0

Kitchen Layout of my new home. This is the floor plan of the existing

berijoan

I need help on my Kitchen layout. This is the floor plan of the existing

• Jamie Ludwig

Get a good kitchen designer to help if you really want it done right. You need to account for work zones, storage and traffic flow in and out of the room. Looks like, from the floor plan you posted, that you are dealing with several doors and windows too. Is this a new build or remodeling an extisting kitchen? Is this an eat in kitchen? Do you want an island? Are any of the doors shown exteror? Where do the interior doors lead to?

• berijoan

Thanks Jamie for the quick reaction, First it is a kitchen with a breakfast corner, Yes there are three doors and three windows. Yes I want an Island, one door is an exterior Door the leftmost door near the big window. Finally its a new building.

Thanks again

• berijoan

Measurements are in metrics

• Jamie Ludwig

Not sure what the bump out on the left side is? Bay window? Fire place?

• berijoan

Bay window

The Kitchen Design Company

Dear Berijoan,

Draw in your existing kitchen appliances and cabinetry. It's easier to begin with a layout than an empty space. Also show adjacent rooms and outdoor space (at least label them) so your kitchen will be shown in context to the rest of your home.

You'll also get more comments if your post your existing kitchen layout.

I believe the best way to start your new kitchen design is to analyze your existing kitchen. To see what performance benefits and performance problems it has.

If you make two lists you now know with certainty what benefits you'd like to keep, that you would miss if not reproduced. And what performance problems you need to resolve, fix, or eliminate. To get to the perfect layout for you and the space you have to work with.

Now all you have to do is create a layout, or several unique arrangements of appliances and cabinetry, that keeps the benefits and resolves the problems you have with your existing kitchen's layout. You do this by space planning.

Starting with your existing layout you are going to rearrange your major appliances and cabinetry to create as many uniquely different arrangements or layouts as possible that resolve your kitchen's performance problems.

If you do this thoroughly you should be able to create about 4 or 5 uniquely different layouts, that will produce 4 or 5 uniquely different kitchens, for you to directly compare and by process of elimination decide which one works best for you. Once you have your perfect kitchen plan the rest, interior elevations and perspective drawings, is relatively easy.

Doing exhaustive space planning is the most time consuming part of kitchen design and I believe the most critical, because your new layout is your new kitchen.

Do you think you would be better off if you get to see 1 or 2 new kitchen layouts and asked to pick one? Or if you get to see and compare 3, 4, 5, or as many as possible, and then decide which one is best for you?

If you practice exhaustive space planning or hire a designer who does. You’ll know for certain you have the best possible solution for your new kitchen layout, because you have seen and compared all of your new kitchen options.

Hope this has been helpful.

Joe Brandao

Kitchen Design Company

berijoan thanked The Kitchen Design Company
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

This FAQ thread in the Kitchen forum is a great place to start,

New to Kitchen forum? Read me first!

berijoan thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • berijoan

Kitchen Design Company, thank you very much. My kitchen is new and not being used yet. There are no existing appliances or cabinets. For now just the floor plan exist. I had some layout sketched which I can share, but I have a feeling I can get something better. Your proposals are noted and I think if I get layouts to choose from it will help. Your suggestions are very helpful. I will start by labeling adjacent rooms. Thanks I will be happy for any further help.

• berijoan

I am updating the floor plan as suggested here. hope this helps.

Finally its a new building.

Is this new construction? Or a new-to-you house/apartment? Is there anything currently in the kitchen right now? Does the layout in your last post show how things are currently set-up or one of the possibilities you're considering?

How many people will use this kitchen? What sort of cooking do you do? Do you reheat takeout/takeaway, cook one or two or three meals a day from scratch, or just love to bake?

Also, what country are you in, what's the climate, and does this affect what you cook? For example, I live on a farm on the Canadian prairies, so I do a lot of canning and preserving, and we also make a lot of sausage from our beef cattle, pork from neighbours, and venison we hunt in the fall. And we live a fair distance from town so don't shop for groceries very often. So I planned on storage and work surfaces to take this into account. I used to live in NYC, and used to shop for groceries almost daily on the way home from work, so I didn't need much storage space then for food.

• berijoan

Thank you Beckyshap. Yes it is a new construction, never used. There is nothing in the setup for now, this was just possible considerations. This is a family house of 6, and we cook all three meals from scratch. I do a balance of baking and cooking home food. I am ina tropical climate and this does not affect my cooking. I will wish to plan my kitchen in zones and since there is a breakfast nock, I would like to incorporate that in the design as well. The wall leading to the dining could serve as a breakfast zone, with Microwave, cabinets with glass, and to hold anything that has to do with break fast. Then a cleaning zone at the area where there is the bay window, cooking zone, prep zone, and storage zones too. Any idea with the arrangements will be highly welcomed.

