0

painted pine ceiling & beige tone cabinet will it work?

reba jo
I’m having my solid oak cabinets professionally painted a beige color/distressed & adding a pine ceiling with white beams. (So hoping it will look like sample)

Do you think these colors will work together?

I’m posting a pic of cabinets & new backsplash
Along with quartz counter.

I have a cottage/farm style.

I would love opinions on these colors..

Thank you!
  • Bri Bosh
    Is that the counter sample you’re looking at? If so, I think it’s going to be too busy. Lots of pattern in the counter, backsplash, and the business of the distressed cabinets, plus wood ceilings and beams... can you attach a photo of current kitchen from further back? What are the floors?
    Flo Mangan
    I fear too much pattern going on. Plus white will clash with your creamy, distressed cabinets. I would suggest going with backsplash that matches cabinets main color and keeping it simple and use matching grout. The other option is to go with dark tile color. Otherwise, the eye will have no where to rest. Do you have a vent fan? Is that a feature?
  • reba jo
    The square cream piece will be the color of painted distressed cabinets. That is the backsplash sample also in the picture.

Dover white pine ceiling, 2 beams & extra lighting
    Is what we are going for.

We are leaving existing quartz because these are only 3 years old.

This is existing kitchen picture & floors will be stained a pecan/grey color.

I’ve not been impressed with pictures I see of
    Painted cabinets so I’m nervous about this!
  • reba jo
    I don’t have anywhere to move the microwave .. I so wished I did!

We are adding the pine ceiling for cottage detail
    And to be able to add more lighting.

Do you have suggestions? Should I glaze the ceiling to match floor? I’m lost as you can see.
  • mark_rachel

If you are keeping the countertops then you need to go with a less busy backsplash. You tiles are beautiful, but will only add chaos to your space. Go with a simple cream crackle subway.

• Annastacia
    I agree with above. The counter material is very busy, simple is best. I am almost concerned that the distressed finish may even be a bit much with the countertops, are you able to do just one door, before committing to the whole kitchen?
  • reba jo
    I probably could do one door. Do you think just add mild distressing & glaze would work? I see cathedral style doors criticized on a regular bases
    So my fear is that painting them is going to make them stand out more? Adding a little distressing and glazing might help them looking a little more
    Updated.

What if we just did the pine ceiling and no beams?

I do have a pic of a subway tile but just loved the different shape design of the pic I posted.
  • mark_rachel

You really have no idea what your cabinets are going to look like. Doing one door might not help either since it should all be done together. If I were you I would go ahead & do the cabinets & THEN worry about the ceiling & backsplash.

• townlakecakes

I’m going against the grain. I think distressed cream cabinets (you said beige in your original post, which is a different thing completely) will work perfectly well with that counter. And distressing will camouflage new chips that are inevitable on painted cabinets.

Ceiling: will the ceiling be carried through to whatever room is attached to the kitchen ? If no, I would skip the ceiling treatment altogether. It will only emphasize the small size of the kitchen

Floor: I get that you’re going for weathered farm look, but a) gray woods are on their way out and b) gray will not look good with your counters. Any distressed floor will be rustic. Put your floor sample next to the counter and door. A warmer tone will look better.

Bacsplash: can wait until everything else goes in. If you have a 4” splash on yoir counter, it will need to go. If it can’t go, just paint the backsplash with a durable scrubbable paint.

• cat_ky

I think the cabinets that you have are very nice, and wouldnt paint them at all. Particularly in a glazed distressed finish, which to me, just looks old and shabby. I dont like your existing wall color, but, rest of the kitchen looks really nice.

• herbflavor

ouch..very high risk approach. In some areas of life, this is a positive trait. Kitchen renovating.....I guess I would do things in phases....and AVOID high risk. but we are all different.....Consult w Susan Serra re your palette....check out her web site.... She does some services online now..she's great and will help you. I just don't know. I give you credit for seeking a transformation[all at once it appears]…..but I would obtain consult re the details. You want a newer look. It looks to me like the end result would still say 1980's....but for the surfaces you like/ the "feel", I think there is a way and take you forward with the result.

