0

Time for Mauve, Purple and Lavender Roses

sara_ann-z6bok

I know others have some real beauties in this color class, so please share!

NEPTUNE - First year for this one, love the blooms and the intense fragrance.

PERFECT PLUM - Second year for this one, didn’t bloom much this past season since I transplanted it.

LAGERFELD - I’m looking forward to seeing what this beauty does, love the fragrance

ROYAL AMETHYST - Love the blooms and fragrance, but the bush is puny.

MELODEE PARFUMME- This one has been a very good rose, love the fragrance.

VIOLET’S PRIDE - New in 2018, prettier than it shows in photos IMHO.

LOVE SONG - Love the blooms

TWILIGHT ZONE - This one Is looking good right now and at times will seem like it’s going to really start blooming more, I‘m hopeful it will, that would make me happy!

POSEIDON - My most vigorous in this color class, sometimes I love the blooms, other times not so much!

REINE DES VIOLETTES - A beautiful rose!

• Tammy (southern Ontario 5/6)

These are all so beautiful. I'm eying that Plum Perfect one lately.

I only have two in the purple category.

Quicksilver

Ascot

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Tammy (southern Ontario 5/6)
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

All of this are son wonderfu! I don’t know what color is my favorite. My go to response is white but then I see these...

The house is relatively clean :) and the baby is sleeping so I’m gonna go look on my phone to see if I have any purple to post

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Also wanted to say SO tempted by Munstead Wood but am fearful if would go red. So if anyone has an opinion on how it would be affected color wise in WesternWashington soil feel free to pipe in!

Plum Perfect. Only negative for me is lack of scent. It’s in a bed with QuickSilver, BlueGirl, EbbTide and SweetSummerLove clematis so I’m hoping they can take over in the fragrance department.

EnchantedEvening. Looking more pink than purple but smelling so good!

EnchantedEvening looking a little more purple.

BlueGirl. At this point my overall favorite purple for lusciousness of bloom and depth of fragrance

sara_ann-z6bok thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • lkayetwvz5

Only have two 'purple' roses right now. Neither produced much in the way of flowers this year. Lavender Crush is new. Cardinale de Richelieu is 25 years old at least and dwindling. I have Poseidon, QuickSilver and Love Song on order for spring.

Cardinal de Richelieu

Lavender Crush (was horribly diseased and spotted and defoliated until I planted it in the ground and it straightened out and had no more problems)

sara_ann-z6bok thanked lkayetwvz5
  • erasmus_gw

Charles de Gaulle Blooms are beautiful, my plant is small.

Purple Lodge Not growing fast but reblooms well:

Chartreuse de Parme Purplish deep pink, very nice fragrance and rebloom:

Cardinal de Richelieu

Seedling of Louis XIV I named after my late dog, Jack. It might be a climber, has a lot of vigor. Very small blooms.

Jack Daniel

sara_ann-z6bok thanked erasmus_gw
  • steve_gw

My Olivia Rose - Miniature

sara_ann-z6bok thanked steve_gw
  • vaporvac

Jack's a lovely rose named after a handsome fellow! What a sweet testament.

This is one colour I can immediately post as I only have one ... Violet's Pride. I do have Munstead Wood, but never really consider it purple, but more of a wine colour here.

Here Are some at different stages. Click to see full photo.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked vaporvac
  • sara_ann-z6bok thanked vaporvac
  • sara_ann-z6bok thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • Sylvia Wendel

Ebb Tide, my only true purple, last spring. During the summer it was mostly magenta-pink.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Sylvia Wendel
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Erasmus, I really love a smiling dog. He must have been a happy doggie.

Chartreuse De Parme is spectacular!

Is Palatine the only one that carries it ?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

There is a site called Direct sales , Delbard. Anyone one heard of this site ?

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Jack the rose is every bit as beautiful as Tuscany Superb, erasmus. That's such a meaningful remembrance.

Lavender Crush is in the garage waiting for spring, thanks to an especially thoughtful friend who goes by Lilyfinch.

Twilight Zone

Quicksilver

Munstead Wood - more red than purple to me.

Plum Perfect

sara_ann-z6bok thanked flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW
  • bart_2015

Love 'em all! Wish Jack Daniel was available to me; it's beautiful, and so was your sweet little dog.

• sara_ann-z6bok

So many beauties here. I love the rich tones of some, especially Munstead Wood, Purple Lodge and Twilight Zone and Quicksilver looks like a good one. Thanks so much everyone, keep them coming!

(I noticed I got the name transposed on Plum Perfect!)

• erasmus_gw

Thank you about Jack the dog and Jack the rose. He was a great dog, loved by all of us. Never thought I'd love another dog. He had a lot of personality, good disposition, smarts, and loved cheese.

I think Roses Unlimited carries Chartreuse de Parme. It's an excellent rose. Those pics are just beautiful, flowers.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

You guys have me adding to my lavender/purple list!

Blue Girl

Reines des Violettes

Stainless Steel

Quicksilver

Poseidon Cl

Angel Face

Spirit of Freedom..starts out light pink and ages to lilac pink. She has about 200 petals!!

Blue Girl (left) next to SoF (right) for color comparison

Young Lycidas gets purple tones in cooler weather

sara_ann-z6bok thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

No Chartreuse de Parme at Roses Unlimited but available at a place called Roses Direct. Never heard of them as no one on here has mentioned them that I can remember.

I will see if I can look up their site.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Flowers, it looks like you live in an enchanted forest. What a beautiful backdrop for your roses.

Your picture of Twilight Zone would send me right to the catalogue to order it if I didnt already have it and love it.

Your photography skills are stunning!

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Flowers I’m hoping my TwilightZone looks just like yours. I’m venturing into the darker purple waters with a lot of trepidation-I will be so bummed if they just turn red.

• Deborah KYzone6

Wow! Another good topic and what gorgeous roses. Here are some from my garden.

Basye’s Purple

Etienne.

Heritage. Love this one, but it is not hardy here, so I buy a body bag and treat it like an annual.

General Jacqueminot, one of my favorites.

Tuscany Superb.

Quicksilver

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Kristine, it's a forest all right, but only enchanted when fog hangs low among the trees and it looks like The Shire - or a scary movie when the girl is running from the monster. But, all those pine needles are more of a nightmare. I can't take credit for the photos. These smart phones are as good as real cameras. I have a real camera that I never take the time to go get because I always have my phone in my pocket.

Oursteelers, Twilight Z is a good one! Mine was set on fire with the weed torch when it was band size. There was one little surviving cane. It came back so quickly I could hardly believe it. It's still small, but healthy. I took the photos at dusk, in the fall, when it was cooler, so they were very dark.

• Deborah KYzone6

Part 2. My first attempt did not post, so I am splitting up the photos.

Plum perfect

Lavender Veranda

Umbra

Captaine John Ingram

Cardinal de Richelieu

Charles de Mills and the Clematis Romantika

Another of Etienne, such a great rose.

Stormy Weather

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Deborah KYzone6
  • flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Deborah, is Basye's Purple grafted or own root? Much winter dieback? I'd buy it for those stamens alone.

• vaporvac

Gee Ky, those are gorgeous! You reminded me of another purple I have, Basye's Purple. Does this mean I have too many when I forget those I have? : ( Excuse the violets.... it's at the top of a steep hill and I don't spend much time there.

And since this seems to be the place to post pics of Munstead, here's one of her looking particularly purple. : )

P.S. I love Etienne! I'd be interested in hearing any and all you care to share, Kentucky.

• vaporvac

Flowers, I DID buy it for its stamens! They reminded me of some antique passementerie and I had to have it! Mine is OR from ARE.

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Vapor, that's exactly what I was thinking but I didn't know how to spell it. Or, like frayed antique silk ribbon. Passion Flower stamens have a similar look.

• Jen Littell-Allen

Deborah, that combination of Charles de Mills and the Clematis Romantika is stunning. Where did you find this old rose? It's beautiful.

• Deborah KYzone6

Flowers, Basye’s Purple is own root and I have not seen any dieback, although it is in a protected spot. I don’t see many of the lovely blooms, unfortunately. Probably too much shade.

Vaporvac, Etienne is a Barden gallica, as you probably know, and like the other Bardens I grow it is a healthy plant and a generous bloomer. It blooms a little later than Umbra, Therese Bugnet and Ispahan; which are my first roses to bloom. (if that tells you anything) I find that it has a nice, shapely growth pattern and I expect it will be a very nice mature shrub.

