0

Please look at this photo and help with vent question

stillnoregrets

We are building a new house, and I unashamedly hope to copy as much of this beautiful kitchen as I can:

May 2016 Southwest Florida Edition · More Info

I especially love the look of the custom vent hood, which appears very shallow in depth (judged by likely 12" upper cabinets) as compared to the cooktop. I know this is not ideal.

We're getting a 6-burner Wolf gas cooktop that measures 28 1/2" D. To somewhat match the look in the photo, I'd like to get a 19" D hood liner...which would be deeper, but still not ideal. We rarely (if ever) do any high-heat, smoky type of cooking.

My question: How many CFMs should we get in a blower?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Anglophilia

Get over the idea of a custom hood. They are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive and often are not even functional.

You want a minimum of 600 CFMs for your actual blower.

stillnoregrets thanked Anglophilia
  • kaseki

90 CFM actual flow per square foot of hood entry aperture. Without analysis, plan on buying a blower rated at 1.5X that and be sure to have a low pressure loss means of make-up air for the same flow rate.

24 inches deep would be better, and 27 even better yet. However, if any greasy cooking is limited to the rear burners, then shallower may suffice. Otherwise, darker colors may be desirable.

stillnoregrets thanked kaseki
  • Shannon_WI

VAH (Ventahood) makes the Excalibur hood in a similar shape as what you posted. The banding and rivets on the banding are upcharges. VAH offers a choice of several metals and painted finishes, but not the material you have pictured, which is described as a "wood slatted hood", something I would never choose in a hood, due to having to clean out all those crannies. And if you don't clean it, it will look unsightly quickly, unlike a metal surface that you can just wipe down in 30 seconds. You would be cursing that choice in no time. I also wouldn't choose a painted finish, as I believe they scratch and rub over time. My preference is a SS hood, and one choice in the Excalibur is to have it in brushed stainless steel, but with a band on the bottom in polished stainless, which looks great, just MHO.

You mentioned you wanted a shallow hood, and it sounds like you already know that is a mistake. Why do you want that? It actually looks better to have a hood with more coverage, as a shallow hood looks like you cheaped out, and did not care about the efficacy of the hood. If you are worried about banging your head, that is not really a problem.

stillnoregrets thanked Shannon_WI
  • stillnoregrets

Shannon, thank you for your thoughtful response. To answer your question, I am trying to balance form and function, and it’s a matter of personal preference that I like the look of a less substantial hood as well as the wood feature. The matter of cleaning the slats has crossed my mind.

I have never built a home before and so am new to choosing a ventilation system. Since the photo shows a shallower hood with a pro cooktop, I thought this was an acceptable (albeit not ideal) setup.

• Hillside House

Those could be 15” deep uppers (instead of 12”).

ETA: In looking at the photo closer, I’m almost sure of it. If the oven cabinet is the standard 24” deep, you can tell on the side that the uppers come out further than the halfway point.

stillnoregrets thanked Hillside House
  • Sammy

That vent hood isn’t as shallow as you think. If you look closely you’ll see that the cabinetry above it is proud of the adjacent cabinets, and of course the hood curves a few inches beyond that. Actually, it looks like the front of the hood is more or less on the same plane as the front of the wall ovens. Feel better? :)

stillnoregrets thanked Sammy
  • Sammy

It appears our posts crossed in the mail, Hillside House!

stillnoregrets thanked Sammy
  • nidnay

Here are some guidelines from Wolf that might be helpful.

stillnoregrets thanked nidnay
  • nidnay

No shame in copying that kitchen....it’s a beauty!

stillnoregrets thanked nidnay
  • weedmeister

" If the oven cabinet is the standard 24” deep, you can tell on the side that the uppers come out further than the halfway point. "

And the hood comes out at least as far as the ovens.

stillnoregrets thanked weedmeister
  • stillnoregrets

@Hillside House, @Sammy, @weedmeister...you are BRILLIANT! I had my cabinet maker look at this photo and he didn’t even catch this; thank you! And yes...I feel better! :o)

@nidnay, thank you for sharing that guidance and the kind words. I’m obsessed with this kitchen.

• Shannon_WI

Well, if you are going to copy that kitchen, move the island sink over a bit. The way it is now, if someone is at the range, and someone is at the sink, they will be bumping behinds! An island sink is better off to one side anyway. Leaves an uninterrupted expanse of island counter.

stillnoregrets thanked Shannon_WI
  • stillnoregrets

@Shannon_WI ...good points!

• kaseki

Wolf missed a chance with their Ventilation Guide by not including fan curves for all their fans, and pressure loss curves for all of their hoods. Then hood and blower selection could be better tailored to the realities of the equipment.

stillnoregrets thanked kaseki

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)