• reba jo
    I’m sorry I wasn’t clear - I have oak floors that aren’t distressed, we just want to use that color (on sample board) if we go with the painted cabinets.

I didn’t get the official color name off the sample board for the cabinets & that’s just to give ideas that would go with my quartz. (Darkest Cream -beige)

The problem with the ceiling is that we want to add new lighting & to do that the ceiling will have to be cut (electrician said) out to add canned lights. The pine boards would cover that.

I did seek advise from someone here in my town (interior design) and these were her ideas.. but I’m a play it safe person and I’m feeling scared about it.

I’d like to change the cabinet color because we are refinishing our floors & I would like a different shade. My quartz has grey/rust/cream so I want to add a little grey in the floor (as seen on sample board)

Having oak cabinets also gives very few wall paint choices.

Any thought???
  • mark_rachel

If you want a simple face lift you can paint the walls, change the backsplash, change out that light & change the hardware. If you still don't like it THEN you can paint the cabinets. Or just start with a solid off white/cream paint for the cabinets & skip the distressed look.

• Hillside House

Just a couple of thoughts from me: have you seen the paint/distress/glaze on oak cabinets? They have such a heavy, distinct grain, and I’m not sure it will translate the same as your sample when all is said and done.

Cathedral-style doors are dated, true. (I removed them from my kitchen last year.) Glazed/distressed finishes are also a bit dated, though, and will highlight the arch in your doors, which seems to be the opposite of what you want. Personally, I would go with a standard paint finish.

Just as a idea: Having existing cabinets painted (especially with multiple steps like glazing and distressing) is a costly project to have done right. It might not be much more $1-2K) to have new doors/drawer faces painted and installed. May be worth checking in to, at least, if you don’t love the current style.

• townlakecakes

Any decent electrician can add remodel housings for recessed lights without tearing up the ceiling. It doesn’t matter if it’s one or two story. We had 4 added to our dining room and didn’t have to patch anything. If they say otherwise, I’d call someone else. Watch a YouTube video to educate yourself and see how it’s done.

And anyway, even if you did have to patch it, that’s way easier and cheaper than adding pine to cover it up.

If you think just painting the walls might do it for you, here are 2 sites with color help for honey oak

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/the-best-paint-colours-to-go-with-oak-wood/

http://www.true-design-house.com/blog/2016/3/14/bestpaint-with-honey-oak

For inspiration do a Pinterest search of updated oak cabinets

• jhmarie

I have a cottage / vintage style in my oak kitchen:

https://www.houzz.com/photo/110720042-my-pics-work-in-progress

https://www.houzz.com/photo/109854029-my-pics-work-in-progress

https://www.houzz.com/photo/109854052-my-pics-work-in-progress

I will be honest - in my own personal preference I dislike "faux" cottage - distressed cabinets, distressed backsplash etc. This is probably because in my family that actually owns farms, cottages etc., that look never existed. My grandmothers would have never allowed the surfaces in their kitchen to become distressed looking.

You can achieve a more authentic cottage look in your kitchen with or without painting the cabinets. If you do paint, I would advise that you not distress. I haven't seen everything that Joanne Gains has done in Farmhouse style, but I don't believe I have seen her or any recent designer purposely distress.

Painted over oak cabinets tend to distress themselves if the open houses I have attended are anything to go by:) I see wood cabinets in European cottages frequently.

My ceiling lighting is not great, but I find it doesn't matter because my under cabinet lighting brightens everything up. I would get that and then access your need for new over head lighting.

Right now it looks like you have natural oak flooring - classic, flexible style wise, and the best tone to hide dust and scratches. It already says cottage / farmhouse.

You have a pretty kitchen. You are going to spend quite a lot of money to achieve a look that I do not see as an improvement. That said, it is your kitchen and your vision.

Some options to add cottage charm: Rework a cabinet to a plate rail cabinet - there are kits that can help with this, remove a cabinet and add a small amount of open shelving, Curtain your sink base cabinet, add vintage decor - old china, milk glass etc. Avoid too much Hobby Lobby decor - some of it is very cute, but tends to trends and occasionally is too much faux. I do have some decor from home stores - I just try to be careful about over doing it.

Add a floral or other cottage feeling fabric window treatment. Consider floral, botanical and vintage art. I do love my apron front sink. However, it will cost more to install since the counters are already in. I have a short apron Kohler Whitehaven. "Short apron" apron front sinks can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet. They do have a shorter apron, so be sure you like the look. I think Elkay makes a short apron sink too.

If you can live with a smaller countertop microwave, a hood would be prettier. I stained an unfinished hood to match my cabinets. It is an older, French country style, but other styles are available. Even an ordinary stainless hood would be pretty.

In your first pic, the ordinary light tile is fine, though basic cream subway is more cottage. Bead board is another option.

• reba jo
    Thank you so much for your input, it helps so much to have a sounding board.

I agree with the thought that painting the cabinets
    May end up emphasizing the cathedral arch that’s been my fear all along.

If I change the doors what do I do about the oak boxes? The cathedral arch is on the front of my bar
    And on the ends of my cabinets.

I’m ok with my cabinets (although if I could I would change them) but my real issue is there are not many paint choices that looks good with the color given the floors and cabinets have that oak yellow cast.

We are extending our hardwoods into 2 more bedrooms and I’d like to have a light floor but no gold?

I have a cherry & black dining room (solid,Amish)

So I’m trying to make all the details “flow”.
    While I love Joanna Gaines I’m not into a colorless pallet.. I think the look is beautiful... I just love warm colors.

The decor I have has come from furniture stores and I agree about hobby lobby items.

My son is a master electrician.. and a good one
    So I trust his advise on lighting.

Do you think the pine board would be a nice added
    Touch to the ceiling regardless of stained or painted cabinets??
  • cat_ky

I think the pine ceiling will make your ceilings look lower, even painted white, and you said 2 beams. You have staggered upper cabinets, so I cant even imagine beams working in that room. I would leave the cabinets and leave the ceiling and concentrate on the backsplash, and other things in there. A nice light green, light blue, or light aqua shade, goes beautifully with your cabinets and will give you a little more brightness in there too. Your cabinets look to be in pristine condition.

• reba jo
    I’m thinking of omitting the beams & just doing the pine ceiling.

I need to do the pine ceiling to add several can lights.

If I do not paint the cabinets, what color of backsplash would you suggest using?

I’ve already used blue in my foyer & dining room

This morning is a closeup of quartz.
  • reba jo
    Oops.. I’ve used blue paint in my dining room and foyer
  • jhmarie

I have a friend with a small but lovely new kitchen in an older victorian home. She has a beadboard ceiling painted a light pale green - I think with a gray undertone - but her cabinets are white. I love her ceiling!

I have to redo my family room ceiling and am thinking of white bead board or planking. The man who is going to do the work showed me a lovely pine ceiling, but I am concerned with my wood floors, wood furniture and doors that it will be too much wood - even though a large built-in and the trim are white.

If you don't paint your cabinets, you might do a painted plank ceiling. I did have to have part of a ceiling removed earlier this year to repair my dryer vent. The ceiling was repaired and I cannot tell the work was ever done, so as has been said, you don't have to do the pine ceiling to get new lighting, but if it is a look you love, that is fine. You can have the pine finished as light as possible - don't let it be treated with something that will turn it orange - easy to have happen with pine, or you might opt for white bead board with wood beams. Don't do too big of beams if your ceilings are not high.

Here is a wood kitchen with a pine ceiling. It does have a lot of windows to keep the space light.

You could do the ceiling and then decide whether you need to paint it, or the cabinets.

You have white trim which makes it easier to find wall paint that works with the oak. The only problem is you cannot use cool grays - well you can, but cool grays and warm woods do not bring out the best in each other and are a bit drab together. The good news is that warm woods are being used again and the darker, cooler grays are not as pervasive in new design pics. I am seeing a lot of warm woods mixed with whites and creams. Warm grays, which often read green, do work well with warm wood tones if you want more color. Whites with a gray undertone also can work.