Jen, thank you. I plant clematis with a lot of my roses and Romantika works well as it has such a long bloom period. As for CDM, which I love, I think it came from Rogue Valley Roses.

• palytoxin

I don’t have many in this color group, so I have dig back a few years.

Angel face. She didn’t make it through the tough winter last year, and with her poor disease resistanc, I have no plan for replacemen. But I do miss her fragrance.

Lavender crush. She was a one cane wonder after last winter, and I moved her to my ”elephants graveyard“ area planning for its end.

Munatead Wood. This is her usual color in my garden till very late in the season.

Lavender veranda. New last year, and now I regret getting her instead of Plum Perfect or Violet‘s Pride.

Looks like I need to add a few in this color group :)

Claire

sara_ann-z6bok thanked palytoxin
  • Amanda Zone10Socal

The only purple I’ve gotten any flowers from so far is Young Lycidas, these are pics from today

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Thanks, Deborah. for the info about Basye's Purple. If I get one, it will probably be own root. Rugosas do pretty well here. I would love to hear she blooms more, but you can't have everything. A garden blogger, Hedgerow Rose, recommends it highly.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Boy, am I late to the party, but I have to check in to this thread that shows some of my favorite colored roses. Sara Ann, you know I love your beautiful Neptune, and Plum Perfect is a perfect plum. Really luscious with all those petals. All your purples and lavenders are lovely, in fact.

Deborah, I've never paid a lot of attention to Basye's Purple, but yours is a stunning rose. Must check it out.

Flowers, all your roses are luscious--I just want to sink my fingers into some of those blooms, especially Plum Perfect. Actually, any of them. I agree Munstead Wood seems more red than purple to me, though it can get really dark.

Palytoxin, love Lavender Veranda. In fact, I love everyone's contributions to this thread. Go purple.

I have problems posting photos with text, and with more than four photos at a time. what a pain. So some photos to follow. Diane

sara_ann-z6bok thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • sara_ann-z6bok thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

I guess I need to identify my roses. First shown is Twilight Zone; next, Angel Face; then Love Song, and finally, Ebb Tide. Thanks for sticking with all these posts. Diane

• vaporvac

Who could pick a favorite Diane? Do you have one?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

vapor, my favorite is Twilight Zone, and of the dark reds, Munstead Wood. I loved your winter scene, vapor, on the seasonal thread, by the way. Diane

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Diane, there are no words! Just clicking 'like' isn't good enough. We need something to click for 'exceptional', 'phenomenal' and 'outstanding'! Honestly, I've never seen roses bloom like yours!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Ah geez, flowers, come on. If you could only see the mess outside now. Plus, I love your roses and your storybook setting. But thank you. Diane

• vaporvac

tammy, I meant to say earlier what an outstanding example of Quicksilver you have and how beautifully it complements your house/shutters. Absolutely charming. I hope mine will do as well.

I wanted to say that here in lime country Basye's Purple is doing pretty well even in a slightly shaded area. I hope to get cuttings for a sunnier spot, but it's a rose I can forget about and it seems to do fine.

Here Munstead is never red. When it's very hot and sunny it's more of a fuchsia.

• sara_ann-z6bok

So many beautiful roses in this color class. Thanks again everyone!

• Tammy (southern Ontario 5/6)

Vaporvac, thank you so much. The turquoise is on my garden shed. I thought a purple climber would compliment it perfectly.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Diane, your purple roses are what dreams are made of. Just perfect.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Does Quicksilver need to be trellised ir can it stand alone ?

• Deborah KYzone6

Diane your photos are just gorgeous.

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Kristine, my oldest Quicksilver is only 3 yrs old, but, for what it's worth, it is standing alone. I hope it will reach the pickets this year, but it is definitely upright, I wouldn't hesitate to grow it as a shrub with arching canes. That's basically what I have so far. It's about 5' tall x 3' wide, and nice and full all the way to the base.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

Love Song

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

JC, your Love Song is so pretty. Some have said that after a few years it blooms less. Have you noticed that?

It is just such a beautiful rose.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

I actually had 2 of them and they were new this year. They came potted up and were already blooming like crazy.

Unfortunately, I have no personal experince with an aged Love Song, but the new ones were just as reliable and profuse as my double knock outs.