0

kitchen remodel and family room addition

Sarah

I am about to remodel my kitchen, gutting it and knocking wall down between Kitchen and Dining room. We're also adding square footage to our Family room. I am struggling with layout for both spaces. In kitchen, I know I want L-shaped with an island, but not sure where to put appliances, etc and how to work in a pantry. I know I don't want the stove or sink in the island and we have a double oven. In the family room, I'm struggling with where to put windows, I'd like cross ventilation but worry about the room feeling like a sun room with windows on all sides. Also, is it weird to have windows looking out onto a deck? And which wall should I put the TV on. Any advice from a design professional would be greatly appreciated.

Building Quality Homes, LLC

Hi Sarah, 2 questions, is your double oven separate from your stove/range? just want to confirm, and how does the sun travel with respect to your home? wondering if it will hit any of your family room walls for a long period of time. It would help to know the dimensions of your current items/appliances you currently have that you wish to incorporate into your new design, so that designers on this platform can help you with the rest.

• Sarah

Thank you for responding to my post. I'm attaching my current 1st floor layout. My 27" double oven is separate from my 36" cook top. I also have a 36" fridge and 24" dishwasher. The one window in my kitchen will be 47 1/4" and I have 7 1/2' ceilings. Thank you for any advice you can provide.

• Sarah

As for sun exposure, the right side of the house (family room and garage) receive eastern exposure.

Building Quality Homes, LLC

Here is just one idea, walking space is about 4' between island and its surroundings. Pantry is 24" x 7'. About the windows in the family room, if you are only getting morning sun on that room, it shouldn't get that warm, north wall windows would be optimum, then again I have no idea what kind of view you will be having. Also, might want to have someone check your A/C unit and vents to make sure it's adequate for the added house volume. Hope this helps, and good luck on your project.

Sarah thanked Building Quality Homes, LLC
  • jdgail

Glad you moved the door to the deck but I would swing it on around into the family room and gain that much more room for cabinetry/cooktop to the right of the sink. Fridge and ovens on short kitchen wall. Place the TV on the 23' back wall. Then float your sofa/sectional (L of sectional along back 17'3" wall) facing with the new door behind it and chairs along garage wall. Would also allow for viewing from the island.

Sarah thanked jdgail
  • jdgail

Forgot to mention pantry where door was in kitchen or you could build in cabinetry along garage dining wall - 2 pantry cabinets with buffet built in between.

Sarah thanked jdgail
  • ccwatters

Is your coat closet walls providing any structural (load-bearing support for second floor)?

Also, what is the doorway under the stairs?

GreenDesigns

Are you not working with an architect or kitchen designer?

• Sarah

Yes, I plan to work with an architect and builder, but I want to get other opinions as well.

• Sarah

ccwatters - I'm not sure about the wall with the coat closet, but do not want to take that down.

• Sarah

BuildingQualityHomes - thank you so much for the sketch...I like the layout.

• live_wire_oak

You don't take a sandwich to a banquet. A good architect doesn't need ideas. That is what they provide.

Adding on to a home and the architect come first before getting bogged down in the details. Do you even know the setbacks? The required pervious lot coverage? The location of the home's main drain? The ampacity of the service? The roof structure and orientation with regards to the ease or lack of it for an addition?

You have a very high dollar project here. And the first stop should be professional help. It's the difference between getting attached to a 500K idea that doesn't work with the above, or a 150K idea that looks at the actual project limiting parameters first, before designing.

Building Quality Homes, LLC
    Glad you liked the layout, and I'm sure you know there's only so much we can do to help through this platform; you asked for ideas and I simply provided one. I am nobody to say it's the best or if it's even possible since I do not know your actual constraints. I would like to say something encouraging though...I'm a Civil Engineer, architecture is not my profession, in fact although I am an engineer I prefer construction management, thus I established a general contracting company; however I usually sit with clients and design with them, then simply take my drawings to an architect so I could get some construction plans done; there are many ways to approach a project and sometimes..architects like my "sandwiches." Don't be discouraged, I reiterate, there's only so much we can do through this platform, you will find out what you are limited to once you start working with your local professional, doesn't hurt to show them what you would like. Good Luck!!
  • ccwatters

I think it's awesome that Building Quality Homes took the time to give you that great visual. I also see nothing wrong with getting all your ideas together before you go meet with your builder/achitect...it's what I did before I met with someone who built me an entire 2700 sq ft cottage. I walked into the appointment with a full 2-story layout on my graph paper, he was awesome about it. He made sure it was a structurally sound plan and offered great advice, but what started on graph paper had us one year later spending our first summer in it.

The reason I asked about the coat closet is because as it stands now, you don't have much clearance for an island. If you take about a foot off of the closet though, an island would work just fine.

Also, if you move that door to your deck to the family room (I think someone else mentioned this too) you have room for a pantry....otherwise it could be a bit tight. What is the door under the stairway?

Sarah thanked ccwatters
  • backyardfeast

OP, this may be a bigger scope than you're looking for, but have you thought about moving your kitchen and dining area into your current family room? This might not be possible if you have a fireplace etc as your current sketch seems to show, but if that's getting changed too, that would be what I would do.

By my math, in your current kitchen space you don't have room for an island. In 8'8", you need 2'+ for your counter run, then 42-48" for your aisle, which leaves about 30" for an island, and only then if you use the entrance to your dining area as your walkway around the back of the island. It would very tight, and I'm not sure much of an improvement.

Moving into the very large family room, though, now that has a lot of potential...

Sarah thanked backyardfeast
  • ccwatters

This is a rough sketch of your space (per your measurements in original question) and how you could lay it out if you trim the coat closet back. The dotted lines are where it currently is, the bold line is where I would trim it to. By doing this you can fit a nice island in there with acceptable clearances and room for seating too. The only thing lacking is a pantry, but you can keep baking items in the (2) 36" drawer banks that are sided by side on the working side of your island. Again, you could move your door to the deck over around the corner in the family room, leaving room for a pantry where current door is.

Sarah thanked ccwatters
  • Sarah

Wow, I can't thank "some of you" enough! BuildingQualityHomes, ccwaters, jdgail and backyardfeast....you have given me a lot to think about and exactly what I was looking for...ideas to bring to my architect and builder. I just didn't want to go into the meeting uninformed and at their mercy. I know they're the professionals, but there are many ways to approach a remodel and I like to get ideas from multiple sources. It will only ensure that we do what's best for us.

I can't thank BuildingQualityHomes and ccwaters for taking the time to provide visuals....I am so very grateful.

Many, many thanks!

P.S. ccwaters - the doorway under the stairs leads to the basement.

• ccwatters

Good luck Sarah and have fun with it, very exciting :)