0

Lost Tag on this plant.....

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)

Aloe species? This is the first time it has seed pods......would like to know the name to see how to germinate seeds. Thanks, Jeannie :)

P.S. Sorry pictures aren't that great.....old phone!

• Stefan

Dyckia/hechtia species...

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked Stefan
  • Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)

It's a succulent....just not sure of the type.

• rina_Ontario,Canada

Jeannie

Stefan gave you ID...

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked rina_Ontario,Canada
  • Stefan

Yes, a desert terestrial bromeliad. It is a xerophytic plant, but not a proper succulent.

A succulent ranges everything from the iconic saguaro, to several species of succulent orchids in australia, to various alpine rosettes.

To be succulent, it has to have specific mutations. A swollen stem, swollen leaves, swollen root, special photosynthesis.

Eg, pereskia, a cactus, lacks these in a lot of species.

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked Stefan
  • Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)

Thanks for the info!

So this plant is soft to touch even with all the points on the leaves....they do not poke or hurt at all. I have several Bromeliads and a Dyckia type plant and the ones with points/spines poke (sometimes drawing blood) and then leaves bumbs on the skin by the next day.

I purchased this plant off ebay a few years back and have kept all my invoices, so when I have some time, I will go through all them and see what it was purchased as. Thanks again, Jeannie :)

• Stefan

This thing has soft spikes:http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/BROMELIADS/Family/Bromeliaceae/19012/Hechtia_podantha..

Dont take it as a general rule. Aloe vera and arborescens have soft spikes, but aloe ferox and broomi have not.

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked Stefan
  • Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)

It was purchased as Curly Aloe "Hedgehog"......If that is really what it is. I had to go back through all my invoices from 2014 and I finally found it.

Stefan, Thanks for the info. I have loads of succulents (with spikes/spines) and many types of Bromeliads (with spikes/spines). Most of the ones that have the bad spikes/spines.....are Bromeliads. I have some Bromeliads with smooth leaves too. Who Knows!

Happy Gardening, Jeannie :)

• Embothrium

The structure and appearance of the flowers and fruits would point to which type it was. There are many kinds of plants that have foliage like other, unrelated kinds but distinctive flowers and fruits.

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked Embothrium
  • Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)

Embothrium, thanks for that info. When it did bloom, it was on a long stem and aloe looking blooms. It stays in my greenhouse, so I'm hoping to get pictures of the blooms next time around.

Happy Gardening, Jeannie :)

• Embothrium

Meanwhile the fruits of the genera that have been mentioned here could be quite different from one another, try looking those up and seeing which one or more produces the same fruits as your plant. You can cut one open to see internal structure.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Jeannie,

Lomatophyllum (some people consider it a type of Aloe) it could be - those in the pic are identical to its seed capsules. Could we get a better picture?

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)

Cactusmcharris,

I think that may be it. I found this place and it looks very much like my plant.

Looks like the plant

I will take some pictures in the next few day.

Happy Gardening, Jeannie :)

• Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)

Here's a few more pictures....sorry I have an older phone, so this was the best I could do.

I found 4 more seed pods on it.....so here's a picture of them. The seeds look sort of 3D triangular shaped. Sorry it's blurry...it's the best of them pics I took.

Happy Gardening, Jeannie :)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Yup - Aloe prostrata / Lomatophyllum prostratum.

• Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)

Thanks! Hopefully I can get the seeds to germinate.

Happy Gardening, Jeannie :)