For planning your kitchen layout and work zones, it's hard to beat the advice in this post, in addition to the Kitchen faqs.

Looking for layout help? Memorize this first: Ice. Water. Stone. Fire.

The Kitchen Design Company

Dear Berijoan,

Let’s analyze your existing layout.

Your work triangle is fair. The ref is 11’ (3.3 meters) away from your cook top 4’ (1.2 meters) from your sink, and the sink is 7’ (2.1 meters) from your cook top & ovens.

Appliance Requirements

Ref/f: the counter space to the right of your ref is only about 27” (67cm) which is too tight of a staging area for items to be taken out of the ref to be staged for use and then loaded back into the ref. The island counter is 6’ (1.8m) away too far to be used efficiently as a staging area.

Sink: There is plenty of counter to the right of the sink but only about 27” (67cm) to the left which is too small to have the sink used efficiently as a cleanup area. The island counter is 6’ (1.8m) away, too far to be used efficiently as a staging area.

Cook top/Oven: there is plenty of counter to the right and left of these two appliances to stage what is needed while using the cook top. And for prepping items going into the oven and for taking hot items out of the oven to cool. The island counter is 5’ (1.5m) away, too far to be used efficiently as a staging area.

Esthetically Performance

The ref/f appears to be free standing with a wall cabinet above it that is not as wide as the ref which will look awkward because the much smaller wall cabinet is overpowered by the large deep (36”)ref/f.

The sink is not centered on the large bay window and will look like a mistake. The angled corner base and wall cabinets seem out of place because nothing else is angled in the kitchen. Also the angled wall cabinet appears to be much deeper than the wall cabinets drawings attention to a corner that’s not attractive.

The cook top is also not centered on the wall and the wall cabinetry layout above the cook top doesn’t make sense. Wall cabinets do not align with the cook top for the hood and the varying depths also don’t make sense.

There is a wall cabinet to the left side of the cook top wall but no cabinet on the right. If that base cabinet is a tall cabinet it can’t be that close to the window.

The island is floating but not quite centered in the kitchen, and it will appear apart from the kitchen as opposed to being a part of it. Its shape is not a pleasing rectangle being about 4’w x 5’l. It’s small and will appear boxy.

The cabinetry on the wall shared with the dining room I’m not really sure what’s going on there.

Functional Performance

Storage: I don’t see a backup pantry in this kitchen. There could be one behind the door leading into the dining room. Is it big enough?

Preparation: The island is too far away to made its use efficient. Prep may be between the sink and cook top. The base left of the corner cabinet could have an in drawer knife block and in drawer spice storage. Also storage for mixing bowls, measuring, cups, oils, etc items that would be needed for food preparation. Sink and trash are there as well.

Cooking/Baking: On the cooking wall to the right of the cook top/ovens there is a wide cabinet for pot, pan, lids, and bake ware storage, as well as the corner cabinet to the left. There may also be room for active pantry items used frequently in baking.

There is a base cabinet on the left adjacent to the cook top that could house cooking utensils and small appliances. To use when cooking, baking, or prepping.

Delivering Service

Ref/f close to the outside, close to the breakfast table, far away from the dining room and further from the family rooms. Getting drinks and snacks to the family rooms is quite a walk.

Clean Up: On the clean up wall there is room for trash pull out bins, sink, and dishwasher, wall cabinets to the right for dish and glass storage. You’ll have to set the breakfast and dining tables from here.

With the small amount of counter to the left of the sink you’ll get jammed up when trying to use both sides of the sink, and quickly run out of counter space for staging items.

Without knowing what you are expecting to accomplish, and what you have in kitchen items, I can’t go too much further.

Hope this has been helpful.

Joe Brandao

Kitchen Design Company

• Jamie Ludwig

Berijoan, can you move or remove a window? If you can move your Frig to where the small window is (to the right of the stove) and elimate that window. Then turn the island so the cabinet side is facing the stove and get it closer to the stove so you can use it as a food prep space. This will give you more room on each side of the sink and the Frig. It will also get the Frig closer to the dining room

berijoan thanked Jamie Ludwig
  • berijoan

I have noted the observations and would take a close look at the plan again. I would like to thank Joe and Jamie.