensive SS screens of small sizes.

tapla

Owning a glazing contracting business has some advantages, in that I have access to a lot of stuff that's common to the trade, but not necessarily readily available to the general public. Many years ago we contracted to fabricate new and replace old screens in a housing project. I forget the opening size in the screen, but do remember it was a smidge smaller than insect screen and had to be capable of stopping a 40 grain RNL bullet from a 22 LR shot at a given speed from a given distance. We had lots of leftover screen we sold for scrap I wish I'd have been prescient enough to save. We have a catalogue about an inch thick from a company that sells nothing but screen and a variety of mesh products, which is where I get the 3/8.

Al

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

Here are my results

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

This is before

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

After screening. Two shots of the screened product, one of the oversized pieces.

• Skip1909

I made mine out of 2x4 and it is the worst. Planning to redo them with 1x4 eventually.