0

Suggestions on Wall Color with Cherry Wood Floors and Cabinets

Melissa

Hello!
My boyfriend and I bought our first house and are trying to decide on a paint color. I've posted 2 photos of how the prior owner painted the walls and decorated. I would like the walls a gray color to go with our furniture. The 3rd photo is our furniture and decorations. Any suggestions of what color to paint the walls to go with all the cherry wood? Thanks!

• cat_ky

I like the color of the walls right now and looking at your furniture, I think it would go very well with the color it is. You could also use gray, or lighter sage green, etc. No paints with yellow in them. Congratulations on your new home. You might think about adding a bit of color when you get your own furniture in there, in the way of pillows and accessories.

• herbflavor

your furniture is more small scale. In reality, knowing how these things go, you will probably want to pick out specific pieces for your seating in this living space. the walls, if in good condition can be left as is and see what happens with your editing and selections over the next year or two. I'd leave everything, just move in! It looks like a great home on a charming street.

IMO you have enough gray if you look at the previous owners furniture that green color looks awesome with those floors so I would do a very soft gray/ green it will look good with the floors and not be a big gray box. I would suggest some more grown up art on the walls and save those for a diffent space and make sure when you hang the new art it is hung so the center of the work is at eye level which is usually about 65”

• Melissa
    Thank you everyone for your comments so far. I like the color but my boyfriend doesn't so maybe I can convince him to keep it. The paint job is good and doesn't need updating. BUT what would be good colors if we wanted to paint it?
  • herbflavor

my hunch is the cool blue-gray [almost light indigo] was selected due to a lot of light [many windows] and the vividness of the wood cabinetry along with that. I would not pick warm undertones. If I had to make a change I'd select off white with cool or neutral undertones. Keep it simple..you're going to love this place and will soon personalize it in your own way , not paint on the walls being any sort of statement.

• Melissa
    Okay thanks! You're totally right. Lots of windows and natural light. How about a cool gray with blue hints? Haha
  • mark_rachel

No.more.gray.

At least go with a greige to warm things up a bit. Look at Pewter Revere or Edgecomb Gray.

• Melissa
    I was looking into both of those colors!
  • indygo

Look at some gray greens like Nantucket Gray or November Rain.

• indygo

Edgecomb Gray would be good too!