Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valerie_iosue

Kitchen cabinets: to stagger height or not?

Valerie Iosue
5 years ago
Needing to make 1 final decision on my kitchen! These renderings do not show that this kitchen has a sloped ceiling - 8 feet (at the sink wall) sloping up to maybe about 13 ft (just guessing) on the fridge wall.
The fridge wall is the highest height in the room. Should I stagger the cabinet above the fridge to be 6 inches higher? Or keep it level with everything else since no other cabinet is being staggered? Although, the stainless steel range hood will go all the way up to touch the ceiling at about 9.5 feet (also not shown).
The fridge wall already has different depths and visual interest with the pantry, fridge bumping out, microwave cabinet 21” out and then the cabinet next to it. Raising the fridge cabinet might be too much going on over there?
Thoughts? Of course I must decide by morning. Nothin’ like last minute pressure. Thanks in advance. (P.s. please no comments on anything else in the layout, I can’t mix myself up for ordering in the morning hahaha ;))

Comments (20)

• Valerie Iosue
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    For a visual... here’s a similar slope with placement of the stainless steel range hood to ceiling.
  • Valerie Iosue
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s a bad photo of the space (construction mess, but maybe it could help)
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

I don't think I would stagger but I think I would add more molding across the top.

• PRO
    Floornerd
    5 years ago
    If you want the cabinet above the refrigerator to be that size as in drawing then stager it higher but only with that type of crown molding... imo.
  • Lori Monkaba Armbruster
    5 years ago
    I think it would look great staggered on that tall wall!
  • Valerie Iosue
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That’s a good idea to just use extra trim, which would allow the cabinet above the fridge and microwave to remain the same size. Is that a pretty standard practice to just add extra trim? I can’t envision it. Any example photos?
    My other question... I forgot to ask the cabinet designer. On the staggered photo, it looks like the cabinet is pulled forward. Does this mean there’s a skin panel on both sides, and on the right side by the microwave cabinet there will be a panel that sticks out past the countertop? I am confused and trying to visual and also figuring out what questions to ask in the morning so I fully understand how that would look pulling the cabinet forward. Or should it just remain the same depth as the pantry cabinet?
    I did not purchase counter depth fridge due to family and storage needs, and budget.
    Thank you!
  • Hansen
    5 years ago
    Both will look great. Its a personal choice. I like staggered, more interesting.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

No. Just go to the ceiling. It's a dust collector and nothing more. Worry instead on base cabinets. You have more door base cabs than may be necessary. Wherever possible, a drawer base is a better look, and more convenient storage than a pullout behind a door. Take a look at all of them except your sink base and perhaps a tray cabinet., Right of fridge, and left of range, are two I would change to drawer base.. A better look as well.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Jan, the OP stated that the ceiling slopes up to 13' on the fridge wall, it's just not shown in the renderings. 13' seems a bit too high to go all the way to the ceiling in this case.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Still same height all across for me : ) Still the drawer thing for me too.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Same height all across and why did you not either get a counter depth fridge or make that wall od cabinets deeper to have the fridge flush. Also all the base cabinets really need to be drawers .

• Valerie Iosue
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks everyone!
    @JanMoyer... I debated the drawers for very long and even had a different post about it that you commented on and shared a photo, I believe. You’ve been so helpful along my kitchen journey. :) I took inventory of my kitchen items, and measured the drawer depths at the showroom. I was between 2 drawers & 3 drawers. The reason I went with the regular base cabinets below the microwave was because I wanted an upper drawer there for things like pens, stamps, etc (the typical kitchen “junk drawer”/necessities”.) However, the bank of 3 drawers that had a top drawer was not deep enough for even some of my simple Tupperware bowls stacked, so it didn’t seem like a great option for my needs. Instead I went with a pull out in the cabinet. I felt that it would allow me to use it for things like my ginormous mixing bowls, and larger items that wouldn’t fit in the drawers. And down the road as my kitchen inventory of larger items may increase, it just gives me greater flexibility on my storage needs and not being tied to a drawer size. Lots and lots of hours spent on figuring out exactly where everything will go in this kitchen. It’s been hard because we don’t live in this home yet, and my current kitchen is small so I’ve never bought many things for the kitchen (and I was younger when I purchased my current home, so it was never important). Anyhow, thank you again!
  • Valerie Iosue
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Patricia Colwell- I didn’t go with a counter depth fridge because I have a growing family and the storage space was more important to me. We couldn’t bump the wall back because there is a brick fireplace behind. And I didn’t want to build it out bc it would cut into my clearance and walkway space to the other side of the home. So it is what it is. I debated for many hours and I didn’t want to get stuck on a few measly inches of seeing the fridge. This isn’t a million dollar custom build home, it’s a renovation of a 1950s ranch, so we had to work with the space we had. I think it will be fine and still look beautiful. You wouldn’t believe this kitchen layout actually took 1 year until I was happy with it. I worked with and multiple kitchen designers/cabinet companies & interior designers. Lots and lots of thought went into this and there is likely a reason for everything in the layout. :)
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Okay, I hear the storage issue. I would change the tall pantry , left of fridge. That, for me would be a doored/ UPPER depth of 18 inches. to the counter height, and two nice DEEP drawers below the counter. : ) top

I'll be beaten senseless for this, but you are a SIMPLE. short step/ turn away from microwave, to set down space left of range. I'd build in that microwave at counter height, and fill the lower with two DEEP drawers. I hear you on the bowls etc..........most have more of that plastic stuff than they need.

Your entire fridge wall would look more seamless

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

In other words...............MORE storage. Versus the clutter corner at the micro, and better pantry storage too. Junk drawers are WAY overrated. Just consider the name : ) of that drawer..

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    I know you just wanted comments on staggering the height and got more thoughts. I’ll jump in on two things. with a sloped ceiling, I’d keep the cabinet height consistent to emphasize that feature n your house.
    As for doors vs drawers, I replaced all the lower cabinet doors in my kitchen - which was refaced, not replaced. I did not do all the drawers the same depth so I could fit in all my Tupperware and large pots. Those changes were so worth it.
    These drawers are ALL deep, less deep on the other side for saucepans, and more deep ones for pots.
    If you decide on drawers, they don’t have to all be one depth.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I have altered your drawing and added pot drawers to your base cabinets. You need the ledge below the microwave so I left it. Also a good Coffee Bar location.

Here's what's tricky........I have added depth to your pantry so it covers the side of the fridge. If you have not purchased see if you can select a fridge that is NOT counter depth but not as deep as shown. You want that covered with space to fully open the doors of the fridge. You have a panel on one side to cover the side and use the pantry on the other. Keep the face of the fridge cabinet flush with the pantry.

See how the panel extend out beyond the 24"

• shead
    5 years ago

I love Jan's idea! I'm not sure if you have younger kids or not but I don't really like having a microwave elevated so counter height is perfect for us. I actually had an elevated microwave cabinet in my last house with a door that swung out and up (not cheap!). I ended up moving the microwave to the counter below it because my kids couldn't reach the microwave without jumping on top of my counters! I needed them to be self-sufficient and didn't want to risk my granite cracking by them jumping up and down off the counters...lol. I also think elevated poses a safety risk as you get older as well.

• User
    5 years ago

Why would you stagger? It looks great all at the same level. When we did our kitchen it WAS tempting to throw in a bunch of extra details and colors because the design process is fun. But simple often works best.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH