0

Is rusting in Calacatta Borghini normal?

Leena braich
I have a Calacatta Borghini on hold and all 3 slabs that they had have streaks of rust. When I goggle this marble most of the pics have the rust streaks. I’m curious if this a defect or something to be embraced and worked into the design.

I am using Delta champagne bronze faucets in my bathroom so I feel the rust will complement the faucets. Just want some reassurance that I am not purchasing a defective product.
    Beth H. :

There is iron deposits in marble. so if it's outside and got wet, it would seem likely to rust. You can put lemon juice on the stained area, add baking soda, and scrub w/a toothbrush to remove them. Or you may need to make a poultice and let it sit for a day or so (or they will,,not you) obviously the slab is going to etch, so this would need to be done before the fabricator cuts it so the stone can be polished again. I'm sure the stone guys will know how to take care of this issue. and it's on them, not you.

• Leena braich
    Thanks for your input Beth. The is a honed slab so I am not sure they will polish it. I have seen pics where it’s been highlighted in the final stage. I am wondering if the rust is embraced. The guy seeing me the slab is not worried about it.
    Beth H. :

well, there's rust and there is the actual gold veining. they're two different deposits. up to you if you want to keep it or not. and yes they would still polish it to remove the etching, they just don't polish it to a high sheen.

• Leena braich
    Perhaps it’s gold veining since it’s on all 3 slabs. Thanks for your advice Beth.
    I am doing a marble master bath with marble in the shower and bathroom floor (200 sq ft) and a wainscoting wall behind the freestanding tub. Feeling a little overwhelmed to make it all cohesive. The floor tiles are greens and beige. That is why I was leaning Calacatta Borghini. Plus it’s a small slab and in my budget. I pulled out the polished wall tiles today and they seem mostly blues and greys. I may need to rethink my counter now.
    JAN MOYER

I think you need to post the OTHER tiles, floor and wall . I think you already are in a mis match. Without a top. Post more photos.

• blondelle
    Beth H, how can you recommend putting lemon juice anywhere near marble?
  • Leena braich
    First pic is flood and second pic is wall tiles.
  • Leena braich
    All floor tiles.
  • Leena braich
    Update- Bedrosians will let me exchange my polished wall tiles for the honed ones that were more earth tones. At least my floors and walls will be cohesive. There are a lot of plain tiles in that batch so I can use the plain ones on the wainscoting wall. The shower is in a separate room so the room won’t look as busy. I will have mushroom color cabinets to ground the space as well. Once the cabinets and tiles are in place I can decide on the counter top.
    Beth H. :

blondelle...the slabs are still at the yard,,,she asked about rust. one of the remedies is lemon juice. Or there are stain removers. maybe her slab people know of a diff one. Regardless,,,they would polish the slab again. did you not read what I wrote? it's not like the slabs were fabricated and installed and I told her to douse them in lemon juice.

JAN MOYER

Is it me? : ) Or the XMAS parties already started???

Beth H. :

oh how pretty! JMandJ! lol.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)