0

Is this ceramic tile rectified?

Laura Grosmaire
last modified: January 11, 2019

I've gotten 2 different answers from MSI. . . but think I'm getting to the bottom of the mystery. Adella White comes in both a ceramic and porcelain tile. I was hoping to use the porcelain (for toughness)for the bath/shower alcove, but have yet to see it. MSI sent me home with the ceramic tile (after specifically saying I was looking for porcelain.)

In the meantime, I can't confirm whether it is or is not rectified from MSI. I'm awaiting a porcelain tile sample. I "think" this ceramic tile is rectified based on the edge, but I'm a rank novice. Can any tile people confirm?

(And I think the answer is that the porcelain tile (floor) is not rectified, but the ceramic tile (wall) is rectified, but have not definitively confirmed that.) The ceramic tile shown comes in 12x24, would you expect an 18x18 porcelain tile to not be rectified?

• ATT- LASS
    The tile you have there is not rectified. Rectified tiles are almost ridiculously smooth and pressed and can have a smaller grout line size between the tiles.
  • Laura Grosmaire

Thanks. The sides are very smooth. But that's relative! I showed the back because it is my understanding that this is another way to tell if tile is rectified due to the signs of sawing/grinding (affect on border pattern) as a function of post firing modification. But again, I'm a raging novice. . .

• ATT- LASS
    You want consistency throughout the hole tiled room. You run into rectified tile in porcelain tile is only less porous which makes porcelain more durable.
  • Laura Grosmaire

I understand that porcelain is fired at a higher temp which causes vitrification and thus is less porous (water absorbency) than ceramic tile. I understand tile "specs" (book learning, lol), just don't have "hands on" experience with tile. The tile shown above will be for the shower/bath alcove wall so I am looking for rectified w/large type planks to create minimal grout lines. What I showed above comes in 12x24. Not quite sure I understand your comment? Are you saying only porcelain tile is rectified?

Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.

You can get rectified in ceramic and porcelain (obviously you seem to understand that porcelain is a type of ceramic tile, processed differently), and of course stone. I can't tell from your photo but the best test is to take a framing or speed square and set it tight to two edges, length and width. If it's tight, doesn't move, that indicates rectified. Your pictures make we wonder if you are asking about gauge, or thickness, which is different. You are looking I think, for gauged and rectified.

• Laura Grosmaire

Thanks, Dragonfly, I was asking about whether or not it is rectified. The tile is 3/8 inch thick which is within the range of recommended thickness as I understand it (3/16-1/4 inch for floor), and this would be a wall. Is there a better photo angle to determine if it is rectified? I may have to find a tiler otherwise, and find out. . . I'll try your suggestion.

Oh, the manufacturer recommends a grout space of at least 1/8 inch. Any clue in there? Also not more than 33% overlap in a staggered configuration, but I assume that's about lippage.

https://cdn.msisurfaces.com/files/flyers/adella-porcelain-flyer.pdf

Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.

From afar, can't tell. Just do the flat and square test. Also sandwich them, one on top of the other (to test bow and gauge) and see how flat they are. Large format tile does suggest no more than 33% offset. Now honestly, a true tile professional (your installation contractor) will be advising you in person as they assist you in making the appropriate selection for your application and preferences. They may even require or prefer that you let them purchase the tile so they can take control of the myriad of issues related to the tile order itself (often with a trade discount at purchase). And the better and more experienced the tile contractor, the greater chance your "vision" will be accomplished. Good luck with your project.

• Laura Grosmaire

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your expertise.

For better or for worse, I tend to be an educated consumer...…….

Here's the square test, it looks pretty tight to my eye.

Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.

Good work. Looks rectified to me.

• Laura Grosmaire

Speaking of good work, I checked out your website. I would highly recommend anyone else following this thread to take a look. Artists.

Houzz is amazing.

• North Texan

Looked all over, found this from Tiles Bay dot Com. Look at the bottom...weird

"Adella 18" x 18" Porcelain Field Tile in White features a lovely white hue reminiscent of Italian marble. This large format rectangular tile is classic and contemporary all at once and pleasingly low maintenance and durable. Offering timeless appeal as it blends effortlessly with a range of color palettes and complements nearly any design aesthetic, Adella White 18x18 satin-finish tile is perfect for adding a touch of luxury to your space. Use it as backsplash in the kitchen, then create visual cohesion by presenting it on a feature wall in other areas of your home. Adella 18" x 18" Porcelain Field Tile in White is especially stunning in the bath when used as shower surround or wall tile to evoke a spa-like ambiance. Use this stylish marble-look tile on its own or mix and match it with a complementary floor and wall tiles from the Adella collection.
    Tiles Type : Glazed
    Finish : Matte
    Design Technique : Ink jet
    Rectification : Wall - Yes, Floor - No"

• Laura Grosmaire

Thanks, North Texan! I've talked to them about that, I alluded to it in my initial post (3rd paragraph between pictures). They got back with me and said that they made a mistake. The intent is the ceramic tile (best suited for walls) is rectified, and the porcelain tile (will stand up to floor use) is not rectified. The Adella White nomenclature is very confusing as they call both their ceramic and porcelain tile the same thing. In addition, their spec sheet doesn't contain this info.

MSI (US supplier, where I got the ceramic sample shown above) staff doesn't have it straight either. I got handed the ceramic tile when I specifically asked for porcelain, and I got 2 different answers from 2 different MSI people about whether or not it was rectified. Anyway, I typed a query to MSI on their "Contact Us" page, am hoping to clarify the status next week. I've requested a sample of the porcelain, haven't seen it yet!

I'm pretty at sure at this point, at least, that the ceramic is rectified! I hope so, really like it for our bathroom!

• ATT- LASS
    I hope dragonfly is right and your install doesn’t have lippage.....
  • Laura Grosmaire

Mr. Memes - Could you kindly explain to me the relationship between rectification and lippage?

Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.

Lippage problems are the result of the tile itself, including the format (not represented above as this was a smaller format example), and the methods and skill of the installer. Looks like the OP is doing her homework.

• ATT- LASS
    Rectified tile allows the grout lines to be highly minimal almost having the tiles touching each other. Rectified tiles are all cut exactly the same so if you thinset wrong or imperfections on floor underneath then you can get lippage from tile to tile. You need to understand why you want rectified tile before making your choice. I’ve seen a lot of home owners getting rectified tiles with out knowing and blaming a installer for lippage.