This is Maritime White:

This is a lot of what I am seeing in newer designs - you can't turn your cabinets into these, but they are warm wood. White oak cabinets mixed with white and very little gray. This, or these cabinets mixed with white are the newest in kitchen designs. While we cannot turn your cabinets into these, we can take a lesson from the colors and design:

If you get a chance, take a picture of your sink wall. If you have plenty of cabinet space, one option would be to reduce the cabinets on the sink wall and open up that area. I would not necessarily tile up the wall, but kitchens with lots of light look better than those that don't. More light might also make the pine ceiling work better.

Just realized your sink is in the peninsula - but what is on the wall to the left - any windows?

• remodeling1840
    I love how creative you are in trying to fix the look of your kitchen. I don’t like cookie cutter or “follow the leader”. But, as an antique lover, I agree with ghmarie. Distressed is overdone. If you look at actual original-paint finishes, you will see wear only where hand touched the surfaces, around knobs or handles, on one part of the edge of a door, the edge of a piece. Never do you see illogical wearing on all sides of a door, all four edges of a drawer, the entire front surface of a cabinet. True wear is not a belt sander around all the edges. As to the pine ceiling, I love the idea, too. It is expensive. We just had lighting added to our kitchen. Holes were drilled through the ceiling, the electrician fished wiring through, and we repainted. A good drywall repair should be less expensive than the pine ceiling. I do love the look of painted pine, so it comes down to budget and your overall look. Get prices for both, then you can make an informed decision.
  • reba jo
    All the ideas I have listed came from a interior decorator in my area. But every time I think of painting the cabinets, I get cold feet about it.
    But I’m not a professional either so...
    I’m going to check into getting new doors.
    I’ve just never known what to do about the grain
    On the pre-existing oak boxes if I changed the doors?

We have actually ordered the plank for the ceiling
    As we were trying to do a little upgrading and add interest to our kitchen ... and take advise lol
    (Electricians coming today too)

On my sink wall, we have a bar and beyond that
    A breakfast nook & bay window.

I love all the pictures you posted. I wish my cabinets were a lighter shade like that as far as for paint options. I feel like lighter paints make my cabinets “stick out” more when I really don’t want to draw attention.

I love “cottage journal” style. It’s quality but also
    Eclectic & timeless... that’s what I’m trying to achieve.
  • reba jo
    Sink wall area
  • cat_ky

Your kitchen looks to have 8 ft ceilings. Putting the pine on them, will bring them lower, which is why I would not want to do that. Even painted white, they will look lower. A good patch job (if it is even going to be needed, depends upon how good your electrician is) would look better than the pine ceiling is going to look. If you had 9 or 10 ft ceilings, then the pine ceiling would look good painted or stained. 8 ft ceilings (which are my favorite height), look much better left to painted sheetrock. Find a color that goes well with the blues you have already painted elsewhere, and try a sample on your kitchen, maybe a lighter shade, like a gray blue.

• reba jo
    The ceilings are 9 foot. The painter came today and mentioned a composite type ceiling board that looks like wood so we may see if that’s a better option and exchange what we ordered.

He recommended a sw paint color called natural tan that looks very nice if we decide to paint(he brought a sample door)with our counters.

I still want to price getting new doors to weigh out the options.

Pic: Wood painted sw natural tan

So decisions.. decisions
  • jhmarie

I do not have experience with refacing, though I have also thought about new doors. One option might be to go with a door with more "overlay". These type of doors hide more of the frame. I don't find the color of your cabinets to be a problem, especially as warm woods are returning in popularity. Oak is also coming back, and while mostly in design pics, it is the quarter sawn oak, people are going back to realizing oak is a strong wood that takes stain well and makes a good cabinet.

Full overlay doors (I think) - hide the frame more - I am not sure what wood this is:

Alameda Retro Kitchen Remodel · More Info

I also like the traditional raised panel - it is a good sturdy door and probably not as expensive.

For your backsplash, if you do not paint, cream subway tile or beadboard would be a good cottage choice - though not opposed to the simple cream decorative one in your first pic - just probably do a cream grout too so it does not get busy. Beadboard, possibly painted would be a good cottage backsplash with cream cabinets too, or a subway tile to be determined after the painting is done.

