Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gweisberg

I need an idea for my dining room wall. I

gweisberg
5 years ago
I need something narrow so that there will be enough room to pull chairs out. Dining room is 10x14. I don’t want a console, I already have 3 in different places in my house. I don’t need storage. I was thinking some kind of shelf. Any ideas?

Comments (23)

• della70
    5 years ago

What do you want to do with another accessory? Have you thought of running the table the other way, switching the art to the console and console to the wall where the art is? That might give you more room for the chairs.

• Momof5x
    5 years ago
    I would move the table a little more away from the console table near wall as it seems too close, i would also add a decorative runner on the console table to brighten it up and remove the lamps ( way too tall), and replace that picture frame with a large mirror to reflect the room and give the impression it has more space.

Also consider two other things:
    Adding a rug
    And, repainting the insets of the paneled wall to set it off as feature wall.

Add another plant to other corner to balance the look.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

You already have a sideboard so why do you need anything else? There is no room for anything else.

• What is not working is the size of your art on that lovely wall.

• I would not do a rug.

• Tree should also be taller. Sometimes I boost them up inside the base of the container to get them to the proper height.

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

Didn't you post a few months ago about this? I guess it's not resolved.

• iheartsix
    5 years ago
    Just to be clear - you’re talking about removing the side table that’s already against the wall?
  • PRO
    Suzette Sherman Design
    5 years ago

It is unclear which wall you are mentioning. I can only assume it is the wall opposite the architectural print. What I cannot see is if you were to scope out the full overall look and feel surrounding that dining nook. Right now you have a lot going on at that dining table area but if walls outside that have less well then it would be a different story. As I see it now I would not put shelves on that wall. It would be too much going on and it is tight there as you noted. I would put anther different but in the family framed print about the same size as the architectural print. The juxtaposition of 2 similar sized and types of prints has a great surreal result and is not uncommon in traditional interiors. You have very high ceilings and that print pulls the eye up and using the space to work within the scale of the volume your ceilings create. If you put any shelves there have a shallow box made the exact size of the architectural print with a grid of shelves 4 or 5" deep to match the grid wall but add more grid to break it up. See the fast and dirty sketch below. I am not showing that there is a depth to the box (a shallow depth!) and am showing it on the wrong side for fast results. Some small decorative items to fit the showiness of the wall box. I would have a wood back to it too. Best on your designing!

• PRO
    Suzette Sherman Design
    5 years ago

I am recommending it be custom made because it is clear you have the money to have it made ; - )

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Suzette, just curious how do you know that it's clear the poster has the money to have it made? Do you know them personally or did they post a budget?

• HWALMAY
    5 years ago
    Seems like the chandelier kind of dictates where your table is placed so it appears you don't really have the option to move it out. Would you consider taking the console out altogether? Maybe have sconces installed in that wall for additional lighting. Mirrors would open the space up but maybe your not a mirror person..a large piece of art could work as well maybe in nuetral colors but lighter than the wall color. You could consider downsizing the chairs at the heads of the table to make room. You could also play with the idea of a round table to provide easy access around the table. A round table would also help to soften all the squares in the space. Doesn't seem like you need to add any additional shelves or such. Focus on the details of the beautiful space you have. The ceiling height..the paneled walls...the moldings allow those elements in the room be the star in your space. Best of luck!
  • gweisberg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry everyone, I sent an old photo. I moved the buffet that I had on the grid wall, got new art in the room, but I want a long shelf ( or something) under the painting on the grid wall, just to tie it up. I don’t have much room to get around the chairs, however, I still think I need something on the wall under the painting. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated!
  • leelee
    5 years ago

It doesn't appear that you have room to add any sort of shelf. Can you measure from the edge of the table to the wall under the lake picture. How many inches is it?

• gweisberg
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have 36 inches from the back of the chair to the wall. When I have company at the table, I move the table a few inches farther away from the wall. The house is open concept, so I have plenty of room. I feel it’s missing something. I don’t want a buffet or console table, I just want something light looking to place a couple of candlesticks, a decorative box etc....
  • leelee
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The chairs need about 24 inches of space minimum for ingress and egress when guests are dining. That only leaves 12 inches. That's too close in my opinion. You don't want the dining table to look or feel cramped.

Tall floor lamps in each corner?

These are 56" high. They might replace the lamps you had when the buffet was there.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

install a floating shelf then

• partim
    5 years ago

There is enough going on in that room already. It will look cluttered if you add more.

• Debra Scott
    5 years ago

Your dining room looks beautiful as is. Don't add anything else. Less is more.

• agk2003
    5 years ago

I wouldnt add anything. Looks nice and clean. Maybe a tree in one of the corners but no shelf under the art.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Putting a shelf or anything under the art will ruin the effect of the grid. Not needed and will actually distract. The table is distinctive. The host chairs are distinctive. The art is distinctive so don’t add anything more. I would only consider some taller objects on the table to balance the height of the backs of your host chairs and the heft of the table.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    You don’t have room for anything else unless you use the big chairs elsewhere.
  • Hansen
    5 years ago
    I would replace the picture on the grid wall with a mirror and sconces. No shelf needed. Btw, beautiful room.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Leave this space as is if you already have a problem moving chairs why would you want to add anything that juts out on that wall.If anything I would look for 2 matching chaors and get rid of the oversized ones at the ends of the table. I never like mirrors in a DR where people sit watching themselves eat I like the art you have and the piece on that wall actually makes it feel like you are looking out a window

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Maybe remove the art on the grid wall and let it stand alone. Then, get a larger piece of art on the right hand wall (taller and slightly wider than what you have).

In my opinion, the art on the grid wall is detracting from the overall look, but that's just my personal preference :)