Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_39177052745

Help with Trim Paint Color

Jora
5 years ago

Kitchen and adjoining family room are painted in B.M. Cloud White/Semi Gloss and Satin

Suggestion on paint color for Trim in both rooms please.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• Jora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for taking time to respond Irene. I had read the same, but my concern was that since the walls in the kitchen are Semi Gloss, I may not be able to do the same with the baseboards. Thank you again.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

What sheen of paint WERE you intending to use for your baseboards? You're right, the change of sheen trick works best when the walls are eggshell or matte, and the trim somewhat shinier. Mostly because glossier paints are less and less forgiving of imperfections as sheen increases.

There is a good post on white on white here.

Jora thanked Holly Stockley
  • Jora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Holly, I'm open to any sheen and color. Just note that I'm one of those people that likes everything to look clean and crips, and a stickler about dirt and etc.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Same color white on trim, walls, and ceiling. Use any combination of sheens you want. Don't make yourself crazy.

In Irene's photo that shows 2 different whites can you see any difference? I can't, it's not worth the effort.

Jora thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Well, _I_ can, but I'm one of "those people." :-)

Though I do think that if it were MY house and I were already committed to semigloss in the Cloud White, I'd do the trim in Cloud White in semigloss. It will look the same color in the kitchen and might read as slightly "whiter" in other areas, but you'll be using the same trim color throughout the house, which usually reads better.

Jora thanked Holly Stockley
  • lindahambleton
    5 years ago

I agree with Holly. Just use the semi gloss in the kitchen also. Let the backsplash, cabinet, and countertops be the stars. Then use the semi gloss for the rest of the house.

Jora thanked lindahambleton
  • Jora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Diana - Although I agree about not driving myself crazy, I'm very much like Holly...I really do notice everything.

Holly - I hate to admit that I'm part of the same club (and notice everything). Kind of sad really, because the only thing I accomplish is drive myself crazy! :)

Holly & Linda - I wasn't sure if I should go one shade whiter than the Cloud White or not, but I may just do as you ladies suggested (sounds great). One down side (that I prob. should have mentioned in the OP), our doors and shutters all were painted to match the SW Swiss coffee years ago...that's the kicker of the whole thing!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

trim work (baseboards, casing, etc) should be done in the semi gloss or gloss. use the Cloud White or go a shade brighter, like Simply White.

Jora thanked Beth H. :
  • Jora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I always love it when I see your name Beth! :). I was considering Simply White, but wasn't sure.

Thank you all!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio