poncirusguy6b452xx

New Zealand lemonade trees on US897 and Seville sour orange year 2019

poncirusguy6b452xx
last modified: January 2, 2019

NZL on US897 rootstock will be 3 years old this March.

As with my other grafted trees most of the new shoots fall of and those that grow loose most of their leaves leaving green stems with just a few leaves.

NZL on Seville sour orange is now 4 months old.

This tree also looses most shoots and has missing or contorted leaves along its green stem.

Steve

• Laura LaRosa (7b)

Looking good Steve!!! My NZL has dropped a lot of leaves this winter. I'm not sure why. I may put it in another room next year.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • katiebeth128_wv_6b

cool! I'm really liking the growth habit of NZL, it has a nice form and mine just keeps putting on masses of new flowers. Just wish the flowers' smell had more intensity to it, it's just barely present at all

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked katiebeth128_wv_6b
  • Denise Becker

It's interesting to note that the NZL limbs are really long with very little side branching.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Denise Becker
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Both the Seville and the US897 are very aggressive rootstocks. The US897 is a dwarf and will top out with side branching at shorter intervals at a manageable hight. The tree on Seville will be a large tree and may be unmanageable for Cincinnati area. I have a couple of flying dragon seedlings. These grow much slower and would push shorter main shoots with ample branching. When this fruit ripens and I find out what it taste like I will decide what I put on the flying dragon seedlings.

• poncirusguy6b452xx

Rooting 3 cuttings of my NZL in a special rooting chamber on right

Meiwa cuting to the left NZL to the right

• Julian H

I like how you setup the rooting chamber on top of the heat vent Steve that’s awesome.

I remember you mentioned the leaf drop and shoot breaks on the us897 root stock is this a common issue or just random. So far on my US897 CaraCara Navel Orange all the shoots are holding on and leves as well.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Julian H
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Julian

I hope it is just me and my tree. It may be a compatibility issue with NZL/US897. I did have problem with my valentine on US897. They both did well out side in summer.

steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx

NZL on Seville sour.

earlier picture with out shoot.

Steve

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)

Wow, beautiful! It is in good hands, Steve :)

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • nulesm

New Zealand lemon blossom's

Brian

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked nulesm
  • Jinny Lee

New Zealand Lemonade with 1 fruit. Hope the picture posts.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Jinny Lee
  • Jinny Lee

Nice trees, Steve and Brian!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Jinny Lee
  • nulesm

Jinny and Steve very nice . Hope the fruit are as good as everyone says they are.

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx

11 days later 15 month +/- old from grafting. Rootstock was 6 months old +/-

Full tree with 2 of 3 sprouts visible. center sprout 2feet. Sprout to right 16 inches.

Tip of 2 footer

sprout to left is 3rd and 16 inches long.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx

Now that the tree is balanced out with its 3 new water sprout it went up on the roof top where it will get 4 more hours of light

OOOOPS That is my green striped cashew