0

Should tile go above kitchen cabinets that dont go to ceiling?

dgjq1226

There's a large 20 inch space above my kitchen cabinets (w/moulding at the top of the cabinets) to the ceiling. I am putting a backsplash above the counters and am leaning toward tiling all the way to the ceiling, even above the cabinets. Is that "normal" or a "no-no"?

• Sammie J

It depends on the design of your kitchen. Please post pictures.

dgjq1226 thanked Sammie J
    GN Builders L.L.C

Never seen anyone do that or request, the only area being tiled to the ceiling if there is a hood fan above without the cabinet.

But if you like the look and don't mind paying, its up to you, it's all about personal preference.

dgjq1226 thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • Karen Rose
    No, do not put tile above the cabinets. The only place I’ve seen that is either with a hood or shelving.
    dgjq1226 thanked Karen Rose
    Debbi Washburn

Depending on your layout and design pallet, it could look awesome!

Good luck!

dgjq1226 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • dgjq1226

That last photo from Debbi is a similar feel/look I'm going for! Thanks. Sammie J - Here are 2 current pics. There a large stainless topped island in the middle. Replacing countertops with black quartz or granite.

• cpaul1

Well, I have to admit my initial reaction is that I wouldn't do that. But after looking at the pictures others provided and giving it some thought, if you're okay with the additional expense, and understanding that I would rather have cabinets that DID go all the way to the ceiling, I can see it. What I will say it does is .... it solves for the problem I think a lot of people struggle with in terms of how to "decorate" the tops of their kitchen cabinets that don't go all the way to the ceiling. With the tile up there it doesn't look so blank and so in need of trying to put something up there that doesn't look dated and that will just wind up getting dusty and dirty. I also don't like putting things up there because it just makes your eye look up there and there is no reason you should be drawing your eye up there. I also think the all-wall tile will make the space look bigger. So in the end, I say you may be on to something that maybe we will start to see more of.

dgjq1226 thanked cpaul1
  • hollybar

I have seen this done fairly often in pics. One thing I'd do in your space is lose the upper cab that is between the window and frig. (wondering about oppsite side of window) Basically adding more sweep to the tile to the ceiling look.

dgjq1226 thanked hollybar
    Flo Mangan
    It is done but select tile carefully. There are many ways to get a good look, even with subway tiles and use a dark gray grout. Shop around for pictures to get the look you desire. Good luck.
    dgjq1226 thanked Flo Mangan
    Debbi Washburn

Are you crafty or do you have kids?? Draw up picture of subway tile and either make copies or drawer on sheets of butchers paper and just tape it all over the backsplash and the top and live with it... see what you think!

dgjq1226 thanked Debbi Washburn
    Debbi Washburn

When you replace your tops, please do not do that small backsplash piece. Take the tile from the deck up. Here's a crude mock up...

dgjq1226 thanked Debbi Washburn