0

need living room decorating advice

Catty Mc

i would be super grateful for advice to decorate my living room I have ideas but I am totally open to decorating tips and advice

• Catty Mc
    ok want to go ahead and start to purchasing, your thoughts on the emmerson table?
  • Catty Mc
    k so steering clear of west elm altogether lols
  • Catty Mc
    ladies I appreciate all your input i just want to buy good quality furniture. @tedbixby the article I read said after 4 years lazy boy sofas start to sag
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

From everything I've seen and heard about West Elm, it's basically one step above Ikea. It looks good on Instagram and Pinterest, but it's essentially starter home grade furniture that doesn't have much of a lifespan. I think if money is no object, and you're not planning on keeping a piece for more than five years, or you can hit a really good sale, then it can work for you.

But if you're looking for quality and value, and pieces you can keep, then probably look elsewhere.

Worth reading through,

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/08/west-elms-quality-issues-dont-stop-at-peggygate.html

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/10/12/17963892/west-elm-customer-service-couch-late-shipping

https://www.curbed.com/2017/11/16/16635672/affordable-furniture-ikea-ashley-west-elm

https://www.reddit.com/r/InteriorDesign/comments/8460d3/any_opinions_on_west_elm_furniture/

Catty, I can sympathize and if you go through the forum archives, there are many others : ) .

I had my previous sofa for about 20 years and was not happy when the time came to replace it. I knew it would be tough to find the same quality for a reasonable price, sigh.

• Catty Mc
    just reading through the reddit post and oh my, didnt realize how low quality the furniture was I would rather do ikea. @tedbixby did the couple get the furniture they wanted?
  • tedbixby

Catty- unfortunately, unless you can find a good deal on higher quality sofa, $2500. isn't going to be a forever sofa now a days. Even though it is a good chunk of change.

I gave you those links so that you could educate yourself so when you went shopping for a $2500. sofa you'll understand the difference in cushion material as that is where the sagging is going to happen, as with any brand in this price range.

As far as the construction of La-Z-Boy, I think the construction is very good but it circles back to what is the performance of the cushions that they offer and that is not just limited to La-Z-Boy. And part of the problem is that I don't think you want firm and so the softer cushions are going to break down quicker in these less expensive sofa's.

You can read all the postings on the threads but you're going to get plus' and minus on every brand in this price range. And the problem is you don't know how much wear it is getting, what the fabric is made of or what the cushion materials are by the people that have posted. So, yes, they are helpful but maybe what it comes down to, do you lower your expectations or wait til you have a bigger budget so you can get into a better quality sofa?

You said your client was happy with the brand they have. I'm guessing you know how long they have had it, how much wear and tear they have, and you could ask them about the cushions and material so maybe that is a place for you to start?

I'm guessing that SF has some high-end furniture stores? Might be worth it to stop by one or two of them and do some comparison...and get a feel for price along what makes a sofa a higher quality one.

• Catty Mc
    hi sorry was on work calls thinking the best way forward is a custom sofa for sure, will visit them in the next couple of days with all the information you ladies have given me I know what to ask for. I would like a deep seated sofa with a chaise. now open to rustic tables any suggestions?

I would check to see what you might have locally, or through Chairish. Search for rustic reclaimed hardwood table.

• Catty Mc
    brilliant thanks xx
  • Catty Mc
    @tedbixby you around tomorrow going to look at furniture in living spaces would love your opinion. please and thanks
  • tedbixby

I'll be in and out all day but will check in when I'm around. Have fun.

• Catty Mc
    k, have a good day will send pics of what I find x
  • tedbixby

I came across this company today https://www.simplicitysofas.com/ There isn't much reviews on them outside of their own site but what I did find, everyone seemed happy with their sofas. Also, they are "custom" but I don't know how custom that is beyond fabric, foot, welting or whatever. They also say their furniture will go through small door openings which might be an issue for you. The only thing is that they don't sell in stores so you wouldn't be able to sit in it before you purchase. And their warranty is decent and they offer replacement cushions and the reality is that more than likely no matter what sofa you purchase that at some time in the sofa's life you will have to replace them. I didn't spend much time looking at the site but it may be worth your while to do so.

• Catty Mc
    thanks so much! just woke up worked 13 days in a row (so I can buy the furniture for my living room) have a friend coming with me and she can go tomorrow. checking out living spaces another friend has a couch from there that shes had for 6 years and loves it still going strong. so super excited! will go take loads of pics of dining tables and sofas that I like. I would love your opinion if they are right for my space and also the colour co ordination.
  • tedbixby

Ok. Find out what brand your friend's sofa is. I'm not to familiar with Living Spaces so you might want to read reviews on them and see what other's experiences have been.

Also, found another source that you can custom a sofa and this is their warranty on their cushions. If you want to look at what they offer here is their site. https://www.kincaidfurniture.com/ I'm sure they are in a store in the SF area.

Kincaid warrants the seat cushions against loss of resiliency due to defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. The loss of resiliency should not, however, be confused with a slight softening and flattening of the fibers and foam that will occur as a result of normal use and aging. Cushions and filling material will begin to soften and conform to the shape of the user and these qualities should not be considered manufacturing defects.

• Catty Mc
    I certainly will ask her for sure! will check them out x
  • tedbixby

Another tidbit I came across

There’s a lot that goes into sofa construction, and generally speaking you get what you pay for. That's why it's advisable to always buy the best you can afford. But whatever your price point, make sure to run your hand down the back of any sofa you’re considering. A hollow back isn’t a great sign as it usually indicates poor construction. A padded back is what you want whether you're spending $500 or $5000.

• Catty Mc
    I never knew this it's super helpful and the articles you gave me will help me ask the right questions when I do get there x
  • tedbixby

I came across this site today and it has very informative articles. You might want to take a look :) https://www.thespruce.com/furniture-basics-4127984

• Catty Mc
    will do darlin your the best thanks! my friend going to check when she gets home the make of the couch

Just received an email from Crate and Barrel that they have a flash upholstery sale, 15 percent off, through January 21st, fyi

• Catty Mc
    thanks so much
  • Catty Mc
    https://www.livingspaces.com/pdp-delano-2-piece-sectional-wraf-oversized-chaise-207959 this is the sofa I tried out and loved it has an ottoman and it would be perfect no need for a coffee table and I would essentially have another "bed" to chill out on my days off
  • tedbixby

Did you measure it in your room? It's 136" long and 72" deep. Tape it out and then we can talk as I'm thinking it is going to take up most of the room. Also, it needs a minimum of 31" doorway to get it into the room, even with the legs removed. Check your measurements..

Verifying that this is the sofa as this is where the link took me.

Delano 2 Piece Sectional W/Raf Oversized Chaise | Living Spaces · More Info

• njmomma

following

• Catty Mc
    will do have the painter coming now at 4 to take a look will get it done after that x
  • tedbixby

Why is the painter coming when you haven't picked out anything? Paint colors are selected last... easier to match paint to everything rather than the other way around. Or is painter coming just to give you an estimate?

• Catty Mc
    he is coming to look now to give me a price to paint the whole apartment. he is painting the bathroom and hallway first. they can be done while I am picking out the right furniture for the living room
  • Catty Mc
    too big but getting closer to the style in want thanks. hope your having a lovely weekend
  • Catty Mc
    thank you
  • Catty Mc

this is the sofa I its exactly what I want. 112 w and 69 depth includes the ottoman

• Catty Mc

this is the table measuring 70 length 36 width

• tedbixby

Take the measurements and tape them out in your space. When I put it on paper, I came up with a 72" w x 40" deep sofa and a 62" table (the size of the Emmerson) and even that was a bit tight. When you tape it out, you need at least 3' around the table where there are going to be chairs. 24" for the chair to be under the table and another 12" to pull the chair in and out. Before you do anymore shopping, tape out your space and see what the max sizes are that you are comfortable with and hopefully, my measurements are wrong and you'll find that these items sizes will work for you. Keep me posted.

• Catty Mc
    painter has kitchen and bathroom furniture and appliances will do it on Thursday when hes all done
  • Catty Mc

these are the furniture pieces I picked out absolutely in love with them. will have the table against the wall until I have people over .

• tedbixby

Wonderful that you got your dream sofa. That will be a really good chill one for you. You have to be so excited about it :) I'm happy for you. Looks like you got the walls painted, too. Looking good. You followed your vision. Good job.

• Catty Mc
    what kind of chairs would you recommend, there is a buffet to match the table, will send another one I like aswell. the room has primer not painted yet. I was thinking of pendant lights for over the table or a chandlier. what kind of velvet curtains, blanket, pillows, and rug should I purchase?
  • Catty Mc
    what about a buffet there is one to match the table and here is a link to some nice ones! https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/search/?q=Accent cabinet&sz=16&start=16. thinking either pendant or a chandelier. would love your opinion and color scheme that you think would work! as always your so sweet to help me I greatly appreciate it
  • Catty Mc

the buffet to match the table and a pendant lights not mad about this one just wanted to give an example z

• tedbixby

Do you have room for a buffet? Those lights have been around for eons- old looking style so don't go that way. Have you considered a crystal chandelier? I'm thinking that based on your earlier inspiration photos. I'm getting ready to travel til mid Feb so I don't have time to help you shop but can try and give a little help while I pack. Have you looked at upholstered parsons chairs for your table? From the get go I always imagined your place with grays, white and blush. Are you a pink girl at all?

• Catty Mc
    yes chandelier those lights were just an example of the pendant lights dont like the style
  • Catty Mc
    yes to the chandelier!! my water bottle is pink, my wallet is pink, my number plate is pink safe to say I love pink. if you please could that would be great, I really need help with the finishing touches xx going anywhere fun?
  • tedbixby

Well, I guess you do like PINK! I'll be happy to help with whatever you need when I get back. Heading to Venice and Croatia. If you google search how to choose a chandelier you'll get an idea of what size you should be shopping for.

• Catty Mc
    oh how fun, enjiy!! those are 2 places on the top of my list! perfect when do you get back? I really need curtains though my windows are huge
  • tedbixby

Hi Catty. I'm back so let me know if you've been shopping while I've been gone and if you found anything and what help you need.