Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobo_93

How to fix this misfit, angled fireplace? Blend/Change? (1 photo)

lobo_93
5 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is my angled, gas fireplace; see if you can spot the “misfit” ;)

--Problem-- The firebox is skewed to the right. (a) Mantle edge: hits the corner on the right, but not on the left side. (b) Tile edge: is 5” on the left side, but only 2” on the right side.

--Questions-- (1) Blend it with the angled wall with a different texture than the rest of the room? i.e. which one: paint, wallpaper, wood, brick, stone, other? Or would you rather (2) Change it? i.e. surround, mantle, trim, fireplace doors, other? Please help!

Comments (121)

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Home Interiors with Ease

>Where is bookcase? A/ It switched places with the desk. Pic 4of4 above ;)

>Budget on swivel chairs? A/Similar to the ones replacing: WestElm "Slope Leather Lounge Chair" x 2 (about $1K).

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I just went looking for swivel chairs and reminded myself that most of them are, if not downright ugly, then kind of graceless. I don't think you need to tie yourself to swivel chairs here; no matter what arrangement you decide on, the chairs will be part of the conversation group and still have a good view of the TV (which itself can always be swiveled a bit for viewing).

lobo_93 thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    lobo_93 thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • partim
    5 years ago

lobo_93 thanked partim
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sunday morning summary :)

-Modified Layout 3 -“library/ office corner”: I thought you might like to see this one with the desk and bookshelf forming an L-shape together. I kind of like this idea, your thoughts:

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

-Layout 4 Julie, partim: The desk is parallel to (W) wall windows, the credenza is parallel to (N) long wall, and bookshelf is on (E) angled wall. Please note furniture is not angled.

1 of 3: corner office without the bookshelf:

2 of 3: bookshelf on angled wall. Note: 1-The tan line is the pantry wall. 2-It looks as if I had a lot of space to back off the sofa more, but that is the hallway (see last pic# 3 of 3):

3 of 3: showing (E) walls and hallway:

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

ok one more idea....bare with me!:)

move desk centered in front of window

flank window with drapes

center TV console on wall..move sofa and rug centered to TV

Add only one larger gray lounge chair

place it on the right side of room angled towards tv

remove armless chairs completly

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Bookshelf is perfect on far right angled wall...do not change it!:))

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Julie: here it is centered, no drapes and lounge chair though -- mockup please ;) ?

• partim
    5 years ago

Yes, that a very good place for the bookshelf. The wall is the right size, and it's well placed to be useful but not a center of attraction.

Could it be stained or painted? It's a yellow color, and your other wood tones are orange/brown. Its baskets look best on the bottom shelf.

I don't care for the desk as you have shown it. It looks like the "naughty corner". Either move it more in front of the window (centered?) and center he TV cabinet on the wall, or angle the desk in the corner as you had it before.

lobo_93 thanked partim
  • partim
    5 years ago

Looks good centered, but pull it away from the window 6". The plant on the table needs to exit the room. It's distracting. If you want a plant, it needs to be room-sized and placed after you have decided on the large pieces.

lobo_93 thanked partim
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

What is the depth of your bookcase..doing a new mock up

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Julie! bookcase width=6', depth=15"; centered on (E) angled wall =8'.

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you partim! Yes, we have tried the desk on the (W) wall: a) Far-left by the door; b) Centered by windows; c) Far-right to the corner. d) Now on the (N) wall; these are the measurements:

-(N) wall 17'= 7' left-half + 10' right-half.

-rug= 8' x 10' (10' side defining the right-half of the (N) wall).

-desk width=4', depth=2'; centered on left-half of (N) wall =7'.

-credenza width=70", depth=20"; centered on right-half of the (N) wall=10'.

• partim
    5 years ago

If your desk doesn't end up in the corner, could this big plant go in that corner, or somewhere between the TV and the window?

lobo_93 thanked partim
  • PRO
  • beesneeds
    5 years ago

Ooohhhh, yes.... I do rather like the bookshelf back on the east end with everything else :) keeping the middle section more open and the sofa facing the tv and also fireplace is very nice. Where’s the pretty art that was on the north wall? Blues... try that out on the middle section wall.

