Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

"If you give a reindeer a carrot"

bpath
5 years ago

Finally got my outdoor lights up! Lighted (artificial) garlands around the front door, service door, and garage. Have to add red bows at the corners, for daytime color. On the front door, instead of a wreath, is a stocking with a stuffed bear in it. I may still get a wreath, but I usually like getting them from the hockey team or scouts and I missed the sale this year.

For years, I wanted to add lights in the back yard, too. After all, the dining and living rooms look out that way. But always something happened that I didn't, like 8" of snow. But this year I did it! Prompted by a couple of neighbors down the way with lights on their terraces, I wrapped our arbor leading to a path in the "woodlet" in colored lights, I love it! It's a little intense now that it's dark, so on Monday I will rearrange them, spread them out a little more on the sides of the arbor.

The thing is, at night it's just a lighted arch with a black hole in the middle. Uh-oh, I have a hankering for a lighted deer to put in the middle. (To balance, of course, the live deer who wander through during the day.) White-lighted, of course.

So, grazing deer? Or upright deer? Or am I a victim of "if you give a moose a muffin" syndrome?

Comments (9)

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I think you need at least one grazing and one upright :-)

• bpath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ooh, oly, you're an enabler. I wonder if Costco has them? HD or Lowes will be my next stop.

• bpath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Perfectly charming!

• mayflowers
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Upright, so it looks like it's walking through the arbor.

• dedtired
    5 years ago

I think eight tiny reindeer with lights all over! One of my neighbors has a projection light that shines multi colored pinpoints of light up into a tree. It looks so pretty.I have to find one of those! I always do a garland with white lights on my fence and ribbons on the posts, as well as multi colored lights on the front door. This year I added wreaths with red bows on the upstairs windows. I think I have moose/muffin syndrome, too.

• suero
    5 years ago

One of my neighbors photographed a dozen deer walking through the area, and we're getting record amounts of rain. Rain+deer. Does that count for holiday decor?

• bpath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dedtired, I love lights on a fence! But, one does have to be careful with those pinpoint lights, I hear; apparently they can disturb pilots if they are laser lights.

suero, ya take what ya can get! Rain+deer? Why not!

I redid the lights on the arbor, removing one string and spreading the rest out, much more loosely wrapped (like, by half) and I like the look much better. A deer would be perfect. A Holy Family nativity would be nice, too, but probably too expensive.

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Live deer ruin my garden and infuriate me. I'll be darned if I'm going to indulge in lighted ones, no matter how cute! How about an angel? That's what we have. She is blowing a golden horn. Another option is to light up a bit of your garden, some of the shrubs or just lay a few lights throughout the beds. That's what I do on either side of our lights display over the arches leading to our gardens at work.

Not that there's anything wrong with lighted deer!! I agree they often create a lovely scene (lighted, the real ones ruin my actual light show by trampling on things, such as knocking down my three wise men!) I just can't bring myself to do it!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!