0

FOTESS Jan. 2019 “Snowed in Day” Swap

ruthz

FOTESS Jan. 2019 “Snowed in Day” Swap

FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. You must be a member of the group in order to participate in this swap. If you would like to find out more about joining the group, contact sandlapper_rose/ Jeanne.

Winter is here! And according to the Farmers’ Almanac’s famous long-range weather outlook, it’s going to be a “teeth-chattering” cold one, with plenty of snow.

The Farmers’ Almanac, which bases its amazingly-accurate long-range forecast on a mathematical and astronomical formula developed in 1818, is also predicting above-normal precipitation (lots of snow!) , with the majority of it falling in January and February.

For those who sign up in January, you will send your partner something for a Snowed in Day.

It's not likely to snow much in the Southern states so we’ll include any extreme weather days, cold, stormy or rainy.

A good book, a hot beverage (enough for 1 or 2 servings) and a package of seeds for winter sowing.

That’s it. Let’s keep this simple and inexpensive.

Recyling and upcycling are totally fine and encouraged.

A book you’ve read and enjoyed would be perfect.

Sign up by Jan. 6th, partners the 7th. Mail by Jan. 24th.

Please post when you mail and when you receive.

We’ll have a best snow picture contest. A winter scene picture taken between January 1st and 24th.

Enter your best snow or wintery weather related picture by the 24th.

Message me your votes by the 26th. I’ll post the winner on the 27th.

Wishing a Happy and Healthy New Year to All

• Melinda Hagen

I sent Urooj her package today! No need to put in guess for quirky holidays today as Shirley put the one I would have listed! Good luck! We had some slush on cars and rooftops, but nothing else. Just cold, ugly, gray days! Hope everyone enjoys them though!

• nottougly

I mailed Beth's package today.

• Melinda Hagen

I received great package from Shirley! She sent me 2 fish clothes and a towel that as "Take YourThyme". Also package of thyme seeds, which I wanted!!! Also 2 packs green tea and a book that will be quick and easy to read! Thank you Shirley!!

• beth_b_kodiak

I woke up to about a half inch of snow today. A total surprise and not enough for good photos. Still very grey so I'm hopeful there man be more. Went shopping and for lunch with my daughters today. What fun!!!

I know Margo is away but I think I will mail her package tomorrow. Going to the Sr Center tomorrow for lunch and a "Special Day" contest. Not saying what,our special day is but should be fun.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

01/14 is National Clean Off Your Desk Day. They really have to be more specific with me. I have a work desk and a craft desk plus a work closet that needs serious help! Heidi

• Beth Brownberry

Heidi, so glad there is no penalty for not participating in that one, LOL

• smitties

Beth, youll be ok mailing. We will be home Thursday. Lots of snow fell while we were gone but no chance to get pics. I'll see if there is anything left when I get home.

I dont know if any of our members live near Phoenix but they have an awesome place called Desert Botanical gardens. Our kids took us there tonight for a light display they do. I can't even describe it But it was amazing. If anyone is ever in the area, go to it. It runs til may. Well worth the money.

• beth_b_kodiak

Thanks Margo.....love the desert botanical gardens. Went with daughter about 5 years ago. Love the lights and the butterfly garden

• Melinda Hagen

Today is National Hat Day! It is cold so need one out there! Hope everyone is having a great day!

• brittneysgran

Today is National Strawberry Ice Cream Day. It is cold here as well. Have a hike planned Friday though its supposed to be 58. That will be great hiking weather.

• beth_b_kodiak

Celebrating Hat Day at the Senior Center a fun day for all,And yes Melinda cold enough to need a hat. Sounds like this next weekend we may get some serious snow too. We shall see.

• brittneysgran

Beth I like the Hat Day. Thanks for sharing.

Today is National Religious Freedom Day.

Off to play pickle ball.

• ruthz

Good Morning.

Sorry I was MIA yesterday. I didn't feel well and spent most of the day sleeping.

Monday was National Dress Up your pet day - Shirley 1 point

Tuesday was National Hat Day - Melinda - 1 point

Beth, cute picture. Thanks for posting that. Was it a best hat contest?

