0

Orientation of continuous floor design for the whole house

abiel woldu

Hi folks,
I'm going to install continuous floor vinyl planks on my house. Now I have to choose the trying to choose the plunk orientation.I heard if you install in one room the plunks should be parallel to the long side of the room. But what happens if you want to install continuous floor where some rooms are long but others are wide?
To be more specific this is my floor design and I tried to draw both orientations. How do I choose which one is right for me?
Option 1. Vertical

Option 2. Horizontal

The drawings are not perfect -- I did this quickly just to give me an idea, but the closets and entrance to the bathroom etc will all be part of the continuous floor.
I plan to do the stony oak vinyl floor. All input, comment, question and advise are welcome.
Thanks in advance,

Abi

• mindshift

I vote for Option 2 because your longest walls are in the living room and the hall. The bedrooms will appear to be nearly square once the closet doors are on, and your kitchen floor will be at least partially covered by cabinets and major appliances.

abiel woldu thanked mindshift
  • luscious111
    Option 2.
    abiel woldu thanked luscious111
    abiel woldu thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • sheepla

Option 2...I would let the hallway dictate the design.

abiel woldu thanked sheepla
  • abiel woldu thanked ci_lantro
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc

It's unanimous, #2.

abiel woldu thanked Johnson Flooring Co Inc
  • abiel woldu thanked ldecor54
  • abiel woldu thanked chiflipper
  • abiel woldu thanked groveraxle
  • floorfreak

2 will make the area appear larger. Make sure if you're going with a "click" vinyl installation, you're aware of length limitations. Some vinyl products can be laid no more than 30 feet before you have a transition break, other products upwards of 50.

abiel woldu thanked floorfreak
  • abiel woldu

Thanks all for the advice. I'll go with horizontal orientation (option 2).

Thanks @floorfreak I'll be using Stony Oak Gray Vinyl -- Home Decorator from Home Depot. The specification doesn't say anything about installation-length-limitation.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Stony-Oak-Grey-6-in-x-36-in-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-20-34-sq-ft-case-60198/207047495

• floorfreak

It probably won't, message me directly and I'll see what I can find out.

abiel woldu thanked floorfreak