Your shopping cart is empty.

mortise lock with modern design handles?

Juliya Sav
December 6, 2018

Any Advice on where to get a mortise lock set with a modern design handles that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Comment (1)

  • queenvictorian

    You don't need to replace the whole mortise - you can get away with simply replacing the knobs with handles of your liking (of you can buy a pair of JUST modern design handles, not the whole set). I have an old house with all mortises and I've been swapping out some ill-fitting replacement knobs with salvaged knobs that actually fit on the shaft, but I've not been looking at modern knobs.

    You might want to check out a store nearby that sells door hardware so you can inspect/measure the handles in person. First, find a screwdriver and remove one of the knobs from it (or hold the knob on the other end and unscrew if you see threading) - the knobs will be on a square shaft. Measure the width of the shaft (or square part if it's a shaft with threading). It's probably 5/8". Now you need to find handles that have the same size shaft that is square. Newer knobs and handles screw into the shaft, which is round and threaded at the end, rather than held in place with a little screw in its side.

    I'm not entirely certain of the shaft compatibility for putting knobs/handles designed for cylindrical sets (modern standard that has supplanted mortises), because I'm not sure if modern handles for mortises are really a thing, but maybe they are.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).