Your shopping cart is empty.
Find the right pro for your project

Family room decor/design

kateg31
3 days ago
last modified: 3 days ago

I am looking to decorate this room but don’t know where to start. The first photo is our family room. The second photo is inspiration of what i would like to work towards for the room. I just don’t even know where to start. Help!!

Comment (1)
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

The first step is to determine what you want to DO in the room--what is its purpose? Once you answer that, then you come up with a furniture layout plan that supports the function of the room. Also do you need to do any construction? I see carpeting in the room, do you want to keep it or have hardwood flooring? Is there wood flooring under the carpet? If not, you may need to install it. Do you need to change out any windows? Do you need to add trim or molding? Is the electrical service (outlets, chandeliers) sufficient for your wants and needs. Do you want to install electronics (TV, sound system, etc.)? Any construction or electrical work needs to come first, before buying furniture.

After doing all the work on the shell, then you focus on furniture, floor coverings, window treatments, lighting and lastly accessories. A furniture layout plan helps you when you go shopping--do you have any items that can be reused? do you need one or two sofas? What sizes/colors? Chairs? rug sizes? accent tables? Also a predetermined color palette will help you narrow down the possibilities.

These are all questions you want to answer before you sit down with the furniture salesperson who will need to know before ordering.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)