Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith717

Portulacria Afra repotting fo pau perhaps.

Brandon Smith
5 years ago
I purchased this nice group of PA from a big box a few months back. It came in a less than pleasing plastic pot. The growth and leaf numbers were pretty impressive imo and it was on clearance so I said yes. A month or so later I found a much more aesthetically pleasing glazed ceramic pot I forgot about and decided to repot it. I pulled the plant from its original pot, combed the roots well and trimmed them to allow the ball to fit in its new much better looking but slightly smaller vessel. Then the leaf drop began. I was kind of planning for this to happen but I was convinced I had read jades and others plants of this kind actually preferred to be under potted rather than over.

Now two or so months since the deed was done it’s still dropping the original leaves and looks kind of sad/barren. Though the stems are all healthy and flexible and I can see tiny new green buds of leaf growth emerging.

Was I correct in believing these succulents prefer a smaller pot and since there is new growth emerging should I really be concerned with anything at all?

Thank you for your time!

Comments (9)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Brandon

JMO, but I do not believe in underpotting on purpose...that said, I have many underpotted plants, but the reason is rather that I didn't get around repotting them. And, perhaps, because of lack space under the lights - smaller pots take less. They all seem to be ok, but I wonder how would they look if repotted - I suspect, better.

I have Portulacaria afra (it's not crassula as jades are) and I have experienced leaf drop as you describe. It was because my plant was thirsty. As soon as I watered it little more often, it started to grow many new leaves and it looked much better. That was the reason in my case. In 2 mo, your plant should have recovered. What are temps like where you keep the plant? How often do you water it?

• niksouthafrica
    5 years ago

Being underpotted is one thing but having most of its roots removed to do this is quite another. That would subject the plant to severe stress and force it to regrow its roots. Hence the leaf drop and restart of growth. Succulents are tough and can regenerate but that doesn't mean that they really appreciate having their roots tampered with

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback you two. All of the stems are nice and pliable and there’s been no die back at all. Last year when I got it roughly mid summer it was kept outside in full sun and now it’s in a room in my home (roughly kept at 70 degrees) with two windows, one facing north the other east. I think both the transplant and moving it indoor could have contributed to the leaf drop.

Rena, if work stays slow like it has I’ll try to run home and take a snap or two of it. I could use a break anyway!
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

It took me a minute, but just so you know: it's 'faux pas', if you're meaning misstep or mistake.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I know Karen, I like it better the way I spelled it though.
  • Starlight Botanist
    5 years ago

PA is my favorite plant ever. I have struggled to get really good with it over the last 5 years or so.

As Brandon mentions above, often with this plant, its under watering that causes leaf drop. I have to water this plant more than almost any other house plant. I do have it in terracotta. Which does make this worse for me. In the spring, i am going to pot it into a glazed pot.

I have also noticed that not enough light, or cold conditions can cause leaf drop. I have to relocate the plant during the winter to the warmest sunniest spot i can find.

Just know that it can recover from almost nothing. At one point my plant had nothing but 10 leaves I think. It's very resilient so long as it's not rotten, it can recover.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Very nice SB!
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

Hi Starlight,

Pretty impressive plant you've got there! Wish I'd seen your advice earlier as I've failed w/ this plant repeatedly & as a lover of variegates, I especially like the variegated P afra, so handsome! But I'd given up on it after losing one yet again last Fall.