The yellow cast to your floors is probably due to the age of the finish. Old oil based finishes amber over time. You also may be getting some yellow reflection from the wall color. Lighting also affects the color tone of wood. I helped decrease the yellow tones in my oak by changing to bulbs that were a little less warm. If you are going to add new wood flooring, have the flooring person show you some samples of the present flooring type in natural and in a light stain with a water based finish. It should look much less yellow. If you do not paint your cabinets, the grayish cast to the floor color you are considering will not blend well with the warm cabinets. Also, staining oak flooring to a grayish color doesn't always go well, especially if you have a red oak floor - I am not sure what type you have. Make sure you are working with a very reputable company and that actual samples are done for you on wood that is the same as your floor.

I understand considering painting the cabinets. So many articles on cottage style start with painted cabinets. I agree with those that suggest just a simple paint job - no distressing. I looked through the Cottage Journal website and saw only a couple of kitchens with some distressing. I am also not sure how well distressing works on a previously finished surface. You don't want the old finish coming through the new paint - just looks like a bad paint job.

As has been mentioned, if you paint oak the texture of the grain will show through - not the color of the grain. That is probably not a big deal with a cottage look. Also, wood moves with changes in temp and humidity which can cause hairline cracks in the paint at the joints. Again, this probably will not bother you with a cottage style. Most factory painted cabinets are MDF or wood (usually maple) combined with MDF because this is more stable as to movement and paints up very smooth. Painted over finished cabinets do not have as durable a finish as factory painted cabinets. I've seen some that look good many years later, and some that do not. I have some painted cabinets in my home (laundry and powder room) and others that are stained (kitchen, three bath vanities, basement kitchen), so I can say I am happy with both. Though I love cottage style, I did not want to paint my kitchen cabinets so I opted to work with the style in other ways.

This is an example of a joint crack and the texture on one of my laundry room doors - this was painted many years ago and wasn't a great cabinet even before painted - also, this is really close up:

https://www.houzz.com/photo/131183278-your-houzz-bookmarks

From a distance, not real visible. (I really need to switch those hinges to white - oh well.)

https://www.houzz.com/photo/48834534-my-pics-work-in-progress

The lowers of those cabinets sat in the garage for 20 years. Then I refinished them for the basement:

https://www.houzz.com/photo/65270573-my-pics-work-in-progress

You do have a functioning kitchen, so do take things slowly and a step at a time. Take care of the lighting first. You may also want to neutralize the wall paint with a coat of white primer just to remove the yellow reflection while making decisions.

I asked for the wrong wall for a picture - though I am glad to see the sitting area. If possible, I would like to see the other side of the kitchen.

If you wanted a cottage change in the eating area, consider some pretty, possible floral roman shades. If you sew, you can make faux roman shades which would hide your blinds - like a valance. This is not necessary, but a little bit of a cottage look.

• reba jo
    Thank you for all the good info & ideas!
    My floors were refinished 2 years ago and
    It was a very poor job with water based stain.
    We were sick because of it!
    Since we are adding wood floors to additional rooms, we are going to have them all finished at the same time.
    The painter said I might try a color of minwax walnut at half formula as a sample to get things started.
    My house has Hardie siding with big white columns so while I say cottage.. it’s a farm/ cottage/southern style ... if there is such a thing☺️
  • jhmarie

Water based stain should not have a strong odor. Oil based has very strong odor. I am wondering if they used the products they said they did, especially if it was a poorly done job. Do go to a flooring specialist - not the guy who is painting the cabinet - who should also be a specialized cabinet painter, not a house painter - and get references from people who had their cabinets painted a few years ago. Most of the flooring pros here do not recommend Miniwax stains for floors.

Water based finish dries quickly, but requires more coats. It also dries relatively clear.

Plantation shutters are a thought for the windows. I want some myself but too pricy right now:)

• reba jo
    When I said sick.. I meant from the poor job not the odor. I have a feeling I didn’t get the coats needed for good protection though.

He said he was old school as far as minwax .. they do high end houses here though and highly recommended. What’s wrong with minwax??
    They do mix shades also
  • SJ McCarthy

Minwax is a DIY level product. The stains they produce can be used with other oil based finishes...which means you are going to be "locked into" oil based finishes.

A properly finished water based polyurethane floor should last longer than 2 years. I'm going to guess the product used was "off the shelf" with too few coats. Which would be a massive problem. Sigh. Sadly this is why SOOOO many people talk about how "bad" water based finishes are. It isn't the finish. It is the "PROFESSIONAL" (so-called) who puts down the low-end stuff (and offers a GREAT price) that create this misconception of "water based" finishes.

Minwax stains are used every day. They are ubiquitous to the flooring industry. They've been around SOOOOO long that every wood flooring professional has either trained with them or continues to use them today. The problem with Minwax is it can have issues with water based products that are far more up-to-date (chemically) than when oil based finishes were the ONLY OPTION.

Please be aware that any oil based finish (even oil modified water based products) will turn your wood orange (or a heavy yellow). If you want a softer gray tone, you will find an oil based finish WILL turn it orange. This is VERY upsetting to anyone who is looking for the strong gray (like the planks you are holding in the pics) you want.

Personally, I think your kitchen is already "country" simply because of the style of the doors. A soft white paint will offer what you want without the distressing. My personal favourite would be antique blue...but you have to change the counters for that.

The natural wood colours are timeless. If you look at any country home (anyone on a farm in an old farm house) you will find natural wood floors - because they can't be too fussy about 'fashion'. Flooring has to be functional. And natural is the most functional of all.

And just for fun, I KNOW the cherry table/chairs will clash BADLY with any gray tone you put down. Cherry wood + gray wood = big clash that will make you cry. Right now the natural wood is doing VERY well with the cherry. The "problem" child would be the black stools. Ignore them. Focus on the cherry+natural oak. They are the two valuable items in the room. And they are working VERY nicely right now. I woudn't mess with that combo.

• jhmarie

Thanks SJ - I asked her to give advice because she is a flooring / wood specialist!

• reba jo
    I hope I’m not about to make the biggest mistake of the yearbut I think I’m going to have the cabinets painted in the sw early tan color, leave the floors close to the color they are hopefully toning down the yellow (this only has a clear coat at the present), we started adding can lights, new bar lights, ribbon & rope lights. My next hurdle is the pine ceiling.. to stain it? Or paint to match the cabinets or trim? Considering the cabinets will be lighter would it be better to stain & add balance between the dark and light colors?

Thank you for all the info on the flooring! It was water based but it definitely wasn’t applied right, so I can’t blame the product.

Yes, the black stools will be going.. I think I’m going with a style that slides under the counter and gives more space in the walkway.

Early tan with Dover white trim-
  • reba jo
    Correction.. paint is called natural tan
  • SJ McCarthy

The way to "tone down" the yellow in the floors is to use a product like Bona Natural or Nordic Seal. If your wood is white oak, you may need to use a sealer if your are using a water based product. White Oak has a history of "tannin pull" which means some of the yellow colour INSIDE the wood is pulled to the surface making it little yellow.

Some of the Bona products are their own sealants. But again it comes down to application.

The other issue with "yellow" throwing onto the floor: the wall colour. I'm sorry to say but your wall colour is throwing TREMENDOUS amounts of yellow onto your floor and into your space.

If you want the yellow of the floors to 'tone down' you may have to go with a different wall colour.

• reba jo
    I have yellow in the kitchen area is that what you mean?? I pretty much stuck with yellow because of the stained oak cabinets... that’s why I’m want to paint them.

I have the oak all the way through along with hand rails
  • cat_ky

Reba yellow is the worst color to have on your walls with stained oak cabinets. Any paints with yellow in them, do not look good with stained oak cabinets

• reba jo
    So what would you use considering I have blue in the dining room? Something in a cream color to go with lighter backsplash?

The lighting should b finished tonight. And the pine ceiling added Friday. I’m waiting for that before I give the final answer on cabinets.
  • cat_ky

Most creams look yellowish, so no, I would not pick that. Maybe a lighter blue than your dining room? A light green, a light aqua. All those colors were mentioned above. The yellow of the walls, is making your cabinets and your floors look yellower than what they really are.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)