0

lighting and accessories for living room

Dave Tisdale

I would like to buy a new lamp for this room that we use for lounging and watching tv. What style and size would be best between the leather chairs? I would also like to replace the ceiling fan/light fixture. Also, how do I address the 3 smaller windows? I have new fabric pleated shades but they seem bare. Any suggestions are appreciated! Pics would be greatly appreciated as I have trouble visualizing ideas. Thank you!

• everdebz

Hi.. I see comfort in your room... most has a light appearance: carpet, walls....then dark chairs and fireplace, so would a color be good for lamp base?

Would a patterned window curtain help to bring together light and dark?

Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • Dave Tisdale

Would any of these fabrics work for the windows? I like the texture and heavier weight of the cotton twill.

Amazon.com: PRTW-D46B-84 Lacuna Printed Cotton Twill Curtain,Grey,50 X 84: Home · More Info

Amazon.com: PRTW-D46A-84 Lacuna Printed Cotton Twill Curtain,Sun,50 X 84: Home & · More Info

Amazon.com: PRCT-D09E-84 Edina Printed Cotton Curtain, Blue, 50" x 84": Home & K · More Info

Amazon.com: BOCH-KC16072-84 Blackout Curtain, Tea Time China Blue, 50 x 84: Home · More Info

• Dave Tisdale

more lamp ideas. . . what do you think?

Kathy Ireland Grand Maison Grey Table Lamp - #R5957 | Lamps Plus · More Info

Maison Loft Antique Brass Table Lamp by Franklin Iron Works - #6R009 | Lamps Plu · More Info

Jasmine Glazed White Ivory Ceramic Table Lamp - #44A32 | Lamps Plus · More Info

Uttermost Camellia Distressed Gloss White Ceramic Table Lamp - #13Y00 | Lamps Pl · More Info

• Dave Tisdale

I need help with accessorizing the fireplace as well. I am a design mess, lol. I don't want to paint the brick. Other than that, I am open to all suggestions.

• everdebz

Photo showing any art would help, as well as what room is opposite the fireplace [its colors and style is important]… yes?

Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

You need good advice. But when I looked at an 'orb' light, it didn't seem right with shapes I see. This type would imo complement the vaulted ceiling, and fp. Maybe would be called more 'focal' and substantial than an orb.

W 37.25" / H 31" / Gunmetal Bronze

Golden Lighting 2073-6 Smyth 6 Light Chandelier · More Info
    Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • Dave Tisdale

A small dining area is opposite the fireplace. The opening on the left (glass-pane french door) leads into the living room. Opposite the wall with the artwork is my kitchen.

Other artwork I have collected includes

Zambelli-Bassi Giclee Print by Achille Luciano Mauzan at Art.com · More Info

(I rotate this and the sailboats currently in the dining space.)

Kina Lillet Giclee Print by | Art.com · More Info

This is the artwork I have in my living room.

• everdebz

Maybe wonderful burnished wood and metal - more on the pretty side than last one - but idk maybe would 'show' better lighter, contrasting art [in your straight-on photo] - is it the same color as brick

W 26.38" / H 25.75"

6 Adan 6 Light Single Tier Chandelier · More Info
  • everdebz

Now I think a quality solid: linen, or slubbed-natural cotton?

Betsy Rod Pocket Linen Drape, Natural, 50"x96" · More Info

Claus "De Overstroming, 1892" Oil Painting, Unframed loose canvas · More Info
    Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

Odd, or not odd? I think the lamp is a small purchase - but your whites seem a bit dressy. The first 2 could be more 'striking' with much neutral in the room.

Stacked Mercury Glass Accent Lamp Silver, Basket Weave Shade · More Info
    Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

Or in your red art direction - this could look cozy warm. Are chairs leather?

Warehouse of Tiffany Maeve Tiffany Style 2 Light Red Table Lamp · More Info
    Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • tartanmeup

Great space! For the mantel, I'd find an unframed painting I loved and simply lean it against the wall. Figure out the best size with newspaper cutouts. Maybe one plant with that? (I don't like a lot of decor items because everything collects dust and I hate dusting.) I don't mind the brick. From what I can see on my monitor, it's a nice colour.

What colour are your walls though? I think they're off-white? I love all the patterned curtains you found but I'd want to make sure the background colour doesn't clash with the wall colour. If you do go with curtains, make sure your drapery rods aren't skimpy.

I like the Kathy Ireland lamp you found but not sure of the scale with your table. The gold lamp is nice as well. Have you thought of floor lamps? You'd have enough room for them.

The beaded chandelier everdebz found is gorgeous! Would suit the room perfectly. If you want to stick with a fan though, plenty of current streamlined options out there.

ETA: Floor lamp ideas below. (If it were my space, I'd be tempted to start with the art on the mantel and let that inform my drapery choice.)

Molded Metal Floor Lamp, Black · More Info

Versanora Cara Tripod Floor Lamp, Copper Shade, 62.2" · More Info
    (The above is available with a copper, gold or black shade.)

