0

Help finding a kitchen sink for 30x22 cabinet

zmat

We are giving a facelift to our 1940s kitchen and let me tell you, retrofitting is a nightmare! Cabinets are staying. The sink base cabinet is 30 inches long and 22 inches wide on the inside. We are replacing an over mount sink and Formica with a marble countertop and undermount sink. Or should I say, we want to do so. I can't find a decent size sink that will also allow room for a faucet. The sink is in the middle of two windows. Off center faucet would be weird right in front of the window and would be in the way when opening the window.
Are there single bowl SS sinks that are 13.5 inch wide and 20-24 inches long that I haven't come across yet?
About 3 inches for undermount lip front and back, plus 5 inches for a faucet = I'm left with 16 inches on the inside.

• Laura Mac

Post pics and you may get better feedback....

Have you gone to a local plumbing/kitchen supply place (Ferguson's, etc.), to see if they can look up a special order size)?

• zmat thanked Lawrence Sprowls
  • jhmarie

My faucet is set so the handle is towards the front - most can be moved that direction.

My sink is a "short apron" Whitehaven 36" but it comes in 30". You might not want to spend that much, but it is a great sink. The "short apron" style can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet - but check your measurements due to the age of the cabinets.

https://www.houzz.com/photo/58831076-my-pics-work-in-progress

https://www.houzz.com/photo/110720042-my-pics-work-in-progress

https://www.build.com/kohler-k-6486-kitchen-sink/s563729?uid=1788549

zmat thanked jhmarie
  • zmat

Thank you both so much for searching those sinks! Unfortunately, they are all too large. Apron sink also not an option. We are keeping the vent grill that's in front of the sink cabinet. I came across the Whitehaus one. It has great dimensions but it's offset, requiring the faucet to go to the left and we are right-handed.

Need at least 5 inches to the backsplash because there is the window sill taking up 1 inch and we will put a backsplash there of the same thickness to make it flush under the window.

• Fori

Glad you're keeping the cool features. :) I had a similar setup at a previous 1930s home. Much harder to replace the sink than anticipated! We were able to special order one from Elkay, but that was 20 years ago AND the kitchen was blessed with a wall mount faucet. (Psst: can you replumb for a wall mounted faucet?)

If all else fails, ask local stainless steel fabricators. Some make sinks.

• dan1888

Put a Kohler Karbon in the center with the separate handle to the right if necessary. 8" distance max.

zmat thanked dan1888
  • zmat

Aww, Fori, that's what makes it all so complicated - we're not making ANY changes whatsoever! Wall-mount would be great except there's a chance of pipes freezing. There really isn't any wiggle room. :(

I'll be checking the stainless steel fabricators. I'm just afraid it will cost an arm and leg.

Sigh.

• Fori

What about something like the Kohler "Riverby"? It's cast iron instead of SS, but has the integrated faucet deck which is retro and functionally incredibly awesome (especially for marble cuz you don't want your dish soap bottle sitting on it if your family are slobs).

• zmat thanked mimimomy
  • zmat

We decided to get a Brizo articulating faucet. It will be tight but at least the hose is flexible.

I like the Riverby sink but there's no room left for mounting. It's 22 inches front to back. Are we're talking about the undermount one, Fori?

• Fori

It can go over or under I think.

• zmat

mimimomy

Those are great finds! The one that could work is the one with 18x13 basin. I'm only worried it would be small for someone who cooks a lot and doesn't have a dishwasher? I have big pans and pots including cast iron. And I can veggies sometimes. You know those giant canning pots? The current sink is 14 inches wide and it's a struggle sometimes. It seems like I can't have an undermount sink of the same width as the current drop-in.

• zmat

Fori, the drop-in could probably fit, except I really want to have an undermount sink for once. Never had one before.

• Debbi SL

Make sure you check the specs on the Brizo articulating faucet. It requires more deck space front-to-back than typical. We have one, and love it, but we ended up going with an asymetrical sink (Franke Orca - 18" on left side, 15" on right ) and added an extra 1/2 inch overhang in front in order to allow appropriate clearance for the sink in the front and faucet in the back (overall counter depth in our case ended up being 25.75")

zmat thanked Debbi SL
  • mimimomy

Understand about canning pots, they are very large, no question. I find one single bowl better than a double...

Are you sure you really want an undermount? I have never had one either and don't want one...:) Something about them really just doesn't make me happy.

I used an overmount granite sink and was going to suggest if you didn't find the stainless to undermount, you might be able to use a dual mount granite sink from Franke (under/overmount) because the location for the faucet is already set. I have one of those in my current house (overmount) as it dropped into the existing double bowl cutout in the existing countertop.

I am not a purist, so i put in an 18" dishwasher :) in this little project below. Not done with this little project, but I do love the granite sink -- this one is too small for your needs, but worked great for us in this situation.

zmat thanked mimimomy
  • apple_pie_order

What are the considerations that go into keeping the sink cabinets? It sounds like you do some serious cooking with big pots and pans.

• zmat

Debbi, I love that setup! May I ask how many inches you have between the backsplash and the back edge of the sink?

Does it bother you that the faucet is offset relative to the window center?

• zmat

I like the length of this Whitehaus sink but it's narrower than what I have right now and for whatever reason, they don't make one with the offset on the right.

I'm also not sure what's more important: the width or the length of the sink?

I'm the crazy person who bakes my own bread every week and makes everything from scratch. Also have a veggie garden. Constantly doing dishes. We will get an 18-inch dishwasher eventually that will be next to the stove on the opposite side of the kitchen. There is no room to expand. Door to the basement on the right, door to the mudroom on the left. Cabinets are staying the way they are. Husband is obsessed with keeping everything original and doing zero modifications. Mind you, he's not the one cooking or doing dishes!

• zmat

mimimomy, what a lovely kitchen! I don't know if I'm overthinking this but I'm sure I would survive with a 13 inch wide sink. I just want it to be longer than 18 inches left to right since there's room for it. I'll go research drop-in sinks now. I haven't even looked into them but I'm running out of options for an undermount sink anyway.

Thank you!

• Fori

The sink I mentioned can be installed as either an undermount or drop in.

If you end up having to get a drop-in, though, try to find one with a big ol drainboard built into it. That will look good in there and be very practical.

AND, if you can't put your faucet in the MIDDLE, it will still be fine.

zmat thanked Fori
  • zmat

OK, I thought about it better. I have a dish rack right next to the sink with the tray draining water into the sink. The Kohler sink, if dropped in, would sit way too high above the counter for setting up the dish rack next to it, so the drainboard would be a must.

• mimimomy

zmat, something to consider. Prior to getting the 18" dishwasher, we had a drying mat. It's this memory foam covered by something soft... it's kind of like a bath mat, but for dishes. I still use it for larger pots, etc. Love it because I can hang it up on a hook under the sink to dry, and it's not bulky.

p.s. just want to say, so not impressed with our 18" bosch dishwasher :( If I had to do it again, I'd instead fit in a single drawer Fisher Paykel dishdrawer probably on the left of the sink where the microwave is.... may happen yet. I know everyone loves bosch, this one is o.k. but not a 1000 dollars ok. It hasn't broken (thank goodness) but it is just not well set up at all, in my opinion. In the house we live in I have the double drawer FP dishdrawer and I really feel I can put more in one drawer than in the 18" bosch.. possible I just love FP too much :)

zmat thanked mimimomy
  • zmat

mimomy, oh my goodness, that's the dishwasher we were going to get! Thank you so much for sharing this information! I've never heard of dishdrawers before. Hmmm... Only 24.5 inches between the wall and the stove. Geez, something else to research for months to come!

• mimimomy

Fisher Paykel Dish Drawers (single and double) All you need is 24" for the dishdrawer. Love them so much. Have had them in 2 houses. You'll see mixed reviews but I love mine. First one I bought was in around 2008 or so. Current one is only a year old. They are even better now than they were 8 years ago. And one nice thing, a 2 year warranty (and 3 at times with special promotions).

zmat thanked mimimomy
  • zmat

Thank you! I will definitely look into those. I love the idea of two separate drawers. Genius.

• mimimomy

When you do sink searches, look for "inset" sinks as well if you're even thinking of going to top mount. These are very nearly flush with the counter surface.

zmat thanked mimimomy
  • Lawrence Sprowls

The faucet is mounted to the left in the Whitehaus sink because most people are right handed. They will hold things in their right hand and approach the sink from the right. The left-side mounting reduces the chance that the faucet is in the way and makes it easier to operate the faucet when holding something with their right hand.

zmat thanked Lawrence Sprowls
  • zmat

Hmm, that's the only sink I've seen that has a left-side offset. Most single-handle faucets have the handle/lever on the right. I can't imagine using my left hand to turn the lever on the right. But you know what? That's the best fitting sink out of all I've seen and we may end up going with it. Even though it's less than 13 inches wide. :(

• Debbi SL
    Zmat- I know I have a drawing somewhere with the measurements. i'll check for that in the morning or just measure and report back. Of the top of my head , I think its about 6.5 on one side and 3.5 on the other.

The sink and sink base are off center from the window in ours,. So, I actually like the fact that the faucet isn't centered on the sink. I thought that not centering on the window would bother me, but it really doesn't now that everything is in place.
    zmat thanked Debbi SL
  • mimimomy

zmat, I don't see why you can't mount a sink sideways... some sinks have offset drains anyways. I was looking for a sink that could be used in the opposite direction and it looks like you have found one. ":)

• Debbi SL

6.5" and 5.5" from wall is about right. Here's the drawing with other the rest of the measurements as well :

zmat thanked Debbi SL
  • zmat

Thank you so much for the drawing, Debbi! That's super helpful. That means we have to go with the smallest sink possible to accommodate the Brizo faucet. Do you find that you could have gone with less clearance? Does the hose get really close to the window?

• mimimomy

Would something like this work? Can be drilled with 1 hole for faucet...

I know your cabinet is only 30" but I think some clever people saw off a tiny bit off the top of the cabinet sides (hidden under counter) to allow the sink in to sit flush.... essentially providing the sink support... and I know this is not as narrow front to back, but it does allow for the faucet...

Whitehaus offset-they will drill with a single hole

• Debbi SL

Zmat - I think there is room to spare. If you trim by an inch or so, at worst , with the faucet pushed all the way up, the tube might bump the window,.

I'm not sure about the hardware underneath, though, since I didn't install myself. I snapped a picture to see what it looks like under there , and looks like the base on ours is rotated a bit anyway, so hopefully not an issue. It wouldn't hurt to reach to Brizo to see what they say.

attaching a couple of pics so you can see the clearance.

zmat thanked Debbi SL
  • zmat

Thank you, Debbi! I've contacted the countertop fabricator with specs and now waiting to see what they say. Might be worth going back to the local Ferguson to look at the faucet in person.

I appreciate your help!

• Debbi SL
    Good luck zmat! Let us know how it turns out!

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)