Your shopping cart is empty.

Can anyone tell me more about this carved folding screen?

January 9, 2019
last modified: January 9, 2019

I inherited this screen from my mother. I'm not sure if she got it from her mother (who lived on The Isle of Man until about 1918, then moved to Muskoka Ontario) or from her father ( whose family came to Muskoka from Britain, in 1874). At one point my maternal Grandmother wanted to start an Antique store in the 1930's and went on shopping and auction sprees- so it could have come from there too.

I really don't know anything about it. Was it always a screen? I see those little hinge holes and I wonder what used to be there. Does anyone have an idea where it would have been made? What year it was made?

Comments (3)

  • bubblyjock

    I think that's called chip carving, and I'd guess it was from Burmah, Japan, SE Asia somewhere? That's pretty vague, sorry! It's nice!

    Gargamel thanked bubblyjock
  • Gargamel

    I'll have to google chip carving!

  • lindac92

    But that's not chip carving....

    Gargamel thanked lindac92

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).