Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noahwee

rug size help 10’x14’vs 12’x15’

Noah Noah
5 years ago
I’ve got a decent sized living room in which I have a longer sofa, and on both side of it have smaller sofas (u-shaped formation). I prefer a rug size that will fit underneath all 3 sofas so that it ties the room together.

A 10’x14’ rug will fit 2 inches under each sofa, whereas a 12’x15’ rug will fit 8” under the smaller sofas and 26” under the larger sofa. Which size rug would be the better selection of these 2 options?

Comments (10)

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

The larger rug. Without the measurements of the room I tried to do this mock up and came up with this as your furniture placement... with the rug measurements and the over hangs it seems like your small couches must be quite a distance from each other like 11-12 feet apart. Again without seeing the space it might be totally different looking...

I turned the couches and the rug a little to give it some more intimacy...

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Also some pics of the space .

• PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    5 years ago

It really all depends on the size room.

J Design Group - Miami Interior Designer
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://www.JDesignGroup.com

• Noah Noah
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here are pics of my open concept living room with the 2 rug sizes to scale. I’m leaning toward the 10’x14’ size since I feel the 12’x15’ looks a little too big/overpowering even though the whole room is fairly large. I think proportionally to everything else the smaller rug would work better. Just worried that since this smaller rug only goes 2” under the sofas that won’t be enough to feel like the room is tied together well...thoughts?
  • Noah Noah
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oops! Sorry, posted 2 of the same pic just now. Here are the correct pics:
  • Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

Your sketches do not have any measurements on them so this is still a shot in the dark but I would still say the larger of the 2 rugs and pull the couches together into the middle of the room with a coffee table and a couple of ottomans near the fireplace to warm it all up.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I agree with rawketgirl.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Please give rawketgirl's rendering a close look. Not only has she pulled the loveseats closer to the sofa, she has pulled the rug away from the TV console giving the whole seating area a more cohesive feel.

• fissfiss
    5 years ago
    Just a budget point...10x14 rugs are expensive..12x15 will be wicked expensive and hard to find!
Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022