Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theycallmedave

Anyone Wanna trade cuttings Canada?

TheyCallMeDave
5 years ago

Got into fig growing last year. Only have 1 variety to trade.

It grows fast, very productive and tasty figs.

I'm not sure what Fig I have but if I were to guess, I'd say it's a Hardy Chicago... Mt Etna type.

I'm looking for a beautiful Blue fig.... or Strawberry Verte Fig... Open to trade for others as well.

Comments (25)

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's another picture.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Dave, I would be happy to send you some cuttings for postage.

Where in Canada are you ?

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hey Blue, I'm in the Toronto area. That sounds fair to me.

If shipping isn't expensive, I can send you a cutting from my tree as an extra Thank You.... I don't know what to do with soo many anyways haha. I'm going to make a few extra plants to experiment with growing in ground and to gift a few people.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

What is that beautiful blue fig you are looking for ?

I don't have Strawberry Verte.

I will send you what I have.

Send me your address Dave.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your kind offer Blue. Don't send too many, I only need a couple to keep me entertained haha. If you send me your e-mail I can send you $5 or $10 for shipping and your time.

Jack, I only have the 1 fig tree. If I ever come across them I'll let you know but I haven't even heard of Takoma Violet or San Miro Piro.

I understand where you're coming with "fake" trees. The same happened to me, I asked for 1 fig plant and got another.... Luckily for me, it ended out working well cause I didn't have this tree before and it's very good in my opinion.

My "mt etna" type fig can ripen as early as last week of August, maybe Mid-August if I do the fig shuffle and it's a good summer. Most of them ripen in Early September through October. I'd say I got 20-30 ripe figs off my tree grown in a container if I remember correctly.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Hey Jack wo,

How is it going are you rooting any fig cuttings ?

• Jack wo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Dave:

I find that Ritchie's herb at Toronto sell "verte" for $C8.95, It is US company, their vareities are highly likely real.

Hi Bluemoon, I do not planing on rooting any cuttings this year, I just order 2 small fig trees from Rithie's Herb, It takes couple years to trial each fig tree, I have 15+ vareities and they are getting big in pots, I find a nice walking trail beside Fraser river side with rich soils, I will plan them down there, I will check back after few years.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great find Jack, I'm going to check them out when I have some time.... They're about 2 hours away from me. I'm surprised you found them... I've goggled "buy fig cuttings Ontario" and other similar keywords multiple times within the last year and it never came up. I did find 2 other sources... Anyways, thanks for the great find Jack.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

SorryDave I am unable to type my email in here ❗

Try to send me yours.

• kate
    5 years ago
    Jack Wo I would like some fig clippings but I don't have any trade. can I please purchase some from you? I'm in new brunswick
    thank you
    kate
  • kate
    5 years ago
    Jack Wo I am at kate-nb@hotmail.com
  • bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

For TheyCallMeDave

Hi Dave, congratulations to me !

I popped this cutting 9 days ago, look at the roots

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

WOW! Congratulation!. I'm very happy for you. The next step is to keep it alive. I honestly think you should let it grow on its own roots and make it a unique tree.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just a FYI... I had the mother plant outside.... I'd say it's cold hardy -15C minimum.

You rooted a cutting from a branch that was outside -15C

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Really ! Wow I was reading about Hardy Chicago being hardy, but that apical but will not freeze in - 15°C and after it roots in 9 days wohaw, Thanks Dave.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Ups we domt know if it is Hardy Chicago

right ?

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Dave it's a little coconfusin to me, I didn't realize that your fig tree is out side in such deep freeze, it's not planted in ground is it ?

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I grow my fig in a pot.... When I brought it it, it felt like the potting mix was hard/frozen... couldn't get my finger through....

Anywho, I guess I won't know 100% for sure until March/April... but the cuttings that I took are alive, so I assume the whole pant is alive.

How are the cuttings I sent you doing? I planted a cutting the day I sent you some and it has leafed out... so i'd assume yours should be close to rooting.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To tell you the truth, if it gets colder than -15C I bring my fig plant inside (we've already had several days of -20C in 2019) so I currently have it in my basement where it's cool and dark...

• Andrew Z
    5 years ago

Hi Jack Wo,

I am a new fig grower in Surrey BC. I'd like to meet local grower for local varieties. I have dessert king and improved celeste to exchange. if you are not interested. I can buy cuttings/trees from you. don't know how to message you here. my email address standalonus@hotmail.com.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Hey you guys I want to visit too !

I am local in

• Onell Jones
    5 years ago

I would love cuttings if anyone have any, please.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Onell, I don't have anymore, sorry...

BluueMoonLight, The Negronne is thriving. The Italian honey and Hardy Chicago rooted but haven't done anything else... the others haven't done anything. I still have the extras saved in the fridge to try rooting in the Summer in case these are dead. Negronne cutting is growing much slower than my unknown... Which might actually be a Bifara fig but the Seller isn't sure.

Cheers.

• bluemoonlight
    5 years ago

Onell, where are you located ?

Dave, it's nice of you to share the progress of rooting, I In not very luluckyith my rooting eieither, but some are doing very well.

I still have Hardy Chicago and Italian Honey in case.

Cheers.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH