0

Alocasia Polly (Elephant Ear plant) drooping 2 leaves turning yellow

Jacqui
last modified: January 10, 2019

Seeking advice! I'm completely new to this type of plant and reading online hasn't helped much. Would really appreciate some advice:

I picked up this Alocasia just over a month ago and it has seemed happy until this week... 2 of it's smaller, lower leaves started to droop and wouldn't prick up again with some water. New development this morning, both of the droopy leaves are going yellow :(

--------------------------------------------------------------

***before they turned yellow**:

I suspected it was thirsty since I read that's a major indicator for droopy leaves on this type of plant. I hadn't watered it since purchase so this was my first watering, didn't seem to help. (Using my soil moisture gauge it was still showing suitable moisture levels from time of purchase)

I assumed the watering would help (at all?) but it didn't.

No other signs of injury or stress on the plant... no visible pests, and I did dig around the soil for any suckers trying to hide.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Well, they do need more water than once a month. What kind of light and temps is/was it exposed to?

tj

• Gudang TropEq

This fast growing plant not keep it's leaves for long. Leaves come n go rapidly. No problem with those drooping leaves. The problem is if it doesn't produce new leaves after a while.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)

Pls see related conversation, let's see if I can provide a link to it:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5583066/alocasia-amazonica-polly-advice-please#n=4

• Paul MI

Looks like older leaves dying off. No biggie. However, these plants don't typically carry a lot of leaves per stem to begin with ... particularly when grown indoors. They like it hot and bright. Avoid direct, hot afternoon sun.