Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

4 seed grown 2 year old Meiwa kumquat trees

poncirusguy6b452xx
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

continued from "https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5-one-year-old-seedling-meiwa-kumquat-trees-starting-2018-dsvw-vd~5062766?n=44";

This is for my record keeping and to share what ideas work best for others to see and try.

2 Meiwa trees in a widow under lights do well with no growth

2 meiwa trees in a window under lights are doing well but no growth.

"Under can light" Meiwa tree sets new growth after its fruit was picked.

Fruitless "Under can light" tree has put on 44 inches of total growth

Trees grown in lighted enclosures grow better than those under lights in open area.

Steve

Comments (21)

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    5 years ago

The last sentence makes sense, Steve! Not even one ray of light escapes those buckets, maybe only a little through the peephole, and the buckets being white colored helps too.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This seed grown Meiwa kumquat tree is putting out growth but is not in a bucket light.

New growth after picking fruit 4 weeks ago ruler measured a total 40 inches +/- 0.5 inches.

7 sticks 5.5 inches to 6.5 inches. On the tree that had fruit. Pictures above and next 2 below.

side shot measures 30 inches tall.

3 meiwa cutting from top of tallest seed grown meiwa.

moisture tight lid

On the heating vent of 85F air.

Heat retainer.

Using a thorn to pull branch away from new growth avoids girdling the branch. The pulling section of the rope is not visible.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The shoot on the 2nd largest seed grown Mewa have reach a bud and will all grow between 4 to 7 inches

I am expecting 40 inches growth +/- a few

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The growth will top out at 32 inches. Without the bucket lights I needed 4 bulbs instead of 1 but ended up with shorter shoot . Won't hurt the plant though.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There has been very little change since the last entry

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Seed grown Meiwa kumquat trees are also very leggy. It is probable that they will need support their entire life. Your trees look a lot more like my robust Fukushu kumquat trees, Solid, robust, and bushy.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

While the 4 trees look no different from the above pictures they are all flowering . They are 2 years 7 months old from seed sprout. Seed grown Meiwa kumquats appear to flower at a node count a little above 50-60.

• Monyet
    4 years ago

Steve, you got to be the most tenacious person I know. The easy way out for me, hard enough for me with what I am doing, hats of!!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Monyet
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

meiwa kumquat 2 years 8 months and full of fruit.

meiwa starting first masive flower burst withna lot of new growth. Picture of the other 2 tomorrow

Steve

• Monyet
    4 years ago

You “is“definitely the Kumquat King, nobody comes close,( aka mister k k.)

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Monyet
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The other 2

My second largest meiwa tree is now my smallest due to no growth. It is starting it's first mass flowering.

My largest of my seed grown Meiwa kumquat trees. Put on a couple of flower at 2.2 years and again 5 months later butt no mass blooming yet.

thanks Bob for the kind words.

It akes about 50 kumquats to equal the weight of 1 orange. The Meiwa tree is very slow growing and the fruits grow even slower. I would not recomend a kumquat tree for anyone unless the have a lot of in ground yard to let a tree grow lare enough to produce any quantity of fruit.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Third of 4 seed grown Meiwa kumquats that have set a fruit that grew in size and not drop.

At this point 1 Meiwa put on 30 fruits and 2 others just 1 each and 1 tree has not set fruit but has flower 4 times

Steve

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

Once it starts going you'll have more than you know what to do with

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The collection as seen from my roof

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All four of my seed grown Meiwa kumquat trees. Largest of my seed grown Meiwa kumquats.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Fruitiest of my seed grown Meiwa kumquat. She put on 30 fruit this year and 2 last year. The fruits last year were ripe and low on flavor. A half ripe fruit this year tasted good. Better fruits grow on older trees.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meiwa kumquat second largest of the 4 and the only other one to develop a ripening kumquat

What started this spring as #2 fell to #4 in size.

This is the only one that has not had a fruit set yet

Steve

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

I didn't realize the seed grown kumquats are so thorny. My grafted Fukushu has virtually none. It looks like your upper branch has less thorns. I've been pruning my thorns off on my Yuzu, and seed grown thomasville and Morton. Might lose an eyeball one day.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My Meiwa fruits are ripe with all 4 trees now 2 years 51 weeks 3 days old.

This is the first fruit for this tree.

This Meiwa seedling tree produced 2 fruits last year at 1.75 years old. It now has 15 of it's 30 fruits left this year.

Steve

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    4 years ago

Beautiful! Let us know how they taste, Steve!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)