Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8489027

Porch and exterior colors for little stone cottage?

User
5 years ago

What do you guys think about colors for the porch/roof? Should we take away the bottom rails on the porch altogether? Change them with vertical rails? Any suggestions are appreciated!

A

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

What style of home are you aiming for? Right now there seems to be a bit of a disconnect from the exterior to the porch. The stone exterior is cottage, but the porch railings and roof are ranch style.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We just bought the house and this is the way it was. Its a converted school house from 1850 in a wooded location. I think we would like more cottage than ranch.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bumping this to get some more input. Thank you!

• Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    I would stay with the galvanized metal roof and eliminate the railings. Cute place!
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks @Rachell. Any ideas for colorrs to paint the porch? We are having some shutters made eventually as well and want a general idea of a color scheme going in.

• Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    I’d stay with creamy white.
  • mimimomy
    5 years ago

I love it just the way it is. :)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ugh I just feel likte the white looks so tacked on and unfinished. I would like something to integrate the porch more with the rest of the house.

• Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    I was thinking more the mortar color, but if that’s still too light for you pull a tan or gray out of the rock and use that.
  • mimimomy
    5 years ago

O.K. so how about the color of the 3rd large rock up from the bottom on the right hand corner? It looks to be a red-brown. I think that could look really nice. I don't know if you want to, but I would choose a different color for the screen door and possible the actual exterior door.

Call me crazy but I think a really bright blue on that screen door would look fab, and make the exterior door the same color as the rails.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Add red geraniums in a window box under the window in the spring.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Maybe this color red (door). I like the current railings. I would focus on planting and landscaping around the home... last photo landscaping is just to show the beautiful planting colors that go so well with similar stone colors.

Entry Pergola · More Info

Details · More Info

Details · More Info

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Love your stone cottage. I also love the idea of blue. Just some inspiration photos I found, all shades of blue. Plus Mimimomh’s red geranium! :).

I posted all the photos it would allow me to. sorry for so many but I wanted to show a variety of blue.

• Susie .
    5 years ago
    I think sage green or khaki would look good with your stones. Here are some palettes created for stone (these aren’t paint colors, it’s from LP smartside, and it’s their siding colors). I’m sure you can find paint colors that would be similar. You have a lot of orange in the stone.
  • mimimomy
    5 years ago

wmsimon love that aqua-turquoise blue (first pic I think)... but do you think it will go with Is1114's red-brown-gray? I love the color so wonder... The blue I was thinking of was closer to the last pic.... but I'd be tempted to go with the aqua because it goes so well with a red color.

• lizziesma
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

All the blue photos remind me of our trip to central Poland with homes trimmed in ultramarine blue, lacy curtain at the window along with a red geranium. Fond memory, thanks.

• dyliane
    5 years ago

I would remove the entire front porch, roof and railings

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The porch is staying. We enjoy it too much?
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I love the geraniums. The lot is over an acre and beautifully landscaped/partially wooded. There's definitely some window boxes in the future or planter boxes hanging over the railings if we keep them. I do want to replace or paint the screen door. I love the idea of doing a bright color and more neutral on the roof/railings. We are going to rent this place when we are not using it for a vacation spot or honeymoon cottage (it's near several wineries that book a lot of events) so it needs a little sprucing for the website.
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Mimimomy I love it too. I also love the soft blues and the sage that Susie suggested as well. It would probably also depend on location. Is1114 whereabouts are you located?

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

That’s weird. I am not getting notifications on this thread and I just saw your last one Is114. Sounds very exciting, it is adorable.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

It is adorable. Where are you located (generally)... would love to see landscaping.

Keep the porch! :)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Following

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus