0

How to fix this misfit, angled fireplace in family room? Blend/Change?

lobo_938250266

This is my angled, gas fireplace; see if you can spot the “misfit” ;)

--Problem-- The firebox is skewed to the right. (a) Mantle edge: the mantle hits the corner on the right, but not on the left side. (b)Tile edge: the distance from corner to tile is 5” on the left side, but only 2” on the right side.

--Questions-- (1) Blending: Anyone thinks a way to disguise this misfit is to blend it with the angled wall with a different texture than the rest of the room? i.e. which one: paint, wallpaper, wood, brick, stone, other?

(2) Or would you rather change other “non-structural” options? i.e. surround, mantle, trim, fireplace doors, other? Please help!

Home Interiors with Ease

get your rug down and sofa on it...that gray rug with help with the overload of warm tones..I love the cognac sofa..get a beautiful soft throw to go on one end with ivory and black knit....some textured neutral pillows...black helps counter act to much gold/orange.

lobo_938250266 thanked Home Interiors with Ease
    Home Interiors with Ease

Please don’t angle that sofa;/

Home Interiors with Ease

Some inspiration

• groveraxle

Lobo, keep the caramel sofa in this room. See if you can use the armless caramel chairs somewhere else.

Your best layout has the sofa facing the TV on the wall left of the fireplace with two chairs facing the fireplace.

If you're going to angle the desk anyway, why don't you want it on the angled wall opposite the fireplace? In fact, Julie's floor plan from yesterday is the most functional one that gives proper attention to both focal points (TV and fireplace) and maintains optimum spacing for furniture.

Finally, can you post larger photos? I don't know why, but yours don't enlarge when we click on them. Shoot them in HD and upload them in their original size.

lobo_938250266 thanked groveraxle
    Home Interiors with Ease

You can really make a desk against a wall look great and really style it nice....

• lobo_938250266

Thank you, Houzzers ;) I will re-arrange and post layout #3 with your suggestions tomorrow (I need some help moving credenza, and bookcase ... and empty those... I need Marie Kondo too ;)

Home Interiors with Ease

What is layout #3?

• beesneeds

I got no idea which number is which either, lol.

But I’ll add another arrangement suggestion. Move the bookshelf out of that side completely and put it on the left wall behind the door to create a false wall that extends a few feet past the door horizontally across the bottom of the room. Can’t tell if it’s 6 or 7 feet long. Arrange stuff so it’s pleasing from both sides and allows light through.

Keep the tv to the left of the fireplace, have your sofa face your tv. Keep your desk area in the upper left corner, and use those two chairs as floaters in both the kind of corner you created with the bookshelf or to use for watching tv... kind of tie in the desk area too.

lobo_938250266 thanked beesneeds
  • lobo_938250266

Books and birds are important to us; it might explain why the bookshelf and desk are in the family room… Having said that, I’m listening to what seems a consensus on the bookshelf and desk ;)

Layout #3:

1-Bookshelf: removed from the adjacent wall to the fireplace. Done, for now it is shown at the far left of the long (N) wall (end). However, I can move somewhere else in the house.

2-Desk: flat against wall (not angled). Done, for now it is at far left of the window (W) wall. However, that is a door, and I cannot block it, but it gave us the idea of a smaller, rolling desk or secretary, that could be moved according to the needs for light or for privacy.

-Here are the pics for layout #3

1of4: starting on (N) wall:

• groveraxle

Gah. The photos are now smaller than ever. I like the rug, though.

lobo_938250266 thanked groveraxle
  • lobo_938250266

Photos: Sorry, I was not able to upload from my cell, so I uploaded to my pc, and then onto the houzz website ...there must be an easier way.

2of4 (E) wall: angled 6', straight 7', angled 8', then hallway

3of4 (no wall): Here is the open side to hallway, pantry, then kitchen

4of4 (W) wall: seen from hallway

Home Interiors with Ease

Yes small Images???...rug is very nice...ok here we go.....if bookcase is staying in the room it should be on the angled wall to the far right not wall right next to fireplace but far angled wall...that way furniture can be centered in the room and console is not so close to fireplace.....your desk is very nice style you could put it directly behind sofa up against the back and add one of your armless chairs with it..than think about adding a gray upholstered chair to be mixed with your other armless chair On the window side of the room...you are not utilizing all your floor space..it is such a nice sized room!

Home Interiors with Ease

This Will put desk close to bookcase very functional for the family..I would add two ottomans or poufs for near the fireplace for relaxing and can be moved around as needed for puttin feet up or extra seating....

• groveraxle

Yay. Your last two photos enlarged. ;-)

lobo_938250266 thanked groveraxle
  • lobo_938250266

<edited> Finally, I posted all 4 pics for layout #3. For those keeping track of suggested layouts, here it goes:

• Claire Larece
    I know this is a family room but this layout doesn’t seem to work with with the open kitchen especially with the angled wall.
    lobo_938250266 thanked Claire Larece
  • lobo_938250266

Good morning houzzers; here is my “Saturday Summary” :)

-Layout 3: beesneeds, Julie. You suggested this one without furniture on the East wall (6’ angled, 8’ straight, 7’ angled). I like that it allows for the corner fireplace to be seen, and to get in the family room without obstacles when coming from hallway. ->Is this the winner layout?

-Desk: Julie. I tried both suggestions: on angled wall and behind the sofa. (1) The desk fits on the 7’ angled wall, but desk chairs back off against the 3-seat sofa and they block coming into the room from hallway. (2) The desk against the back of the 3-seat sofa, would block the path of the hallway to the back door, so cannot do either. Then, the desk is back on the West wall but flat against the windows ;) ->Is this the winner location for it?

-Chairs: Claire, groveraxle, partim. A couple of comfy, arm-chairs is the consensus. I like the idea of round/swivel chairs suggested by Claire and Partim, and the color and texture feel suggested by groveraxle. ->Help shopping for 2 swivels that would play with rug and sofa colors?

Home Interiors with Ease

Where is bookcase?

Home Interiors with Ease

Budget on swivel chairs?

• lobo_938250266

Home Interiors with Ease

>Where is bookcase? A/ It switched places with the desk. Pic 4of4 above ;)

>Budget on swivel chairs? A/Similar to the ones replacing: WestElm "Slope Leather Lounge Chair" x 2 (about $1K).

• groveraxle

I just went looking for swivel chairs and reminded myself that most of them are, if not downright ugly, then kind of graceless. I don't think you need to tie yourself to swivel chairs here; no matter what arrangement you decide on, the chairs will be part of the conversation group and still have a good view of the TV (which itself can always be swiveled a bit for viewing).

lobo_938250266 thanked groveraxle
  • lobo_938250266 thanked partim
  • lobo_938250266

Sunday morning summary :)

-Modified Layout 3 -“library/ office corner”: I thought you might like to see this one with the desk and bookshelf forming an L-shape together. I kind of like this idea, your thoughts:

• lobo_938250266

-Layout 4 Julie, partim: The desk is parallel to (W) wall windows, the credenza is parallel to (N) long wall, and bookshelf is on (E) angled wall. Please note furniture is not angled.

1 of 3: corner office without the bookshelf:

2 of 3: bookshelf on angled wall. Note: 1-The tan line is the pantry wall. 2-It looks as if I had a lot of space to back off the sofa more, but that is the hallway (see last pic# 3 of 3):

3 of 3: showing (E) walls and hallway:

Home Interiors with Ease

ok one more idea....bare with me!:)

move desk centered in front of window

flank window with drapes

center TV console on wall..move sofa and rug centered to TV

Add only one larger gray lounge chair

place it on the right side of room angled towards tv

remove armless chairs completly

Home Interiors with Ease

Bookshelf is perfect on far right angled wall...do not change it!:))

• lobo_938250266

Julie: here it is centered, no drapes and lounge chair though -- mockup please ;) ?

• partim

Yes, that a very good place for the bookshelf. The wall is the right size, and it's well placed to be useful but not a center of attraction.

Could it be stained or painted? It's a yellow color, and your other wood tones are orange/brown. Its baskets look best on the bottom shelf.

I don't care for the desk as you have shown it. It looks like the "naughty corner". Either move it more in front of the window (centered?) and center he TV cabinet on the wall, or angle the desk in the corner as you had it before.

lobo_938250266 thanked partim
  • partim

Looks good centered, but pull it away from the window 6". The plant on the table needs to exit the room. It's distracting. If you want a plant, it needs to be room-sized and placed after you have decided on the large pieces.

lobo_938250266 thanked partim
    Home Interiors with Ease

What is the depth of your bookcase..doing a new mock up

• lobo_938250266

Thank you Julie! bookcase width=6', depth=15"; centered on (E) angled wall =8'.

• lobo_938250266

Thank you partim! Yes, we have tried the desk on the (W) wall: a) Far-left by the door; b) Centered by windows; c) Far-right to the corner. d) Now on the (N) wall; these are the measurements:

-(N) wall 17'= 7' left-half + 10' right-half.

-rug= 8' x 10' (10' side defining the right-half of the (N) wall).

-desk width=4', depth=2'; centered on left-half of (N) wall =7'.

-credenza width=70", depth=20"; centered on right-half of the (N) wall=10'.

• partim

If your desk doesn't end up in the corner, could this big plant go in that corner, or somewhere between the TV and the window?

lobo_938250266 thanked partim
  • beesneeds

Ooohhhh, yes.... I do rather like the bookshelf back on the east end with everything else :) keeping the middle section more open and the sofa facing the tv and also fireplace is very nice. Where’s the pretty art that was on the north wall? Blues... try that out on the middle section wall.

Not sure about the desk area... in earlier photos, there’s two chairs. Is this because you regularly use two chairs? If so, consider popping some wheels under your new pair of chairs for new desk chairs and put a more grey toned chair for the east middle section.

• lobo_938250266

beesneeds, groveraxle, partim, Claire and Julie: Thank you to all; the last layout is now in place with books back in the bookcase. I moved the 2 bulky sofas to the garage: they are old and have served us well, and it is time to let go.

It is taking some time for me to “warm-up” to the new rug and sofa. The family room looks very large and with the lonely low back and straight sofa is really calling for some company. Would you help me with the chairs and table selection?

• lobo_938250266

I agree that round items will soften up all the angled walls and hallway.

-Chairs: I have been looking at the swivels, and you are right groveraxle, the “classic swivel” is awful, ha, ha, so staying away from recliner-type, skirt-panels, heavy machinery, and brown color. I like the look of these 2, but not their price, something similar, your opinion? https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/117666526/list/wish-list

-Tables: I want to stay away from matching coffee/side table set, and away from brown, orange and yellow ;). I like this look with “my new sofa” and a white coffee table, with storage for the tv/game controllers by CB2 (no longer available). Would you help me finding something similar? And side table suggestions with some texture/ character.

Home Interiors with Ease

you don’t like this modern mid century swivel? This style is very comfortable too.

Home Interiors with Ease

Why don’t you use your tv console to store video game items Etc...?

Home Interiors with Ease

Both from PB..can upholster in gray tweed performance fabric.

• groveraxle

White coffee tables with storage on Wayfair turned up these:

lobo_938250266 thanked groveraxle
  • lobo_938250266 thanked groveraxle
  • lobo_938250266 thanked Claire Larece