Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_wilson4020649

kitchen nook - what table

Lauren Wilson
5 years ago
We are moving into a house - and it has the built in seating as shown. My question is do we use the bench part as seating as shown in the example pic or get a round table and pull away from seating? Thanks

Comments (14)

• alex9179
    5 years ago

It's meant to be part of the seating area. If that isn't comfortable, remove the built-ins.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Alternatively, skip the table and just use the window seat and a couple of really comfy chairs and end tables and make a morning room instead of a breakfast nook. How many different places need to be specifically set up for eating anyways? :)

• Lauren Wilson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks all! What I mean is that if I did a round table would it be better pulled away from the built in like the pic I posted... and this is the eating area in the kitchen so I can't make it a morning room :)
  • mimimomy
    5 years ago

I would use the window seat as the table seating. I would not personally pull it away as in the photo. I think it makes a bit more sense in the photo, where the window seat is not a bay, and looks like it might be wider. Hard to say, but it looks like your area is narrower, so I don't think trying to pull it away and have a separate seating area would be too functional....

Just my thoughts :) Really pretty setup though!

• alex9179
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, no. Because of the foot print, desk (I'd remove it, anyway), and electrical for the chandelier. The built-ins are meant to be part of the eat-in area. An upholstered bench, without serving as table seating in this set-up, would probably be rarely used and a waste of space. Tear it out for traditional chairs that fit or have cushions made.

Personally, I don't care for this configuration because it makes the people on the window side have to squeeze between wall and chair to get out. In my younger years, I'd just crawl underneath and pop out the opposite side.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I am not a fan of a bench seating for around a table. This arrangement looks especially problematic. No back support, need custom cushions made, leg space limited. However, tearing it out will most likely create a flooring problem. I would imagine the wood flooring stops at front of bench. What I would do is carefully measure this space and see what table would work best. The built-in desk creates issues as well so measure twice and then see what shape and size of table would work best. Then select chairs.
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Casual pillows for casual eating --

Ten Broeck Farm - Winter 2013, Ellensberg WA · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/ten-broeck-farm-winter-2013-ellensberg-wa-farmhouse-dining-room-seattle-phvw-vp~2659088

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    5 years ago

With a round table, it depends on if you think you would actually use that seating or not. Is it comfortable to sit in? Do people in the middle enjoy being stuck in the middle? If you think your family will use it, then set the table near it. If your family won't, then don't.

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

• Lauren Wilson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Update this is what we did!!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Love it. Perfect chandelier and pillows really tie everything together. Good job!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Any plan for window treatments? Simple woven roman shades would look great.
  • Lauren Wilson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes I actually ordered these tonight. We only moved in a week ago and we didn't have that table before. Found a great deal on the table and chairs at Restoration Hardware outlet and the chandelier is from World Market :) I added an updated pic to my living room you helped
    Me with as well!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Great choice for windows and you have done a lot in a week!