Bronze Repeat Floor Lamp · More Info

Dave Tisdale thanked tartanmeup
  • Dave Tisdale

I agree that the white lamps are too dressy. I like the stacked mercury glass lamp, especially the textured shade. What do you think? The walls are Sherwin Williams Canvas Tan(SW7531) a warm white. The chairs are leather.

family room · More Info

• Dave Tisdale

Or this?

family room · More Info

• Dave Tisdale

I think the beaded chandelier is beautiful, but I really need a ceiling fan for the living room. Something more updated. Maybe I could use the chandelier in my dining area. Or, what about the fixture on the right? My current fixture(center)is outdated.

Small Dining Area · More Info

• Dave Tisdale

Thanks for the idea of using a floor lamp in the living room. I hadn't thought of that. where would I place it?

• tartanmeup

I would place a floor lamp behind your table. Where it gives you light but out of the way. The table lamps look too large for your table though I think the Tiffany-style one everdebz found is the perfect scale. She's right: the red would look terrific in your room.

As for your dining room fixture, I don't find the chandelier itself dated. The shades are what give it a dated appearance. They can be replaced if budget is a consideration. Otherwise, yes, a drum fixture would look nice.

Dave Tisdale thanked tartanmeup
  • everdebz

The rope/ mercury glass lamp caught my eye for rustic room, and glad you like it. Seems with your table to form a nice look, a nice shape....?

I would hold off on table lamp and even floor lamp, because a liked ceiling fan is harder, esp. with light - you don't like current one?

I thought the chandelier was for the living room... well, I think beaded might be too chunky for dressier table set, and maybe too large. But the drum seems nice - size right?

Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

Next room! kitchen looks like what? painted or stained and lighting? If the doors close [into living room], maybe a dressier direction like dining set?

Combination of rustic, time-worn finishes like Distressed White Wood on the cascading beads, vintage-inspired French Washed Oak finish frame /candle tubes, and Weathered Iron chain / update of this classic light. The simple silhouette make it versatile / style casual, traditional, European farmhouse, or the shabby chic look. W 31" / D 31.25" / H 35.75"

6, Light Chandelier by Feiss, Wood Finish · More Info
    Beth H. :

Do a nice sofa and place it against your windows. find a place for that chair and small table elsewhere.

you sure you don't want to paint? it would really make a diff.

I do the brick, do some nice white trim around the windows and do a darker shade around the windows. And you could use a nice area rug

paint the other walls an off white, or do them all this smokey blue tone. look at the window trim. do your windows like this:

new fan, maybe a furniture arrangement like this, tv on the FP

I like the dark brick surrounding w/the white too

This is another option. on one side, you could do a smaller window (or both) and do a built-in cabinet to house the TV. It's a much cleaner option doing it this way. notice the furniture layout

another one. sofa in front of windows, console w/tv above it, on the large wall, chair in corner of window, plant, large rug, camel colored leather , new ceiling fan or chandelier

Dave Tisdale thanked Beth H. :
  • ptreckel
    I would take the two crockery jugs off your mantle and add them to the crock that you have on the bottom, right side of the hearth, forming a cluster of three similar pieces there. Leave the wreath And then stand back. Less is more!
    Dave Tisdale thanked ptreckel
  • everdebz

DR chandelier Esp. if you like boat, rope, ok in transitional way [they call it beach style, but I think it wider than that]

Corda Chandelier, 5-Light · More Info
    Dave Tisdale thanked everdebz
  • Dave Tisdale

Sorry, the wreath and greenery on the mantle are remnants from Christmas that I haven't put away yet. I do like the idea of less is more and the suggestion of putting the crockery all on the hearth. About the dining area chandelier, how could I update the current glass shades?

• tartanmeup

Take your current glass shade measurements and Google "replacement glass shades for chandelier". This is one site result. You're bound to find something somewhere. You want a more streamlined shade, without the flare on top. Clear shades create shadows on ceilings so many prefer frosted or opaque shades for dining rooms. Make sure whatever you order can be returned if you don't like the look of it. You might want to shop online for another chandelier you like to compare the cost of new vs revamping your current one.

Dave Tisdale thanked tartanmeup
  • Dave Tisdale

Still looking for the right table lamp. I would like to keep the budget max at $200.-$225. Do these work for the room or am I totally off base?This pic shows more of the room. Help me please.

family room · More Info

family room · More Info

family room · More Info

• everdebz

Sorry I don't see those in your rustic room.... about the lamps with gold trim...what about cowhide with gold, sounds funny, but maybe you don't need pillows. ;-)

Maybe a rough rustic fabric or wall 'tapestry/quilt' but in a more elegant color like aubergine? to dress up the space?

Torino Scotland Cowhide Pillow, Natural/Gold, 12"x20" · More Info
  • everdebz

Your room would balance with more something like art over fp, so that smaller items would be "easier" to choose.

King Diamond Wall Tapestry, 37"x53" · More Info
  • salonva

I think I really like that stacked mercury lamp best for your room. I like most of the lamps suggested but I think the last 2 Dave posted photoshopped are too plain and boring. I think the floor lamps suggested are great but also not sure where and how they would work in the room. Really nice room and I like your posters.

Although I almost always love Beth H's suggestions, in this case, I think I would not paint.