0
Find the right pro for your project

NBC reports "No wasps, no figs. (And, no wasps, no Fig Newtons.)"

Gred

Dr. Alex Wild Why we miss the wasps. The author states the above in the middle of the fourth paragraph. Is he right?

I would not be overly alarmed. Commercially raised figs are parthenocarpic females and do not require pollination to produce fruit. So a lack of Fig Newtons in our future is unlikely :-)

However I do agree with the underlying premise of the article. Pollinators of all types are under pressure and we need to do our best to encourage their populations.

• nmfruit

Well said gardengal48. The plight of pollinators is a huge concern in many places around the world, and this goes way beyond everybody's favorite: the honey bee!

• melikeeatplants

There are commercial figs that need wasp like smyrna for example

• Gred

I understand the alarm over the decline in pollinators, but I think it is misleading to imply that commercial fig crops, i.e. fig newtons, will suffer without them. The whole ecosystem will suffer including many food crops, but not fig specifically.

• dieseler

Bought current house 30 years ago and started growing a veggie garden .

Had all sort of things growing including different melons ,squash etc.

The small bee's that pollinate the flowers have been much much less to visit over the years they still come but their numbers really have dwindled , this i noticed easily .

Without these pollinators well..................

Martin

• hoosierbanana

Squash are pollinated by native solitary bee species, they are specialized to squashes. If you can avoid deep tillage in the garden and areas near where squash and other curcurbits were grown that should help the local population.

• dieseler

Thanks Hoosierbanana, i did not know that about the squash. The types or types of bee's in veg garden i cannot recall ever getting ornery never seemed to bother me .

The ones on other side of yard where fig plants are those particular type for lack of proper word yellow jackets are not nice so they get not nice back.

Martin