Bingo words today

Powder

Slush

• ruthz

Updated Snow Day partners

Please mail by the 24th

Jeanne sends to Faye - sent

Faye sends to Beth - sent

Beth sends to Margo - sent and received

Margo sends to Ruth - sent and received

Ruth sends to Jayeanne - sent and received

Jayeanne sends to Shirley

Shirley sends to Melinda - sent and received

Melinda sends to Urooj - sent and received

Urooj sends to Jeanne - sent

Please let me know if I missed one.

• beth_b_kodiak

Ruth , hope you keep feeling better.

I mailed the package to Margo yesterday so it should be there soon after she gets home.

Hat day was fun but prizes were done by drawing. I would have voted for the volunteer with the huge Cowboy hat and silver trim boots. Most of the guys just wore baseball or railroad hats so his was extra special. Still waiting for snow here, and waiting and waiting.......

ruthz thanked beth_b_kodiak
  • jdmom78_8a

ruth, hope you feel better soon.

beth, cute hat, did you make that?? i'm working on fleece blankets for the local animal shelter these days but haven't gotten around to them. all i have to do is stitch the edges.

Today is national fig newton day!

last but not least, I got my package!!! wooohoooo. thank you so much melinda! the kids had a blast helping me open it and they've already decided which drinks are theirs! what a cute package. good news, i just finished reading my book... the runaway jury, so i can start this one TODAY!

mine is almost ready to go out to you jeanne... almost!

• pinkiris

Ruth ... Hope you get to feeling better soon! and thank you ever so much for the wonderful 'Snowed in day' package ... I am really looking forward to reading the book you sent ... love love love the variety of teas you sent and love the pepper seeds as well! Ive already started tomato seeds and noticed today they are up and sprouting ... next will be planting peppers, perfect timing! thank you Ruth!

Shirley ... I hope to mail your package tomorrow, if not tomorrow for sure on Friday.

• brittneysgran

Today is National Bootleggers Day

• Melinda Hagen

Today is also Ditch New Year Resolution Day! Glad you liked your pavkage, Urooj! Hope everyone is having a great day!

• ruthz

Good morning.

Hope your all having a good day.

No National day for yesterday.

Great guesses. Margo, I also wonder who comes up with some of this stuff. national rubber ducky day! national fig newton day! ?????

I walked around the yard this morning getting pictures of stuff trying to bloom. We're expecting freezing temps this weekend and maybe a few flurries according to Pete Delkus, our local weatherman.

Bingo words

Snowstorm

Thaw

Joseph's Coat

Louis Phillipe

Felicia

Nastarana aka Persian Musk Rose

Francis Dubreuil

white lantana

Camellia sasanqua 'Kanjiro', just about finished now and didn't do as good this year as some years

• beth_b_kodiak

Ruth, how nice to have roses in January

ruthz thanked beth_b_kodiak
  • ruthz

I like this so thought I'd share

• beth_b_kodiak

love it, that would be me too

• brittneysgran

Ruth your roses are beautiful.

Today is National Winnie the Pooh Day.

Off for a hike to Rainbow Falls

• smitties

Arrived home to my package from Beth. It's great but I'll post a little later. Kind of goes along with Ruth's picture. Margo

• ruthz

Hello Friday

Thanks for roses comments. They aren't great but I'm surprised to have so many blooming in January.

Great packages being sent.

Shirley, A hike to Rainbow Falls sounds awesome.

Yesterday was Ditch New Years Resolutions Day! - Melinda 1 point

Bingo words

Blizzard

Hailstone

• Melinda Hagen

Today is also National Thesaurus day!

• smitties

Here's my snow package from Beth. She sent two of her favorite books, 2 keurig hot chocolates, (one is gone as thd house was cold when we got back home. Lol ), 2 teabags of chamomile tea, two regular hot chocolate pouches, and seeds. Kale. Lettuce, and butterfly weed. Thanks for the great items Beth. May have some dicey weather this weekend to get started on those books.

• jdmom78_8a

jeanne i mailed your package yesterday. im glad i did because im sick today and will probably be in bed all weekend.

• sandlapper_rose

I'll watch for the package, Urooj. So sorry you are getting sick. I hope you feel better soon.

Faye, I should be able to mail your package tomorrow morning. I hope it won't be slowed down too much by the holiday on Monday.

