Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
didwin

Design dilemma for family room with little office space.

Ricky S
5 years ago

We have total area of 20 ft * 23 ft to design family room with small office, thinking of below two options .

1. Just have one big family room with office space on side (Need design ideas for that)

2. Or one family room of 20* 15 and separate office room of 20 * 8 (with storage space ).

Please share your thoughts.

Comments (37)

• Lil S
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you just need a little office space, I would keep one large room. I would only consider a separate room if privacy, space to spread out and lots of storage was needed.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Show yourself your priorities and have the office in its own room.

• queenvictorian
    5 years ago

Will the family room have the TV in it? If so, partition a small separate office, if not, have the office in the one big room.

But really, depends on your circumstances.

Ricky S thanked queenvictorian
  • opaone
    5 years ago

I have a separate office in our house. But I also claim a small corner of our kitchen table where my laptop and I reside. There are times when I need the seclusion of my office (and it is also a bit of a storage space for my office kinds of stuff) but 90% of the time I like being in the center of the house where all of the people are.

Think about where you will put 'stuff'. And a printer. Will you have some place you can retreat to for seclusion?

Ricky S thanked opaone
  • Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is what I have in mind...meeting with architecture soon. Please see Family and office room

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

Seems like if you close off that separate office space there won't be any windows in the family room.

• Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are the 3 designs. Family room is gonna be high ceiling and so 2 big windows will be at higher level. It will give us enough sunlight for kitchen and family room.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    A living room without windows on the main floor is going to feel claustrophobic. Why don’t you include windows in the plan??
  • Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, we have one window in living room at front. My question is more on family room with office space design. And, there also we gonna have something like below (picture) minus doors and window at first level, as we need wall to put fireplace and TV

• shead
    5 years ago

Have you started building this plan yet?

• Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Not yet..still at drawing phase.. but seeing lot of houses and getting ideas.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Are you working with an architect? Because you really should be...

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago

None of these plans are particularly well laid out. The pantry (?) feels stuck on and will protrude awkwardly. That rounded office space will be practically unusable. And that hallway will become just so much wasted space. And I still would avoid a room that has no windows at the main level. It will feel claustrophobic, even if you're planning windows above.

I'd wait until your meeting with your architect.

• Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, we have an architect and he's good but not much creative.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Is he a legitimate architect or just a draftsman? There is a difference and based on these plans and what you're describing it seems like he's just a draftsman.

• Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

These all plans are designed by me.. Architecture just started working on our drawings, may take 2-3 weeks.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

its odd to have a major room with an outside wall and no windows at person height to look out of. you'd need a bigger reason to do that than have a closed in office hogging 2 windows.

Ricky S thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I used to have my desk/computer/files in our library. I'm a neatnik...except where my desk is concerned. It has lots of piles of things. I do know what is in each pile but it's messy. When we had the "Great Flood" (2nd floor pipe broke), my husband moved my computer etc to the basement. It's a "partially" finished basement (carpet but no ceiling) and it's the perfect place for my desk (now two 8'ft tables at right angles), my sewing machine, serger, printer - you name it all down there. I will need again have my "office" in my library or any other room other than one that is for my office ONLY.

• shead
    5 years ago

You need a new layout. There are better options out there, I’m sure. Your architect should be able to come up with something better that will provide all the spaces you need.

Ricky S thanked shead
  • Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all for your suggestions, I am meeting with architect soon with below two designs. Let see how it goes. Also,pls let me know which one you like better.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Move the stairs.

Ricky S thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Met with an architect yday and we all kind of liked below design...the only item left is position of staircase. We want it to be little curved but architect doesn't want to change the existing one(for valid reasons..cost and space utilization). Any thoughts? we definitely don't like the existing one.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

a curved staircase really eats up usable and visual space. as shown it would make it hard to have a console on the wall....

Ricky S thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Is anybody taking wagers to whether the "architect" is licensed??

• shead
    5 years ago

Is this a new build or a remodel?

A curved staircase will eat up so much room and will create a very narrow and unusable-for-anything space to the left of it that WILL become a dirt and dust magnet. Further, will there be a staircase going down to a lower level under the stairs? If not, I'd use the space under the stairs as my closet instead of carving one out of the foyer/hallway.

A 10' wide garage is going to be VERY tight. I'd want my garage doors to be at least 9' wide and allow 5 ft on each side of the car minimum. We have larger vehicles, though.

I'm bumfuzzled (yes, I made up that word) that a trained architect couldn't come up with a better layout and design. Is this person more of a draftsman? I think that both can have their places in home design but if this is a new build and you're set on not using a stock plan, an architect would be the way to go.

Ricky S thanked shead
  • chicagoans
    5 years ago

re: staircase: "architect doesn't want to change the existing one" Really? It looks like you'd trip over it the second you walk in the door! Even if you change to a single front door, it still looks very awkward. How does it relate to the second floor? What are the exterior elevations? Sorry but I think you have a great deal of work to do. Start with your list of needs and wants, your site information (topography, views, size setbacks, etc.) and budget, then let your architect design something from scratch using that background info. Then post it here and talented folks will take a look!

Ricky S thanked chicagoans
  • Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, it's a remodel and we are also planning to use the same space for basement staircase.

Again, these drawing are made up by me. Architect is fine with all the position of rooms, kitchen and rest but staircase. He is the one who is gonna draw the final sketch and will take care of EVERYTHING. He wants to keep the original staircase to save space for 2nd floor where we gonna have 3 bedrooms (1 master plus 2 kids bedroom). Here are the pics, first one is existing and 2nd is which we want (I have this on my drawing).

• chicagoans
    5 years ago

OK now I understand. I thought you were designing from scratch. Architects and others here know more than me, but my understanding is that stairs are very expensive! I think you'd do better on space and money to keep your existing stairs. Then you have more to spend on the rest of your project and more of a cushion for inevitable surprises.

The inspiration stairs you posted are lovely, but require more room between the bottom step and the front door than it looks like you have. They can also be a trip hazard.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

You built THAT stair to save money????

Can we see the "architect's" drawing?

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    Since this IS a remodel it would help to show what your ORIGINAL floor plan IS. Walls that would have to be moved. Where the bathroom is or if that would be totally new. On a remodel you need to consider these things as they will affect the cost. So We need to know what you are starting with to give you the best suggestions. Pictures of rooms as they are - like what you posted of the stairs help too. Your pantry is totally useless. Too small and in a strange spot unless this too is something already there. Then repurposing as an entry closet makes more sense.
  • Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the current plan (first and second floor)

And the proposed (my drawing), first floor only.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    Thank you but please put in the walls in and dimensions of the rooms. I know it sounds like I'm nit picking but it really is the only way to get informed suggestions
    Ricky S thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Ricky S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Old plan with measurements.

New plan, first floor only

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

That is what the "architect" drew??

• queenvictorian
    5 years ago

I'd like to know what architecture school doesn't believe that walls have thickness.

(I think the OP said those were his drawings - I would like to see the architect's sketches too)

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    I think you really need to look at the costs associated with moving walls and the kitchen and bath to get an office and curved stairs. The easiest and cheapest solution is to put your office in either bedroom and leave the floor plan the same. Take the money and time you save to update the kitchen and bath fixtures if needed but You still have not shown us what you are starting with except the stairs. Please post pictures of your current space! I think this is a waste of time and money unless you've found that money tree I've heard of. Good luck though. We really DO need more info from you to give you better solutions.