0

Need curtain suggestions for family room

Lakshmi n

Hey everyone.

I have a small family room with black recliners that I cannot replace. I want to buy curtains and a new coffee table to soften the look of this space. The family room opens to a kitchen and I don't think the black recliner goes well with our kitchen, but I'm open to any suggestions to help it blend better. The TV will be opposite to the patio door, so I need to eliminate glare from this. I am confused about which colors will look good for the curtains. Any help is appreciated!

Also, both recliners will be placed on the carpet, and not like it's shown here. There's some maintenance work going on at home, and I had to move my furniture around.

• groveraxle

There is way too much black in the room. Since you need curtains to cut glare for the TV, I would suggest blackout curtains very close to the color of your wall.

But I would also suggest replacing the rug with something larger and with less (or no) black, pulling the loveseat up onto the rug, and perhaps a light colored round ottoman instead of a coffee table.

Lakshmi n thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle

Reread your original post. If these are recliners, a coffee table is just in the way. How about some C-tables instead?

Modern Accent Tables | west elm · More Info

Lakshmi n thanked groveraxle
  • Lakshmi n

Hi Groveraxle,

Thanks for the ideas. I will look for gray curtains to start with!:)

I wanted to eliminate the coffee table too. If I can find a small table that doesn't get in the way, I might go for that. I loved the accent table you added here. It's very sleek.

• groveraxle

You also seem to be missing art and accessories, so I got you some. When you get your curtains, hang them from near the ceiling to floor, and make sure you have at least 2 1/2 times the width of the window so they don't look flat when you have them closed.

Here are some looks for you:

Some color and/or texture in your rug wouldn't hurt.

• Lakshmi n

Wow. These are VERY helpful! :). I like the idea of adding a little bit of blue in this room. I'm definitely taking your suggestion and will look out for a large white/beige/light-gray carpet.

I was planning to add art and accessories after deciding on a color for the curtains! Your images are perfect. Do you mind telling me what app you used to create them? Thanks again!! :):)

• groveraxle

Lakshmi, I use Photoshop.

Lakshmi n thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle

Look at those C-tables. They're really convenient and easy to move around. Even Target has them. https://www.target.com/s?sortBy=relevance&Nao=0&category=5xtnr&searchTerm=c+table

Lakshmi n thanked groveraxle
    Nandina Home & Design

Here are some ideas for you to help incorporate other colors beside black:

Art Collector's Home · More Info

Modern Luxury Home · More Info

Modern Luxury Home · More Info

• lulu bella

Oh my goodness- I have never heard of or seen C tables. I am really intrigued. Also the photo shop ideas and help by grover and Nardeen is AMAZING.

• havingfun

End & Side Tables | Joss & Main · More Info

1DRW XLEG NAVY ACCENT TBL - At Home | At Home · More Info

Auxerre End Table | Wayfair · More Info

Elena Medallion Blackout Rod Pocket Single Curtain Panel & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info

some other choices

Lakshmi n thanked havingfun
  • Lakshmi n

Thanks for all your suggestions. This is a really helpful community! :)

I have decided to buy a c-table, and I am looking for silver or gray curtains and similar accessories as shown by havingfun and Nadina. Will update here when I am done!:)

• havingfun

Amazon.com: Furinno FTD0412GC Kaca U-Shaped Glass Laptop Desk, Clear: Kitchen & · More Info

Buy Clear Side Table from Bed Bath & Beyond · More Info

Karine Grommet Panels (Set of 2) by Duck River at Gilt · More Info

Floral Grommet Curtain Panel | Joss & Main · More Info

Curtains & Drapes | Birch Lane · More Info

PAROX STUDIO

What is your wall color? I see lots of yellow and orange specially in your kitchen. Are you planning to change anything in your kitchen? I think you need to balance both kitchen and living room.

Lakshmi n thanked PAROX STUDIO
  • Lakshmi n

Wall color is Sherwin Williams: Colonnade gray. I do not plan on changing anything in the kitchen in the near future. I can't figure out what colors would balance out both the rooms. I now have a blue-gray rug in the room and some blue art, and I tried gray, beige and some shades and combinations of gray blue curtains, but unfortunately, I didn't like any of them and I'm still searching for some good blackout curtains to complete the look.

• partim

You can purchase blackout liners that will go behind any curtain, so don't be constrained by that.

Lakshmi n thanked partim
    PAROX STUDIO

I think in your kitchen you need more contrast and color. Easiest way is to change your hardware to black (or color it black). You have warm colors in your kitchen and cool colors in you living room. You can use the warm colors like red or you can use cool color like blue or purple. It depends which color you like the most. For example you can use blue for shades in your kitchen and some kitchen decoration (as long as you have the same color in you in your living room) then add something orange, red, or Gold (warm-similar to your cabinet's color) as an accent to your living room. So you need more warm color in your living room and more cool colors or contrast colors in your kitchen. I hope it helps.

• Hansen
    Groveraxle you never cease to amaze me. Your first pic is perfect.