Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alycat2018

No crown moulding on cabinets?

MD4square
5 years ago

I was looking at the renderings our kitchen cabinet designer put together, and asked to see them without the mouldings. I think I like them better! I was going for a clean, unfussy look and taking off the mouldings did it. Since our cabinets don't go to the ceiling, I don't see the point in having them. She also gave me the option of a "solid stock" to add a squared off moulding if I want. So the question is, should I stick with no mouldings or add a simple squared one?

No mouldings:

No mouldings:

Newton Residence · More Info

Square mouldings (although I dislike the cabinets being different heights so it's hard to tell):

CONTEMPORARY CRAFTSMAN | Palo Alto · More Info

Rendering of my kitchen (will be natural quarter sawn oak and white countertops):

Comments (22)

• Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    No mouldings
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

i think it looks fine without, too.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

I like a small squared off molding. Actually what I really dislike about some cupboards (and if yours are Euro style maybe this isn't the case) is that the top is not a flat surface... that is, the sides are an inch or so higher than the middle. So you can't put anything on top (you may never want to) without putting a block under it to raise it up. Also, it's a pain to dust down into the box... whereas with a flat surface you can easily dust.

So, what I had done in my last kitchen is the tops were finished off with a flat board, and a small band of molding hid the edge of this board.

Hope this helps :)

• gadlfy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know you are going for unfussy but the lack of moldings makes it very obvious that you have hung boxes on your wall. I know that is what cabinets essentially are, but its a bit too on the nose in the rendering.

Could you perhaps find a different type of molding that would work? I don' know that any of the solutions presented are thrilling me.

• pkpk23
    5 years ago

Don’t like the square crowns but think a different crown would enhance the cabinet.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I don’t see any point in moldings on those cabinets in fact I think they would look cluttered.

• et phonehome
    5 years ago
    Do the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling? If not, how much space would there be between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling?
  • GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

There is a difference between unfussy and unfinished. The design isn't a classic slab front modern that can get away without moldings. You need crown and light rail both. Simple, small, and square, for both.

• MD4square
    Original Author
    5 years ago

et phonehome there is still a lot of space and it would be $$$ to bring it to the ceiling.

• MD4square
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Llls4 I should have clarified - the original mouldings she had were the standard kind, which flare out. I didn’t like them and specified either a plain one or none at all.

• jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    NO MOULDINGS!!!
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

There is a difference between a cabinet molding and a crown molding. Cabinet moldings come in a lot of shapes but in your case a simple trim made from the same stock would finish off the top of the cabinet without adding any shadow lines as shown in your third picture.

• njay
    5 years ago
    Do you have images for your kitchen both with and without crown? It's hard for me to translate different settings and trim to your space.
  • MD4square
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the rendering with mouldings.

• gadlfy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Okay that looks more finished and tailored to me. I would definitely do some type of molding though I wouldn't necessarily choose this one. Without them it looks like your carpenter left for lunch after hanging the cabinets and never came back to finish the job.

• rainyseason
    5 years ago
    I vote for the simple square edge molding. Visually unobtrusive but adds a finishing touch.
  • Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

I like how they look in the last rendering you posted.

• PRO
    Lampsusa
    5 years ago

You do not need moulding.

• MD4square
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay the cabinet designer sent these back after I requested the square moulding. I am going to stick with these, I like how simple they are:

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

You should ask your designer if that opening is for s standard size or counter depth fridge. Counter depth fridges cost about $1k more and offer a lot less space. By swapping the LS cabs and adding a filler for door opening will allow you to frame out the fridge for a standard one. This allows replacement a lot easier.

• MD4square
    Original Author
    5 years ago

wannabath it is for standard fridge

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company