0

Should I keep 5 cabinet doors or change to 6 cabinet doors?

Amy

Hello all! We are redoing our kitchen after a leak and decided to change everything. We currently have 5 large cabinet doors (24W X 39.5L). The contractor suggested we do 6 doors instead and make the middle two doors glass. If we do 6 doors they will be 19W X 38L. Is that too skinny? It is so hard to visualize! What do you think? Also, if we do 5 doors we may still make one door a glass door (in the middle). 5 or 6 doors? What do you think? Here is a photo of our current 5 doors (don't mind the mess...all our lowers have been ripped out).

• Heather N

What’s going on the bottom? They should line up with the lower cabinets in some way.

• Amy
    All my lowers were ripped out due to a leak. We had mostly drawers and one cabinet on the lowers. I’m gonna see if I can post an old photo.
    Beth H. :

keep it how it is. (5) It looks nice.

if you want the glass, I'd do the single one on the left, like this

or do the left, and the two next to it, like here:

• wilson853

That wall would be a perfect spot for a cooktop and hood.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

So you could do 3 large cabinets, each with 2 18" doors. I think that would look nice, with the middle cabinet having glass doors. The only way to really "visualize" it is to draw it out to scale. Can you or your contractor do that?

• Heather N

Sorry about your leak, they're the worst!!! In your old photos, it looked like the top lined up with the bottom, which I think looks good. It would look odd if the top cabinets didn't relate in some way to the bottom cabinets. I agree with a previous poster that it would be a perfect spot for a range if you're able to move it there! It looks like your cooktop is on your kitchen island now, but without a ventilation hood, so putting it on that wall with a proper exhaust hood would make sense. Agree that you should get a kitchen designer to lay out the cabinets or do it yourself in an online 3D program, that will help to visualize things.

• Amy
    Yes, I know the stove top/range would like nice on the wall...but I enjoy it on the island. I like to be able to look into my family room or at the kitchen table while cooking. I have a 2 and 4 year old. If I put it on the wall I’ll be looking at the wall while cooking.
  • wilson853

You don't have much space around your cooktop on the island, so for safety sake, especially with little ones around, I would seriously consider moving it.

• Amy
    J Design.... what do you think of making the center door a glass door if i keep 5 doors? Thank you
  • Heather N

I would like open shelves instead of a glass door if it is in the center just so it looks symmetrical but I like the idea of something open in the middle

• shead

Personally, I think doors over 18” are too big. Instead of thinking in terms of 6 individual cabinets, think in terms of doing larger cabinets with two doors like has been mentioned. 18” doors would be perfect. Three 36” double door cabinets = six 18” doors.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

How are you losing storage if you do three large cabinets, with 2 18" doors each???? Actually on second thought, you might gain storage by having 3 cabinets instead of 5.

• Amy

I don’t feel like three large doors and two smaller doors would look very symmetrical. I’d have two large doors on one side of the glass doors and one large door on the other side of the glass . Shouldn’t it be balanced?

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Amy, I wasn't suggesting having 3 large doors and 2 smaller doors. Now you have 5 24" doors, for a total of about 10 feet of cabinetry. You could change that to 3 cabinets of about 40" each. Each of the 3 cabinets has 2 doors of 20" each. You still have symmetry and balance, and 10 feet of cabinetry. Does that clarify?

Also the middle cabinet could have glass doors.

• Amy

Bump

Debbi Washburn

Since you already have 24" wide doors then you are used to them. I have a 21" door and hate it... I fell like I have to stand away from the counter or lean back because it swings out past the countertop. Either way, doing a glass door in the middle or open shelves would be nice to break it up...

Good luck!

• Amy
    Diana....thank you for clarifying!! Our contractor said 3 cabinets, 6 doors would be 19”. Not sure why they wouldn’t be 20” though. We’ll have to ask him.
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Probably because the doors are smaller than the frame. I was only using an estimate, as I'm not on site to measure.

• Amy

Debbi....I don’t understand what you mean? Your doors are smaller now why would you have to stand or lean back?

• wilson853

I would go with a 15" deep double door cabinet on each end, no wider than 39" and fill in the middle with something like this to give you a taller, leaner look. Even if you go with glass in the middle, I would I step it in a couple of inches in the middle to add some interest. Your bottom cabinets do not have to line up with the top.

Indian Hill Classic Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Debbi Washburn

Sorry I was trying to explain my experience with my 21" wide doors... I just reread what I wrote and it sounds confusing. Your base cabinet + counter are almost 26" deep the wall cabinet is 12. When you open a 24" wide door it projects past the countertop edge by about 10 " . The way the cabinet is positioned in my kitchen I find that I am standing right at the edge of the counter so I have to lean to open the door in front of me...

Hope that is less confusing? Here is my visual aid! LOL

• jdgail

Family · More Info

This is 72" wide with 18' doors....yours is 120"w/6..20" doors ....I think it would look great making middle 2 doors glass...are the shelves behind the doors continuous or do you have individual cabinet boxes.

• Amy
    Thenak you Debbi! So you think 21” is even too wide....? Just to clarify..?
  • jdgail

How do the shelves inside run? Are they continuous or in smaller boxes.

If continuous, 6 doors with the middle 2 being glass would look excellent and 20/21" per door is not too wide.

Amy thanked jdgail
  • Amy

Jdgail he’s rebuilding the shelves so i guess they’ll be continuous or whichever way is best...?

• jdgail

Basically 3 40" boxes each w 2 20" doors. Place handles for each box together like my glass doors. Love the X doors Beth posted above..Mini kitchen make over at the right price :)

It'll look great!

JAN MOYER

Re think the entire wall, with a relocation of cook top, and venting. To that wall. Even the down draft would be better on that wall. Then figure out the cabinetry. It's an opprortunity for a more enjoyable island.........if resources allow

• shead

Jan makes a wonderful point about getting that cooktop out of the island!

Debbi Washburn

Amy - you do what you are comfortable with - I was just pointing out my issue... You already have wide doors there so you are used to that size. I think there are lots of great suggestions, now you have to choose one! :)

• Amy

Thank you Debbi! We actually like the idea of changing our doors to 6 with the middle cabinet being glass doors. We’re just a little worried because we are so used to the large doors that they may look small/skinny to us. Lol

Debbi Washburn

Go visit some neighbors or local open houses and bring your tape measure! A computer is of no assistance in this situation...

Amy thanked Debbi Washburn