Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucywilliam1

can’t make a decision to save my life♀️♀️

lucywilliam1
5 years ago
remodeling my master bathroom. Have purchased the cabinets which are a dark, almost black,stained cherry. I have to decide on everything else. flooring would go. thinking of putting in oak hardwood that runs throughout my upstairs and possibly keeping shower walls and replacing just the floor. i kills me to replace the shower doors with new ones because i HATE cleaning them and waiting on a residue resistant invention. we have very hard water.
so need opinions on
countertop
mirror ideas and lighting
shower area

Comments (37)

• lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    the main reason i was considering it is because they are warmer on the foot and i hate grout and tile that typically is trendy. u are suggesting gutting shower? i have cream woodwork throughout my home so am cautious of white.
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

You can put in radiant heat under the tile floor if you want. It's not a huge expense and if you're changing out the floor anyway, it's a nice option. As for the "trendiness" of black and white tile, it's the least trendy option. The styles I show above are classic and will be pretty impervious to feeling dated in a few years.

• T M
    5 years ago

You can get the porcelain tile that looks like wood.

• lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i am unable to put in radiant heat. my first choice! circuit board full so would cost about $4,000 for me.

i do t mind thought of wood tile but would have to be something i would love next to my hard wood in bedroom. found a mosaic one but was engineered wood
  • lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    this
  • lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    sabrina, would you do it with a cream trim based home? sounds silly but just wondering
  • lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    this is my bedroom
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

Don't put in wood look tile if the adjacent hallway has hardwood. The transition from real wood to fake wood will be very noticeable.

• lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    trim appears white but definitely cream
  • lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    it’s right off my bedroom with oak flooring
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

I wouldn't do wood look tile next to real wood.

Tribeca Bathroom Remodel · More Info

Transitional Bathroom · More Info

Contemporary and Bright Twin Bathrooms · More Info

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Do you have a better picture of your shower? How large is it?

I am with you, hate glass doors. Last shower was a walk-in, doorless, no glass.

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    there are polymer treatments for doors. dropping the floor to go foorless can be very expensive in a remodel.
    if scale is he problem, look at a great water softener, or scale remover.. electronic.
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    doorless, not floorless... sorry
  • annied75
    5 years ago

You are going to love the additional counter space once the angled cabinets are removed!

I know this isn't a popular choice on houzz, however, I would check out vinyl sheet flooring. They've come a long ways and would be warm on your feet and easy to clean. Here are some Mannington options.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

You don't have to drop the floor for doorless :) Still have a curb, it's just about where your showerhead is, where your partition is, and size of the shower. :) I just avoid glass... hate cleaning that stuff!! Good to know that there is a polymer available to make it easier. Cool!

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Have purchased the cabinets which are a dark, almost black,stained cherry. I have to decide on everything else.

Other people have suggested black and white flooring -- something I usually like -- but you say you've purchased cabinets that are "almost black". I absolutely would not mix black and white flooring with "almost black". It's going to look wrong to have those "not quite" colors together.

mirror ideas and lighting

With the addition of a large almost-black cabinet, you need to maximize your mirror and your lighting. I'd say run your mirror wall-to-wall and go with white /clear sconces on each side of the mirror.

shower area

You hate cleaning glass doors -- so does everyone else who owns glass doors -- so go with a shower curtain. It'll be easier to care for and will add some softness to your design.

Agree with /seconding the following statements:

Don't put in wood look tile if the adjacent hallway has hardwood. The
    transition from real wood to fake wood will be very noticeable.

You are going to love the additional counter space once the angled cabinets are removed!
    I know this isn't a popular choice on houzz, however, I would check out vinyl sheet flooring.

• sheilaskb
    5 years ago

I think the wood floor is OK, but I believe the rug is too dark to add to all the other dark colors in the room. I would suggest you get a solid color area rug in a contrasting accent color, such as ivory or another pastel, to brighten up the space while keeping your feet warm.

• Kathleen K
    5 years ago
    I hate showers doors too. Nothing wrong with a nice washable shower curtain.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    I wouldn’t put hardwood floors in a bathroom....to easy to have water damage. Porcelain tiles that look like wood planks would be better.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Where is the picture of YOUR bath? What is on the shower floor and walls NOW? I actually have no issue with hardwood flooring in a MASTER bath, with two reasonably careful adults. Have done it several times. It usually gets no wetter than a kitchen floor. However, I wouldn't use a dark cherry anything with the oak flooring. Be careful you are not on your way to a dark and dated master bath..........As to shower glass? Starfire is treated to resist spotting, the use of shower gels versus bar soap helps, as does a daily spritz of cleaner meant to prevent build up. The more glass....... the more open a bath tends to feel, unless you can skip the door entirely. Not always an option.

• teamaltese
    5 years ago
    For the main bathroom floor, go with bigger tiles, less grout. The shower floor needs small tile, lots of grout for traction. A stone look porcelain tile, with blacks, whites, grays and gold, will work with your bedroom floors and your vanity.
  • teamaltese
    5 years ago
    This is the tile we used. And next to our acacia wood flooring, which has every wood tone.
  • lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    this is shower floor now. u can see by reflection in vanity mirror how small the room is- about 5 1/2 feet deep by 5 wide (not including vanity and shower area) i was considering keeping doors and wall and only replacing floor. i don’t hate floor but grout is worn and needs replaced.
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

something with white.. the contrast will be nice.

• kariyava
    5 years ago

I would choose flooring and counters that are a light cream color that coordinates with the cream in your shower and leave your shower as is (you can always re-do that later and in the meantime treat the glass in your shower with a treatment that resists water marks). I would personally use tile on the bathroom floor, but if you want something warmer LVT (not wood look) could be an option.

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    5 years ago

I like the look of a lighter tile with black ebony wood. I think it brightens up the room but also gives a sharp look. if you don't like the look of that and you want the bathroom to give off a warmer look I would go with wood tile in a natural wood color.

• PRO
    FaucetList, Inc.
    5 years ago

We recommend installing some kind of black and white tile flooring rather than wood. It will be more durable and is a timeless design that will last many design changes. Check out our top 10 unique ways to incorporate black into your bathroom design for more ideas!

• ccwatters
    5 years ago

Light flooring could help hilight the cabinets / keep room from being too dark overall. Wood floors don't love humidity and there will be a lot of that in a full bath.

I'm in the middle of a second bath reno and first wanted marble. I came back to my senses, however, and chose a porcelain 'marble' since I already had/still have porcelain in house and love the ease of maintenance of it.

They just finished up today and even without the grout being in yet, I am THRILLED with my decision! It's a gorgeous line of porcelain marble that was pricier than marble itself, but it's a small bathroom. ...and I like its look even better than the beautiful "marble bathroom" I initially wanted!

Maintenance is a breeze with tile and there are so many stunning options (I chose a large 3" hex for some personality in the shower/main floors/48" shower niche).

• lucywilliam1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i will post a pic soon. would u mind posting pic of your reno?
  • tuckerdc
    5 years ago

My recently remodeled bath with walk-in shower has a Kohler glass door w their Clean Coat feature.

It. Is. Great.

And, I have a country well w pretty hard water.

I'm a very 'inattentive' (disinterested?) housekeeper. So I really stressed out about choosing a glass door.....but I wanted the openness - it's a very small room. And I love my tile and spent $$$ on that, so wanted it to show. Anyway, the Kohler product is excellent.

• ccwatters
    5 years ago

My previous bathroom was all 'slate' porcelain and hot cocoa colored walls...could handle wear and tear of raising little ones. Now my youngest is 11, and other two are in / heading to college. So I was very excited to brighten everything up and make it a blank canvas with some personality that I can add any color or seasonal accent to. All lighting, hardware etc will be chrome (for now ;)

So far we have all rough installation and floor and shower tiled with the shower walls grouted too, but the shower niche and shower/main floor is being grouted tomorrow.

My vanity is sitting in my home office waiting for the backordered base moulding that isn't scheduled to arrive until 12/26 :( Can't install the vanity until that is installed...so can't install sinks, mirrors or sconces.

But here are some pics you asked for....

Grouted walls, un grouted niche and floor

Vanity with one drawer missing because I used it to match paint etc

Main floor without grout

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Before you plan on demo-ing the shower floor without demo-ing the shower walls, find a really good shower installer who thinks this is a good idea. Waterproofing (if it exists) will be compromised if you try this and will need someone who knows what he/she is doing to rebuild it right. Ask about how the waterproofing will be done, and understand it perfectly before you sign on. Write down the terms and products he/she plans to use and watch YouTube videos about their installation so that YOU understand it and can discuss it reasonably with the installer.

Do you have any extra tile for the shower? I am not an expert, but from reading on here I expect that some wall tiles may be damaged in demo-ing the floor. Maybe not if you have someone who has done this many, many times. Just be sure you have that person doing the work. You may also want to look into putting in a solid surface (like corian) shower pan instead of redoing tile. You would still need a tile person to make sure that the existing walls are waterproof and that the repair is done correctly. For solid surface shower pans, look at Swanstone, Transolid, MTI, Corian. Read up on the definition of Solid Surface here on the Bathroom Forum by doing a search on it at the top search box.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

You must also plan for the possibility that the shower professional discovers that your walls have no waterproofing and are not acceptable and need demo. You won't know until you get in there and see.

• ccwatters
    5 years ago

Btw, that particular brand of porcelain 'marble' is one of the most beautiful I've seen - I researched a lot of them - and it comes in a herringbone pattern that would be absolutely beautiful on a bathroom floor

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

Here's a good flooring guide for wet areas. I'd suggest maybe going lighter? flooring in wet areas