Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_530593

Help with kitchen!!!!

Saima Syed
5 years ago
Current:kitchen with solid light maple cabinetry, custom glass mosaic backsplash, quartz countertops

What can I do make it looking upgraded and custom while still keeping costs down. I plan on getting new appliances (thermador range and built in refrigerator). I don’t like the look of cabinets and handles. Can I paint then white? All suggestions are really appreciated. Pics are attached. Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

For me it is the crazy kaleidoscope backsplash. With a less busy backsplash, new hardware and different window treatments (they look heavy and boxy) that kitchen will look like a completely different place.

Of course you can have the cabinets painted but they look nice as is. Maybe paint the island cabs and see how you like it for a while. I think with the above changes you will like the cabinets more.

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    I think it’s the backsplash, dizzingly busy, just a subtle subway in grey, not sure of colour of your countertop. What is the name of it.
  • lnlcouture
    5 years ago

Overall, you have a very nice sized kitchen. I believe when you're on a budget and your cabinets are in decent shape, sometimes changing the color can make a big change without killing your pocket book.

Paint your cabinets one of the colors in your tile. White is okay, but a light taupe or gray would really be nice and fresh ( i tried blowing up the pics but the tile became distorted and I couldn't see the true colors). Maybe paint the cabinets even slightly darker than your walls. I would definitely have them professionally painted. Check out their work on cabinets and get recommendations of course. Color would definitely be nice and bring out your tile. Honestly, I think the color of your cabinets look very dated. Painting your cabinets will also look good with your counter top. I can barely see the colors in the tile so it's difficult to tell you what color exactly.

The new appliances will also help to pull your kitchen together. Keep that in mind.

The black appliances do need the update, especially if your painting your cabinets.

Lighting fixtures definitely need to be changed and the big box that are holding the lighting has to come down. That is also dating your kitchen. Find lighting with clean lines. In looking at your furniture, you seem to have more of a modern liking. Go with more sleek or modern vibe on the lighting.

Same with the hardware. Go with something that matches your appliance color or your lighting color.

Good Luck to you. Just stick to one of the neutral colors in your tile, or white and go with the painting of the cabinets. Your kitchen will look fabulous.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Gorgeous maple kitchen. Natural maple is my favorite-- unless it's in bad condition don't paint.

Just a few things need to change:

1. Backsplash

2. Lighting

3. Hardware

4. Add paneled ends to the entire island.

5. Change color of island outlet (better yet, relocate!)

6. You do need to paint or change somehow the soffit with the pendants over the island.

7. Optional, paint just the island.

What do you like? Are you going for farmhouse, traditional, modern? You need to have an idea of the "look" you want... but these are the changes that will very inexpensively completely change the look of your kitchen.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Your cabinets are fine. Don't paint them. You can change the backpsplash, change hardware & take out the huge light over the island. What kind of condition are the floors in?

• Saima Syed
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks all for your suggestions. I will definitely take them into consideration when I renovate.
    My ideas are:
    Hardwood floor( walnut color)
    Change all appliances
    Change hardware to stainless steel
    Change back splash ( what color should I go with)
    Change lighting
    Can you island cabinets be of color than rest?
    Change wall color

My style is modern farmhouse.
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago
    I’m voting with the group that says don’t paint. I think the backsplash is distracting. Maple kitchens, to me, are best with cool soothing colors.
    Look for a light green or blue glass subway tile. Don’t paint until you start redoing everything BUT the cabinets. This is salvageable but all the smaller elements need upgrading.
    Check out more sleek handles too.
    Can the floor be changed or no?
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

You mention new appliances but only the range and fridge. 1st of all, a Thermadore range ( range rather than cooktop?) isn't going to make this kitchen look more up-graded as long as the microwave is over it. If you are looking at Thermadore only because of the brand name and not the features of it that would enhance your cooking experience then I would consider other brands at a less cost and put the money elsewhere. Also, if you are exchanging black appliances for new black appliance then I wouldn't change them until you can replace all of them with SS. The black is too strong with the cabinets and flooring and they don't say "up-grade."

You could paint your cabinets white but with everything that exist in your kitchen now, I think you will regret it and you'll find that was the wrong way to go. If you wonder, get some large white poster board and put it on the fronts of your cabinets.

Might also consider removing that box on the ceiling if it's only purpose is "decorative." I know 30 yr old homes that have that "feature." Looks like this kitchen and area were more traditional when the house was built and your taste runs more modern so that is the conflict, And one of the reasons why you feel at odds with it which includes not liking the hardware which you can easily change out but need to be mindful not to go to modern. I also feel that the pendants and chandelier are more traditional than what you are trying to accomplish.

Have you thought of a long runner in front of the sink to warm up the look of the flooring?

Recap- all SS appliances, new light fixtures, new hardware, remove ceiling box and add a runner. That's were I would start and you may find that is all you need to do.

• Saima Syed
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes floors will be changed to hardwood walnut. I just love walnut color for floors.
  • Saima Syed
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am not a chef by any means. I am getting thermador only for looks and some functionality. Also hood above the range.
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    5 years ago

It doesn't look like you need to paint the cabinets at all. We do agree however that the backsplash is an issue. We recommend to update the kitchen, to get a less distracting backsplash. Try new appliances, hardware, under cabinet lighting, new pendant lights, and new chandelier in dining room. We actually think the wall color works, and we would try white subway since the countertops seem to have white in them. However we would need to see a better picture of it to tell for sure. Here is a recent design we did, which might help.

Cascade Mountain Home · More Info