Not sure about the desk area... in earlier photos, there’s two chairs. Is this because you regularly use two chairs? If so, consider popping some wheels under your new pair of chairs for new desk chairs and put a more grey toned chair for the east middle section.

lobo_93 thanked beesneeds
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

beesneeds, groveraxle, partim, Claire and Julie: Thank you to all; the last layout is now in place with books back in the bookcase. I moved the 2 bulky sofas to the garage: they are old and have served us well, and it is time to let go.

It is taking some time for me to “warm-up” to the new rug and sofa. The family room looks very large and with the lonely low back and straight sofa is really calling for some company. Would you help me with the chairs and table selection?

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree that round items will soften up all the angled walls and hallway.

-Chairs: I have been looking at the swivels, and you are right groveraxle, the “classic swivel” is awful, ha, ha, so staying away from recliner-type, skirt-panels, heavy machinery, and brown color. I like the look of these 2, but not their price, something similar, your opinion? https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/117666526/list/wish-list

-Tables: I want to stay away from matching coffee/side table set, and away from brown, orange and yellow ;). I like this look with “my new sofa” and a white coffee table, with storage for the tv/game controllers by CB2 (no longer available). Would you help me finding something similar? And side table suggestions with some texture/ character.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Need images

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

you don’t like this modern mid century swivel? This style is very comfortable too.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Why don’t you use your tv console to store video game items Etc...?

• PRO
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Both from PB..can upholster in gray tweed performance fabric.

• PRO
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

White coffee tables with storage on Wayfair turned up these:

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• lobo_93 thanked User
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

beesneeds, groveraxle, partim, Claire and Julie: I have now been living with the new layout for about 2 weeks. And here is the update for you “houzzer friends”:

-New rug: loving it in the family room (I moved the earth color one to the living room).

-New sofa: it is good for seating, reading, but not really comfy as my old ones (I am tempted to bring them back, just kidding).

-Chairs and tables purchases: I have been quoting all the suggested ones and others, but I am having “analysis paralysis”. My experience with West Elm Outlet taught me that what looks good in the catalog, doesn’t mean it will “feel good” when seating on it. And also found that this outlet buys are final. So, I will post again when I get something done ;)

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate your time and valuable ideas; your generosity and knowledge touched me!!

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello everyone, in reviewing the comments, I noticed I have left out some thanks and answers.

GreenDesigns, lefty47, and Sammie J: thank you for your comments; sorry I missed you on my last post.

beesneeds: (Jan-13): 1- Yes, the desk has 2 chairs. 2- I have another oil canvas by the same artist, but I moved it away from the family room because the sun hit it; so that one was left alone on the only spot that is protected from direct sun.

partim (Jan-13): The larger plant was dying, so I moved to a more tranquil place; I will bring it back when it gets better.

Julie (Jan-14): 1-Yes, I will use the credenza for storage. 2-No, I did not like the mcm swivel’s legs; that is the one thing I did no not like from our new sofa. I am open to a more modern/contemporary feel for this room (escaping from bulky, matching, earth colors), but I still would like some texture and color. Having said that, I liked your last monochromatic ideas (round white marble table, black& white textured poufs)!

groveraxle (Jan-14 last 2 pics): 1-I love the art style/color you picked for the wall to the right of the fireplace. I have a “fauvist” large piece in the living room, and after seeing your beautiful mockup I am thinking about moving it in here. 2- I am getting the cushions in blue.

Claire (Jan-14 last link): Thanks, but not really feeling this “textured twill light gray” sorry.