Jeanne

• brittneysgran

Found my favorite waterfall in Western NC.

Rainbow Falls

• beth_b_kodiak

Not snowed in but really cold

Juncos and cardinals looking for handouts.

• Melinda Hagen

Today is National Popcorn Day!

• brittneysgran

Today is also National Tin Can Day:

• sandlapper_rose

Your package is on the way, Faye.

• ruthz

Yesterday was National Winnie the Pooh Day. - Shirley 1 point

Urooj, hope your feeling better today.

Shirley, that is a beautiful waterfall. I can see why it's your favorite.

Beth, looks like snow to me. I love watching the juncos and cardinals. We only have Juncos part of the time, but we have cardinals year round.

We had a little snow just north of here but nothing here. My daughter works in Plano and had snow on her car when she got off work this morning. Our temps are currently 35, feels like 27, and in the morning supposed to be 29 degrees. I need to remember to check my Frostweed.

Bingo words

Hailstorm

Snowsquall

• ruthz

Updated Snow Day partners

Please mail by the 24th

Jeanne sends to Faye - sent

Faye sends to Beth - sent

Beth sends to Margo - sent and received

Margo sends to Ruth - sent and received

Jayeanne sends to Shirley

Urooj sends to Jeanne - sent

Please let me know if I missed one.

• smitties

it is supposed to snow overnight so hoped to get my picture. I was messing with my phone trying to figure out how to get pics on the cloud. I moved this and that but didn't pay attention so now my phone won't save the pics to my phone. I'm not sure where they are going. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

Fyi- Parkseed is having a sale on seeds. Some are 10 for $10. Shipping is 2.99 on any order.

Use code PS75128 to get an additional 10% off.

• Melinda Hagen

Today is National Cheese Lover day!

• brittneysgran

Margo good luck getting your snow picture. Thanks for info on Parkseed.

Today is also National Buttercrunch Day.

Off to Church, I have the preschoolers this morning, always fun with those little guys.

• ruthz

Yesterday was National Popcorn Day! Melinda 1 point.

One of my favorite things to eat, but I had to stop eating it years ago due to health issues.

Really cold this morning but I saw no ice anywhere.

Bingo word

Snow drift

• jdmom78_8a

today is national disc jockey day.

i am feeling a little better today. taking tons of echinacea and aleve to make it through the day. its cold here but not really. i cleaned the car today. i dont know why, i just felt like i had to.

jeanne the post office said to expect the package by the 22nd.

• ruthz

I got some decent shots tonight of the Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse

between 9pm and 11pm.

• jdmom78_8a

wow. ruth those pics are amazing.

ruthz thanked jdmom78_8a
  • ruthz

Yesterday was National Cheese Lover day. Melinda 1 point

Urooj, thank you. Hope you all watched the Eclipse. It was awesome.

FYI, I'm having problems getting online yesterday and today. So just in case I go missing you'll know the reason. I think it's our service since TV is also messing up.

Not that many bingo words left. Someone must be getting close.

Bingo word

Flurries

• pinkiris

Ruth ... outstanding photos of the Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse

Shirley ... your package is on the way

Ill guess 'Squirrel Appreciation Day' ....

here is my 'winter' photo ... usually not much snow, if any at all really - lots of rain and sometimes bone chilling cold for a night or two. todays temp is 47

• brittneysgran

Today is National Hugging Day.

Ruth the Moon Eclipse shots are great...

• smitties

Today is Martin Luther King day!!!

Ruth, amazing blood moon shots. I couldn't bring myself to go outside last night. The temps were too cold. We went into the negative and I hate the cold.

I did venture out today with a stop at Kroger. Bought a reduced pot of tulips and a flower bouquet.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    We have had ice in Nebraska. Friday it was black ice and I stayed home from work. Today it's very pretty and it's only on the east side of the trees which is not a normal occurrence. We've had quite a lot of fog and it's COLD. It might snow tonight, but I'm not holding my breath. The weather man tells us to prepare for a storm--and nothing happens. Then they told us ice was coming on Friday, but it came on Wednesday and stayed through Friday!

Love the moon pictures! Heidi

• brittneysgran

Up early for pickle ball.

Today is National Blonde Brownie Day...Yum