Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhian_evans56

Architect or designer

Rhian Evans
5 years ago

Hi,

Can someone please advise what the benefits of getting an architect are (sorry if this is a stupid question). We have had a meeting with a builder and he said we don't need one but will need a structural engineer. I am thinking of getting a designer to present some ideas instead of an architect- or should I go for the architect? I feel a designer would be more detailed. I'm definitely going for one to help me with the layout. I am having a single story rear extension to create an open plan kitchen living room. Thanks

Comments (6)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Hi

If I understand you will be having new extension , it is non existing now?

If yes, I will suggest to get in touch with architect unless your builder co-op with one. Builder job is to follow architect plans , otherwise you could find out a lot of things not exactly correct with regulations. This is about extension. In case of planning the kitchen speak with designer and make plans as soon as possible so any kind of alterations to the extension can be done at early stages. Ideally share details of the designer to architect and architect to the designer.

Good luck with your project

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

A concept planner and a structural engineer would almost certainly be the cheaper option. If you had an Architect he would still need to get the engineers calculations, but would I believe do this as part of their fee. If you are submitting plans, just check that your concept planner can drawer these up for you as they are what you need to submit to the planning department, or you could end up paying a third person.

Ask Karen at OnePlan ( Concept Planner ) what she can do, she's an invaluable source of info and I know that she replied to one of your other posts...................She'll definitely steer you in the right direction.

• PRO
    Garden Design Guru
    5 years ago

There are different types of Architects and different types of Designers. I would talk to a few people and get their rates along with idea of how they work. Some will see their job in a very practical way, at the other end of the scale sometimes Designers can be all about the look without due consideration for the way you will be living the space.

An Architect might well have ideas about how to arrange the main structure and windows, doors etc. more usefully than the current plan. That's not to say that a Designer wouldn't also look at that but most of them, I suspect, would just work with the proposal you have for the building. Small changes might make a big difference though.

Anyone will be happy to talk on the phone. Some will charge for a consultation and others won't, some might decide about that whilst you are telling them about the project!! If the consultation fee isn't huge it might be worth talking to one or two 'onsite'.

Fees can vary a huge amount, as can the experience, knowledge and qualifications of the person you are dealing with. We tend to expect these things to be on proportion to each other but very often they are not at all. I recall speaking to a winner of 'Best in Show' at the Chelsea Flower Show who said that after winning he found that one client had gone to someone else, believing that he would be too expensive and actually paid more than he would have charged. That was for a garden design of course but the two scenarios are becoming increasingly similar.

It is worth asking about insurance. A professional should carry Professional Indemnity Insurance. Everyone tends to assume that all professionals do. Unfortunately this is not the case. It pleases me when clients ask about this.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    5 years ago

Hi Rhian,

Yes a designer would be more detailed... and we stay with you longer. I personally see my projects from the start right through until competition. Being on hand is invaluable to my clients as the whole process can be somewhat over-whelming at times and often presents questions along the way.

It really depends what you need and what you 'want' from your professional. An architect can offer the same service but is generally rather more expensive. The engineer you would need anyway and depending on the work required a 'architects technician' can also be a cheaper option for you.

I would take a look at a few (concept or interior designers), there are a number of packages that may suit you and everyone does things differently.

Here are a few previous posts you may find useful as they are around the same topic. These the ones I know of but I am sure there would be more in the advice section search.

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/when-do-i-involve-an-architect-dsvw-vd~4604072 

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/interior-designers-and-budgets-dsvw-vd~4735821 

Someone mentioned OnePlan too (concept planner) so here is a lovely post some of her clients wrote a while ago.

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/using-one-plan-dsvw-vd~5221471 - found it whilst I was searching.

I hope some of this helps, I know it can be quite a minefield.

All the best, Gina

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Rhian,
    You may find that although your extension seems simple, there may be “right to light /boundary/overall size/ glass to wall %” and other elements such as drainage issues that are best covered by an Architect or Technician and Structural Engineer for the build element of your project. This will also give the builders a working drawing to follow.

You will also need to establish wether the Principal Contractor ( builder) or Principal Designer (architect) will be taking responsibility for CDM on site too. Ultimately YOU are responsible for everything - so get as much info and professional advice on board as you can, to make sure everything is going along as it should.

The concept plans we create can work in harmony with build projects and can be brought in either as a start point for a Feasibility Study or as a continuation of the overall design using the footprint drawn up by the Architect.
    We are happy to work either way.

(We have reviews and some past projects on our pro page, if you’d like to see them - just click on our icon or name to get there ! )

Thanks for the mention MATH! #blushingnow !

Nice to see you back on the threads again Gina!