Furniture update: How about these two blue patterned chairs (rather than the gray ones) ["Pelican Key"[(https://www.houzz.com/products/tropical-armchairs-and-accent-chairs-prbr1-br~t_527~s_2108) and ["Coconut Grove"[(https://www.houzz.com/products/transitional-armchairs-and-accent-chairs-prbr1-br~t_527~s_2112). Will their style/color clash with the cognac sofa? Or could we call it eclectic ;)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

That Pelican Key is an awesome chair...but not with that rug:

Maybe with this one:

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago

beesneeds, Claire, GreenDesigns, groveraxle, Julie, lefty47, partim, Sammie J

Finally, I am rebooting the fireplace remodel. I have taken everyone’s advice and decided on light stone veneer and a rustic mantle. I hope it is just the right combo of contemporary lines and organic textures. We are getting the materials now and we will start the remodel after Easter :). Hopefully, we’ll be done by the end of the month… I’ll post then. Thank you all!

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Fireplace update: I got the materials and found the rustic beams too. The work is in progress and will be ready by the end of the week :)

Thank you all: I am so glad my question caught in some of your attention. You all got me redoing my family room layout before the actual fireplace remodel! Now following your comments and renderings (Jan-14), I can see the more modern art I have in the living room in this room instead. Thanks again.

Fireplace materials: 1- White/textured LiteStone 2- Metal Bird Sculpture (W: 47") 3- reclaimed solid wood beams and 4-longer fireplace metal face (in black)

• User
    5 years ago
    Can’t wait to see the finished lobo!
    lobo_93 thanked User
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Excited to see the new fireplace...saw this chair thought you might like it!:)

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Claire Here is an “in progress”photo, the beams and longer metal piece will be added last; hopefully soon! <edited to add the photo>

Groveraxle since re-arranging the layout, I’ve bought the 1 round coffee table.

HIwE Thank you for all the furniture suggestions; I am putting the chairs on hold for now, with the idea of switching art and a chair from the living room to the family room.

Will you “ladies and gentlemen” follow me on this project, switching art between living room and family room? <edited to add the project>

Project 1 Fireplace · More Info

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Ok keep us posted...no image was added of progress

• User
    4 years ago
    Yes we will. will stay in tuned
    lobo_93 thanked User
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The reclaimed wood beams and the longer metal face in black have been added; the fireplace remodeling is done! <edited to add the final photo with the metal art>

And here is the link with the before and after photos.

• User
    4 years ago
    Nice choices in texture...good work!
    lobo_93 thanked User
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Looks great!

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all; you said:

“remove the mantle” (HIwEase); “take the surround and end it from wall to wall run it up to the ceiling with different tiling” (Claire Larece); “painted the same as the wall color(…) 3 inch or so wide black metal frame around the firebox” (lefty47); “something that goes wall corner to corner” (beesneeds); “Remove the current fireplace surround, fur out the wall, and tile with large format tiles” (groveraxle).

We did it, TY !! ... Now will you please help me out switching art between living room and family room? <new thread? this one is 100+ long>

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

Goodness, haven't been on in a few, and come back to this loveliness. Good show lobo, the fireplace wall looks wonderful!!

I'm rather extra fond of the bird artwork :) And the table the plant is sitting on. Think your plant needs a bit bigger saucer under the pot though- I would hate to see spillovers on that nice table or lovely floor.

lobo_93 thanked beesneeds
  • User
    4 years ago
    Lobo I don’t see the thread for switching the wall art
    lobo_93 thanked User
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Would look more mid century or contemporary without the mantle..but looks great a very nice upgrade for sure.

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

beesneeds, Claire, Julie: Thank you for the positive comments!

beesneeds: I am happy that you noticed the birds on the wall and on the table. I am looking for a bigger saucer before midnight :)

Claire: here is the new thread for switching the wall art: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/how-to-arrange-artwork-on-this-blank-wall-dsvw-vd~5693599

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The project is done, and I miss you guys; so I read back the thread and found these 2 unanswered comments:

partim (about the “big plant”) you might want to know that it is back to a healthy condition ;)

beesneeds (about the “big blue art”) actually that oil canvas has a companion piece, would you please come and check on my new post? "How to arrange artwork on this blank wall?"