0

Should i dye my mocha sofa grey?

Guri

hello!
when i bought sofas, i choose grey and blush pink and then I changed my mind to this mocha sofa and now I regret.
i have a grey hallway and the living room seems like from another house.
Or maybe should I paint grey walls?

thanks:)

RL Relocation LLC

sell that sofa and replace it with two arm chairs.

Guri
    thanks;)
    how about rug? if i sell the sofa?
  • decoenthusiaste

I had a thing about pink once; back in the 80's - pink dining room, then pink sectional. Really think the mocha one is more enduring style-wise, and gray is fading at this time. Use pink for the accessories. I'd prefer a larger rug that slips under the front 1/3 of all seating and extends past the ends by a foot or more.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Your mocha sofa is fine and the whole room is rather charming. I'd live with it for a while and, further down the road, consider selling the pink sofa. For now find mocha, navy and other darker-color pillows for the pink sofa. Find a gorgeous, colorful and very large painting for over the fireplace to pull attention away from the pink sofa. When your budget permits, a much larger rug would pull everything together.

• ci_lantro

No, don't dye it. I like the mocha sofa. Color is perfect with that floor. And the color is easier to live with than the pink one (which will show any soiling very easily.)

Yes to painting the hallway.

RL Relocation LLC

the rug is great. It might need to be the next size up if that is possible. I see you are angling one sofa, this is why i suggest two chairs it will be easier to balance in the room. I like the pink sofa, and assume this is more of a pretty room than a family room so balance is key.

• Sammie J

It's not the paint. It looks "off" because you don't have any art in the room yet. First, I'd get a rug that has both sofa colors in it to blend the two pieces together. New pillows that coordinate the colors would help, too (make sure a few have black in them). Then, choose some large pieces of art to hang on the walls, a coffee table for between the sofas, and some lamps. It will look great.

What is in the area behind the mocha sofa? You might be able to fit a sofa table behind the sofa, which would help to ground the piece.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Love your flooring so I don't want for you to cover anymore of it, but you have to turn the rug a 1/4 turn.

Pull the blush sofa away from the back wall

Add a glass coffee table so you can see that beautiful rug

replace the loveseat with two lounge chairs

I have painted just the fireplace wall

The floor lamp has to be improved upon

I would add some type of sculptural tree in the corner by the window

You could also consider adding simple THICK shelves on either side of the fireplace.

Guri

thanks for sharing your ideas;)

what if I put the pink/mocha sofa under my stairs?

• IdaClaire

No to putting the sofa under the stairs. It looks like it got drunk at a party and fell asleep there. ;-)

I like them both in the same room, and agree that with some carefully-chosen art pieces, you can absolutely make that space come together beautifully. You already have some charming elements in place.

• oaktonmom

For starters, try taking all of the throw pillows and put the pink on the mocha sofa and the mocha on the pink sofa.

Guri

thanks;)

so, i put the pillow from the mocha sofa on the pink sofa, but it is too "matchy matchy"

i also bought a mirror, i could make an accent wall where is the pink sofa or should i fix it on fireplace?

• IdaClaire

I'd much rather see striking paintings or framed prints in your space than the mirror. A large canvas over the fireplace and another good-sized piece above the pink sofa might be pretty much all you need. Think large, not an accent wall with several smaller pieces.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Your focal wall is the FIREPLACE WALL. Can you get another mirror or two so you can stack them?

The element on the FP should be vertical

The element behind the sofa should be horizontal.

BeverlyFLADeziner

If you want your seating to look special, don't select a 15" pillow and think it will look good. UP THE SIZE OF YOUR TOSS PILLOWS and make sure they are squishy and not just a slab of foam. Makes a less expensive sofa look more custom.

Guri

thank you, Beverly afLADeziner and everyone;)

i will definitely buy bigger cushions. Ther rug is too long and if turned vertically is too long and cannot close the doors and too far from sofas & looks much weird than horizontal.
    I am looking for painting the walls as well.

I am more into scandi/morrocan style, so maybe I am on the right way?!

• Louise McCarthy

I like that sofa under your stairs. Yes, I am "odd", lol.

• pennydesign

I love your pink sofa...what about wallpapering just your fireplace up to the ceiling?

In something like this:

BeverlyFLADeziner

Your sofas are too far apart.

They should be about 6ft depending on the width of your coffee table.

Guri thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
    Guri

thank you
    so, looks like this:)

it blocks the door somehow and also, looks like I have lots of space close to the window

• pennydesign

Do you have enough room to do an L shape with the sofa and loveseat? You'll have to have the loveseat partially in front of the door, but try the sofa on which ever wall will leave the most space for that. (It's tough to tell, but the fireplace is off center? so that's why I'm thinking it might work)

• sondramartina

Don't dye it. I would put a pink and taupe rug, something like this.

Guri thanked sondramartina
  • B F

the sofa under the stairs could be ok, but only if you shifted it all the way to the right and found a different type of lamp (a sconce or pendant). as it is, it's squished on the left and nobody could sit there unless they were really short.

but I'm with other people here - the pink and mocha couch look good in that room. you just need the right accessories.

Guri thanked B F
    RL Relocation LLC

Put a sofa table behind pink sofa and a low table under the window. But again, this is why I say two chairs they would fill the space a little better.

Guri thanked RL Relocation LLC
    Guri

What if put them in L hape?

• sondramartina
    It would bother me to have that door behind the sofa.
    Guri thanked sondramartina
  • Susie .
    And now it’s not centered on the fireplace. I think it’s better flanking the fireplace. You just need some accessories to tie the pieces together. Pillows, maybe a throw, art on the walls. A console behind a sofa...everything that Beverly mentioned. Right now they are the only thing in the room, so that’s all you see. Get a cohesive design together and it will be much better.
    Guri thanked Susie .
  • pennydesign

I like it better angled, I think...

I had a loveseat/sofa combo that worked perfectly in my first home...in my second, it didn't work due to windows and doors. I tried them opposite each other, even on one end and a substantial end table on the opposite end of the loveseat (in order to visual make up the difference in size)...it worked pretty good, so you could try that. I also tried it with the loveseat angled like you showed in one of your pictures. That worked, also.

If you angle it, how much room is behind the loveseat? Could a tiny desk/chair (really tiny!) go in the corner near the window closest to the doorway? Maybe a plant next to that?

Perhaps find fabric for a cushion/seat cover that brings in both colors.

Fortunately, there are TONS of options in this color combination...

RL Relocation LLC

oh heavens no to craming it all in a corner lol.

how about getting a larger rug.

a sofa table.

then move forward.

You where on the right path. dont let us get you messed up. I think truly the rug was too small.

Guri thanked RL Relocation LLC
    Guri

thank you

I know it is too small, knew the day it arrived;)) but I'll change it later.