Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly4669

Flameless Candles vs Real, what say you?

Regina Work
5 years ago
Pottery Barn Sells both, any feelings?

Comments (19)

• queenvictorian
    5 years ago

What's the use case?

We use real candles (the white tapers) at our table most nights. Can't beat the quality of light they put off.

In other cases when I want candle-like light but don't want to babysit real candles, I use pretty lamps with low-wattage incandescent bulbs.

I don't ever use fake candles (or "flameless" lol).

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

in the past i'd fill a lantern with a short string of the tiny incandescent lights, kind of in a tangle. they looked like a little cloud of fireflies.

i'm beginning to hate the led decorative lighting more than the led real lighting. i hate the led strings on my tree, and find the faux candles to be equally egregious.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Not a Pro.

I love, love my flame-less candles.

I can put them anywhere and have have company with children with peace of mind.

Regina Work thanked njmomma
  • chloebud
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I agree with using flameless candles in certain spots. The nice ones can get pricey but look pretty IMO. A small one, such as 3x3, can be in the $50 range.

^Yes...real candles for the table.

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

I like real candles on a dining table. Other than that, I pretty much go with flameless. Used those wax candles that melt in a special holder (can't remember the brand)-- various fragrances. It was on the fireplace mantle. Watching t.v. one night and the entire puddle of oil/wax burst into flames, shooting up in the air a foot or so.

Thankfully we were able to smother the flame, and there was nothing particularly flammable around it.

When I burn "real" candles (very seldom because I don't like the chance of oily residue on ceiling and walls) I have them on a non-combustible surface, surrounded by nothing combustible-- maybe a bit over-cautious now!

I've known a few people who have soot trails into their a/c return vents from the residue, and too many "near misses" where a candle was left to burn in the wrong spot, and forgotten when they went out for an errand.

We do like real pine or balsam incense (Paine Products from Maine).

• eileenc
    5 years ago

I bought a Luminara flameless pillar for the faux X-Mas centerpiece on my island last week and I am really pleased with it. Originally bought a real pillar and realized later that it wasn’t a great idea. They’re not inexpensive but you can use the 20% coupon, the 4X7 pillar was $40. It has a timer, it flickers, DH couldn’t believe it at first glance.

• User
    5 years ago

They're some great tapers that I put in the windows for Christmas and on to when daylight savings time starts. They're battery and faux and I like the look of them in the window -- I would NEVER put real candles in the windows. But that's my extent of using faux candles.

• User
    5 years ago

real candles on dining room table; flameless everywhere else. has to do with safety and effects.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Real beeswax candles are the best! They are clean burning and smell wonderful--like honey. And they usually use cotton wicks, which are safe, unlike candles with lead wicks that give off lead in the air as they burn, especially dangerous to children.

Paraffin candles give off toxic carcinogenic fumes when they burn, so I'd choose faux flame candles over paraffin ones.

https://www.care2.com/greenliving/7-candles-that-wont-give-you-cancer-or-make-your-kids-sick.html

Regina Work thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • User
    5 years ago

After my parents had one of their rental homes burnt to the ground by a candle we never use or allow real candles in our home - it isn't worth the risk.

Regina Work thanked User
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

real ones for the table, but have lots of faux flame less for other areas ( the new ones are on a timer/remote) Costco had some as well (in BC/Canada) a few weeks ago- was tempted to buy more LOL as they had the remote.

Regina Work thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

Both. Just please, whether real or faux, unscented where one dines. I love a good scented candle, but there is a time and a place for them.

Regina Work thanked hollybar
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Agree with Janelle for the most part. Firefighter husband says many home fires are caused by candles left burning unattended when someone dozes off or forgets that it is burning, so except for special occasions and extreme care, no real candles. I also am concerned about indoor air pollution and what such things as scented candles and infusers are putting into one's lungs. As someone with allergies, they are my idea of hell.

Regina Work thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Real, but only well protected and when I’m nearby. Ditto on the beeswax.
    Regina Work thanked Anne Duke
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Those nice flameless PB candles are now available with the 'flicker' feature at HomeGoods. A proprietary item like that only lasts for about a year until China floods the market.

Safety is always the most important issue unless the candle is under your direct supervision. I won't deal with the wax mess anymore.

I purchased a fragrance candle the other night & found the smell from the burning wick distracting. Maybe a cheap candle.

• roxanna7
    5 years ago

The specific brand "Luminara" have wicks that move, increasing the "real" effect ten-fold, IMO. Remote makes them perfect. I adore them, but for most faux candles, the term "flickering" is used, and the light bulb is below the surface, hence the flicker is inside rather than at the top. Not nearly as lovely as the Luminara ones, which ARE expensive, but worth it to me. I have grown my collection of them over several years -- DH knows I'd rather have more of them than other gifts, lol.

Regina Work thanked roxanna7
  • Regina Work
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone! I love each and everyone of you for commenting on my thread. I agree with all of you too. Consensus is real on dining tables, no scented on the dining table and beeswax if you want to be environmentally and healthy and clean. As for flameless, there are the hardcore devotee's to Luminara, and don't forget to check HomeGoods for PB lookalikes. To those who won't burn candles due to risk of fire, you've made your case and it's a good one. I am not entirely comfortable with burning a ton of candles in my home, so it'll be for my xmas party and after that no more burning unless I'm at my dinner table eating dinner and then it's blown out after the last bite. I did take my Pottery Barn candles back. But will now reconsider their use in my home!!!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    I woke up one morning and went into the living room and realized I left a candle burning all night!! No alcohol involved. I have flameless on timers - it’s such a treat to walk into a room and a candle is “lit.” Plus, if you go away, it looks like you are home when the frameless candles automatically turn on.
    Regina Work thanked ShadyWillowFarm