0
Find the right pro for your project

Do people still use those marble vase fillers?

Kel
I work for a staging company, and some of my coworkers love to use those colored glass marbles in their tablescapes... on plates, in glasses, scattered on the table, etc. I feel like this is so dated! Am I just too Modern?! Is this still a thing?
  • lindsey (still misses Sophie)

They are cheesy. Even my 10 year old is over them.

Sorry.

• D M

It is more in how it is used than in what is used.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

They look super cheesy to me too. I am not sure most people would notice or care. Folks who haunt these forums tend to care more about little things like this.

• Jamie Ludwig

I use them when I arrange fresh flowers, just 2"-3" in the bottom of a vase so the flowers stay in place. I have also used them in the bottom of a glass jar or vase to stablize a pillar candle. Other than that I really don't like the messy busy look of speading them out loose on a table or counter.

• Manon Floreat

I like them as Jamie uses them - for personal use. For staging it seems like one would want to minimize the appearance of clutter, so scattering them about on random surfaces seems a little odd to me.

• greenfish1234

Yes in a vase of flowers. I have a Waterford candy box filled with clear ones. I have anothe Waterford vase filled with collected sea glass, Certainly not strewn about. I find most staging I see in RE listings very cheesy.

I agree most staging has no place in reality , I would rather help a client declutter and clean than spend money on staging. As for the glass pebbles in a vase maybe and clear .

• pennydesign

I see them in wedding reception photos....

I see "staging" as the real-life version of a magazine spread. When we looked at houses, there would be artfully arranged trays on a perfectly made bed complete with teapot, teacup and perfectly draped throw....

I don't know if I think differently than others, but not only does stuff like this not "sell" me a house, or impress me, or make me want that house to be mine, but it kind of annoys me because it's like we're being viewed by others as needing to see things a certain way...like we're stupid or something? Idk...

Anyway---I don't have time or inclination to clean stuff like that. And I don't think it looks pretty.

(Like greenfish, I have some sea glass collected over the years in a dish...it's good memories)...

• apple_pie_order

The scattered look is long over in my area.

• lindsey (still misses Sophie)

As an amendment to my previous comment, I meant that they are cheesy when they are used irrelevantly to stage a home.

Used as a vase filler for fresh flowers or a stand-in for candy in a candy dish that is itself art, they make perfect sense.

In my mind, sea glass has almost no relation to this product!

• Sheeisback

They were a big thing in weddings around here back in the earlier 2000s. That's what I relate them to and can't get into them. I just think there are so many more interesting things one could use instead. I agree that sea glass has no relation. :)

Meyer Design

I would not use them!

• pennydesign

Other than them both being decorative chunks of glass? IDK...I would say that chunks of glass as "faux candy" is less relevant and not something I've ever seen before...

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)